This discussion is closed.
sbee021
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am currently on my first year and studying adult nursing. I'm currently on my second placement and I have been informed today that I failed my first my placement for not completing my books and failure to inform my uni and mentors about sickness I had on my first placement.

My practice books have been taken today by the clinical placement facilitator and was advised not to attend my current placement anymore (2nd placement). I'm currently waiting for what's going to happen next.

I would like to find out if this has happened to anyone and what are the procedures and if they will give me another chance?

Many thanks.
Transw-Elspeth
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You should be given the opportunity to retake the placement and rejoin in the second year, it all depends on university policy, which differs from one institution to the next. Worst case scenario would be you having to start all over again.

(Original post by sbee021)
I am currently on my first year and studying adult nursing. I'm currently on my second placement and I have been informed today that I failed my first my placement for not completing my books and failure to inform my uni and mentors about sickness I had on my first placement.

My practice books have been taken today by the clinical placement facilitator and was advised not to attend my current placement anymore (2nd placement). I'm currently waiting for what's going to happen next.

I would like to find out if this has happened to anyone and what are the procedures and if they will give me another chance?

Many thanks.
paulbarlow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
why did you failto do them. why did you fail to tell the uni. if you have not been dishonest in anyway and it was simply down to lack of knowledge you may get a chance to redo. apart from those errors did your mentor pass you.
sbee021
Rep:
?
I have not been dishonest at all. They fail me for not attending placement and for not calling on sick. I have been feelibg depressed lately so during those time i wasnt bothered as i was feeling down all the time. They also fail me for not wearing the right shoes.
sbee021
Rep:
?
I have not been dishonest at all. They fail me for not attending placement and for not calling on sick. I have been feelibg depressed lately so during those time i wasnt bothered as i was feeling down all the time. They also fail me for not wearing the right shoes.

1. I have not been dishonest at all. They fail me for not attending placement and for not calling on sick. I have been feelibg depressed lately so during those time i wasnt bothered as i was feeling down all the time. They also fail me for not wearing the right shoes.
wbnurse
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Failing to ring in when you're sick is kind of being dishonest. It's unprofessional. If that was your job you'd of been in the office for a warning. If it was your job you'd ring in you just wouldn't not go in, placement shouldn't be treated any differently. Not meaning to sound harsh just telling you how it is. I hope you're given another chance good luck
KingGoonIan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello Sbee. Failing your placement is by no means the end of the world and thats coming from somebody who failed two placements in my time. Perhaps the area you were in just wasn't for you and thats ok.

To answer your question about what happens next: if you're university are doing things properly you should be given an action plan with SMART goals that are clear and achievable which you would take to your next placement. If they have not communicated this to you yet, I would ask them for an action plan and explain that you want to succeed next time.
comebackseason
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're all quite lucky you get to repeat placement. In Canada where I completed my nursing education if we failed placement we were removed from the program
KingGoonIan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by comebackseason)
You're all quite lucky you get to repeat placement. In Canada where I completed my nursing education if we failed placement we were removed from the program
What does that achieve? I find that difficult to believe.
comebackseason
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingGoonIan)
What does that achieve? I find that difficult to believe.
It's very true actually, many nursing programs only allow 1 failed clinic or none at all depending on if you're doing the graduate route program or not.

The admission standards are a lot more rigorous between 85-90% average in high school to get in which is the equivalent to a AAA or A*AA
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unauthorised absences are a serious matter .

you are not going to be able to retrospective medical evidence , but i strongly advise you to see your GP and get assessed with regard to the depression you claim to have.

failing to wear the correct footwear is a health and safety issue in many cases , although the anality of some hospitals / HEIs over insisting on smart shoes esp when worn with trouser uniforms is a bit stuck in the past...
paulbarlow
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ok i see. im dyslexic. my wife had to refer a first year because she was dyslexic but refused to acknowledge it or adapt to her learning problems. if the student had got support at uni she would have coped. re your not being bothered to turn up because you were depression without telling them. what did you think they would do.allow you to continue. imagine your a qualified nurse and you simply dont turn up. its dangerous. if your mentor picked up on your lack of interest. they would not be willing to help. ITS NOT JUST A TICK BOX PROCESS. you have to convince your mentor that you have achieved your goals. you failed the first one. its dead clear all students are told if sick call in. are we talking a few days or weeks.whatever your mentor is at risk if they passed an unfit person.

the shoes are an example of failing to follow instructions. if you were told that they did not meet the uniform standard and you refused to change again thats a warning sign. as a student your there to learn and the uniform is part of it.
tiffsssx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Heyy, I'm also in my first year and have just failed my second placement for not completing the online work, I have to undertake a 4 week redemption placement. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for failing, **** happens and it's not the end of the world.
paulbarlow
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
failing placements is very serious. your mentors really dont want to do it. if they can avoid it they will. to fail more than one placement should be the biggest warning against that student. you do get the odd bad mentor and if you do make sure you raise concerns early. dont leave it until the last moment. a failed practice placement unless there is a very decent reason could mean the end to your course. the unis should not allow a person to continue unless there are very strong grounds to believe its a one off. its really more important than the essays. a qualified nurse has stated you failed to meet your objectives. the op was depressed and failed to report it sick. so as far as work and the uni you were just not bothered. sadly there are students like that.
Aliclg74
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm having the same problem I feel as though I'm being bullied in my 2nd placement of the first year. This placement is in the stroke ward. I've got two extra weeks to complete my action plan and I dont want to go in.
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aliclg74)
I'm having the same problem I feel as though I'm being bullied in my 2nd placement of the first year. This placement is in the stroke ward. I've got two extra weeks to complete my action plan and I dont want to go in.
Have you raised the bullying issue with your mentor, the ward manager, university and the hospital education team? You can only get support for this if you do speak to these people.
If you don't go in - for any reason - you're not going to get your paperwork sorted and are guaranteed to fail.
username5761748
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by comebackseason)
In Germany we also have quite different rules. But then here academic training in nursing has just evolved in the past 15 years and ist still inclusive of the mandatory three year tec-voc training where you are hired by the training hospital and need to absolve a total of 2100 hours of theoretical/academic training and 2500 hours of practical training (placements in all areas of nursing i.e. adult, children, mental, elderly, home care) within 3 years.

If you fail the required practical tests for any training unit during placement, you are not allowed to perform the task on your own. But we cannot fail the placements themselves unless we miss more than 30 percent of the placement. However, as we are regularly employed by the hospital including receiving a salary you can be let go for behaviours such as the above after a first or second warning or in case of severe patient endagement even on the spot.

Nevertheless, you need to pass the pre-exam exams (practical, written, oral) at the end of year 2 in order to be allowed to sit the final exams at the end of year three. And not allowed to have missed more than 10% of either placement or theory hours (=not more than 12 weeks total, 6 weeks each). You are only allowed to repeat each pre-exam and exam once, if you fail this attempt in year three, you finally do not qualify as nurse and are categorized as nursing assistant (1-2 year training).

Now back to the reason given by the OP. Being sick or unwell, even with depression, might be an explanation for your behaviour but it is not an excuse. I do not know how it is in GB but here wards have to maintain a certain patient nursing staff ratio by law depending on the specialization of the ward. In ICU for example it is 2:1. Failure to do so might have consequences and puts wards and hospital at legal and thus finacial risks. Nursing is a profession with high responsibility and it starts with either showing up for for or calling in sick and might also include appropriate work wear
Last edited by username5761748; 1 month ago
Aliclg74
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Emily_B)
Have you raised the bullying issue with your mentor, the ward manager, university and the hospital education team? You can only get support for this if you do speak to these people.
If you don't go in - for any reason - you're not going to get your paperwork sorted and are guaranteed to fail.
It's the assessor and the pre-reg team that are doing the bullying
username5761748
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry just saw that the OP was 4 years old
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
18.05%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (18)
13.53%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
18.05%

Watched Threads