OCR AS English Literature 19/05/2017 Watch

Abirella
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys so I couldn't find any threads for this exam so I made one myself.
My exam will be on Hamlet and Rossetti poems. What topic do you think will come up for this year's paper? Also is there one question on character and the other theme based? Please if someone could clarify this for me it would be very useful.
username2575447
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing the same! My English teacher seems to think that (in terms of the Hamlet question), it won't be on Gertrude or Claudius as they have already come up in past exams. The Rossetti question was on Echo last year (I think?) so I'm presuming that it won't be based on that again.

The Hamlet question is multiple choice, so there will be one 'theme-based' question and one based on a character. There's only one for Rossetti that we have to answer.
Abirella
Rep:
?
(Original post by em.101)
I'm doing the same! My English teacher seems to think that (in terms of the Hamlet question), it won't be on Gertrude or Claudius as they have already come up in past exams. The Rossetti question was on Echo last year (I think?) so I'm presuming that it won't be based on that again.

The Hamlet question is multiple choice, so there will be one 'theme-based' question and one based on a character. There's only one for Rossetti that we have to answer.
Thanks for clarifying that for me.
So how is your revision going? What are you planning on doing for the last couple of days/hours before the exam? I am basically going to go through Hamlet again so I am going to read it again and try pick out quotes and also zoom in on each of the characters as well as the themes. To be honest I feel the least confident with poetry so I will focus on that tomorrow.
username2575447
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Abirella)
Thanks for clarifying that for me.
So how is your revision going? What are you planning on doing for the last couple of days/hours before the exam? I am basically going to go through Hamlet again so I am going to read it again and try pick out quotes and also zoom in on each of the characters as well as the themes. To be honest I feel the least confident with poetry so I will focus on that tomorrow.
I'm going to revise the Hamlet quotes by character (as I would usually choose the character based question), with main focus on Polonius, Laertes and Ophelia. I'm not doing Gertrude or Claudius or Hamlet (as I don't think there will be a question on him?). As well as the main links between poems in terms of structure, form and language.

I also have a law exam that afternoon so can't do as much as I wanted to for lit needles to say, I'm fairly likely to get home and collapse after tomorrow... :/ :/
Bismah Sikandar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ah, I am doing hamlet and Coleridge poems. I think the theme questions will be on Madness or duality and the character question will either be Laertes, Hamlet or Polonius because Gertrude (women) came up last yr, so they won't focus on Ophelia this time.
Good luck guys!
You will do just great.
username2575447
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bismah Sikandar)
Ah, I am doing hamlet and Coleridge poems. I think the theme questions will be on Madness or duality and the character question will either be Laertes, Hamlet or Polonius because Gertrude (women) came up last yr, so they won't focus on Ophelia this time.
Good luck guys!
You will do just great.
ohh okay. Do you think Denmark could come up for a character based question?
What would you comment on for duality?
rebecca0208
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i'm doing the same , any tips on revising ? i'm struggling with English but don't want to drop it next year ! predicted a B but thinking i can get a C as iv'e been so busy revising for other exams.
Bismah Sikandar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not sure if Denmark would come up, but Madness, imagery and corruption are major themes which may come up. In terms of Madness, you could mention:
-Ophelia, the most clearly and completely insane of the dramatis personae, has a terrible understanding of the secrets and ultimate fates of the other characters; she can sum up their peril easily, with a single flower given them!
- Our Prince of Denmark, however, has far more fickle bouts of insanity; he is "but mad north, northwest." His monologues show us that he is more than commonly insightful; he struggles alongside a select paramount of humanity with his questions of life and death and purpose and meaning. Half-sane, however, he remains grounded by confusion, remorse, conscience, and as a result, flounders in indecision. He can never achieve such complete abandon as Ophelia's madness allows; he can never drown in it, as she dis, figuratively and literally.
- In "Hamlet," madness affords a certain clarity; becomes like a second sanity--often sees a lot more than the conventional-sanity of the other characters. Consider the sheer ridiculousness of Polonius's "sage advice;" think of ordinary Osric, obtuse and comic. Their sanity is like a madness, blind to all the things which really matter, such as their ultimate fate in the play! Those mad, characters, however, can catch a glimpse of their significance, perhaps even foresee the fates of others.
For duality:
- Mostly every character presents a dual face.
-Claudius is presented as a satyr, which is half human and half beast; adding onto the duality of his nature. In some places, he is presented as wicked and manipulative, however sympathy is drawn to him in the prayer scene.
- Hamlet, he pretends to be mad, when he is not. He acts as a clown in some places, by using puns, but in other areas he is very critical of himself.
-Gertrude, says she loves Hamlet, and still has feelings for her late husband, however despite that, she still back's up Claudius when she is speaking to hamlet.
-Ophelia, she expresses her love to hamlet, but is also part of the plot (by claudius and polonius) against Hamlet. She is merely a puppet used to eradicate their plans.
-Polonius, he asks as a authoritarian father, wanting his children to be obedient, but sends a spy to France to spy on his son. He has no regards of either Ophelia's or Laertes feelings.
-Laertes, he was a friend of hamlet, but plots against him- in the sword fight attempting to kill him. However, it was him who finally told the truth to Hamlet at the end and thus Hamlet finally avenged for his Father's death.

Sorry, just tried typing my notes as fast as I can... Hope it helps!
Richard.T
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm Doing Othello and death of a salesman
Bismah Sikandar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rebecca0208)
i'm doing the same , any tips on revising ? i'm struggling with English but don't want to drop it next year ! predicted a B but thinking i can get a C as iv'e been so busy revising for other exams.
The way I am revising, is by looking at themes- making sure they all have the relevant AO's, then looking at characters- with AO's. Also, looking at different books, like Macbeth and greek mythology to link it back( although you don't have to)- but it's good for marks.
I've made a list of dramatic techniques along with quotes and analysis- so just going through that now. If you want I can upload some major quotes for Hamlet?
Bismah Sikandar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is a good essay to read:

In Hamlet, there were many themes such as revenge, appearance versus reality, insanity versus sanity, decay and corruption, and many more. Revenge theme is most important one of them, because without it none of the conflicts would happen. Hamlet would just live his normal life without disturbing the king. But other themes also important, as they help to make the story look better in many ways as spices on the food. By having revenge we have corruptions, murders, spying, lying and etc.. During the story, when Hamlet finds out that the king killed his father, he plans on revenging for his father's death. During his planning he kills Polonius. Then Laertes which is Polonius son finds out about his father murder and who's the murderer which is Hamlet. Then Learties starts to plan on murdering the Hamlet. Which is kind of irony on the Hamlet side. At the beginning of the story Hamlet meets the ghost. The ghost tells Hamlet that he is his father and told "Revenge his foul and most unnatural murder" (Hamlet 72). Ghost told Hamlet that he was murdered by his own brother, and he want's to get him revenged for his brother's murder. The Hamlet still was unsure if it was really his father or it was devil that wanted Hamlet to kill innocent man. So Hamlet started making plans that would prove that Claudius killed his father, and decide if the ghost is either his father or devil. Hamlet arranges group of players to perform existing play that is closely related to his father's murder, and he have done some tweaks to make the play even closer to the murder. Hamlet's intentions could be understood from this "I'll have these players Play something like the murder of my father Before mine uncle. I'll observe his looks;" (Hamlet 136). Which means that hes going to observer his uncle's reaction to the play and look for something unusual. By clausius reaction he's going to decide if Claudius really killed his father or not. Hamlet started the play and in the middle of play king Claudius got really upset, stopped the play and went out of the room. Hamlet got his proof and we can confirm that when he told "I'll take the ghost's word for a thousand pound." (Hamlet 172) and now he's one hundred percent sure that the ghost is his father. Hamlet wanted to kill Claudius as fast as he could. When Hamlet found Claudius he was praying, but then Hamlet decided to kill Claudius later when he would have sins and would be sent to hell when Hamlet would kill him and not to the heaven as Hamlet would be doing him favor of killing him"A villain kills my father, and, for that, I, his sole son, do this same villain send To heaven. Oh, this is hire and salary, not revenge." (Hamlet 186). Later during the conversation between Hamlet and his mother Gertrude, Hamlet finds out that someone is spying on them under curtains, he thought that it was the king Claudius. So he took his knife and stabbed threw curtains. Then later he finds out that it was not king Claudius but Polonius. When Laertes came back from other country, he finds out that his father Polonius is dead. He finds out that his father was murdered by his Learties founds out that his father Polonius was murdered by Hamlet. The fact of his father murder he want's to revenge for his father by saying "Let come what comes, only I'll be revenged Most thoroughly for my father's death." (Hamlet 234). Claudius also supports him and help him plan to kill the Hamlet because he wants him dead since Hamlet in his opinion went outside sanity, and by letting Laertes kill Hamlet would remove big problem from his life. King Claudius announces sword fight between Hamlet and Laertes, to make sure Hamlet dies Learties cheats by putting poisons on the sword. After the fight Laertes managed to scratch Hamlet which is enough. Later Laertes is dying and told Hamlet "To my revenge; but in my terms of honour" (Hamlet 296). He told hamlet that he's sorry about what happened and it shouldn't ever happened. He's trying to get forgiveness from hamlet and keep his name as good. And Hamlet did forgive him. The fight caused deaths of Claudius, Hamlet, Laertes, and Gertrude. Later the Denmark was taken over by Fortinbras. Revenge theme appears in the story very constantly. And we even could see when there's two revenges is going on in the story like when Hamlet wanted revenge Claudius for murdering his father. And when Laertes want to revenge Hamlet for murdering his father Polonius In conclusion we could say that the story wouldn't go that way if we would not use revenge in this story, therefore revenge is the major theme in the story. At the end of story the revenge is solved.
Abirella
Rep:
?
So how did everyone find the exam? I thought the Hamlet question was alright but then Poetry??! Nah it went downhill from there and the poem was Goblin Market! who would have thought?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2575447
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So how did everyone find the exam? I thought the Hamlet question was alright but then Poetry??! Nah it went downhill from there and the poem was Goblin Market! who would have thought?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only transformation going on will be A- levels to BTEC next year.

I went into the exam and had a mental block hahaa. Forgot most of the stuff I revised but I'm hoping it will enough to see me get a B at least
username1941981
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I thought it was okay, could have been worse but could have been much better! I was adamant that they wouldn't ask that sort of theme question and studied madness etc... some how in the spur of the moment I decided to do the Polonius question, luckily Polonius was the last person I looked over on my revision cards before the exam. They could have chosen much better questions though. In terms of poetry I have no idea, I just wrote down whatever I could in the time (which is no where near enough time to comment on everything they require in the essay)
Abirella
Rep:
?
(Original post by em.101)
Only transformation going on will be A- levels to BTEC next year.

I went into the exam and had a mental block hahaa. Forgot most of the stuff I revised but I'm hoping it will enough to see me get a B at least
Haha don't worry you probably did well. Btw what other subjects do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Abirella
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilymcpartland)
I thought it was okay, could have been worse but could have been much better! I was adamant that they wouldn't ask that sort of theme question and studied madness etc... some how in the spur of the moment I decided to do the Polonius question, luckily Polonius was the last person I looked over on my revision cards before the exam. They could have chosen much better questions though. In terms of poetry I have no idea, I just wrote down whatever I could in the time (which is no where near enough time to comment on everything they require in the essay)
Wow you went for the Polonius question I didn't have many quotes on Polonius to back up my point, so I went for the Revenge question. I also spent most of my time on Hamlet. Poetry analysis is really one of my weaknesses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
rebecca0208
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did anyone else spend a lot of time talking about hamlet? His antic disposition and how his thinking too precisely leads to revenge not being executed!? Etc inability to kill Claudius in act 3
Annabel33
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg I know right! I barely revised Goblin Market because my teacher said it was so unlikely to come up!! What did you write about in it?
username2575447
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Haha don't worry you probably did well. Btw what other subjects do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really hope so hahaha. I did English Language and Law alongside Lit
Abirella
Rep:
?
(Original post by Annabel33)
Omg I know right! I barely revised Goblin Market because my teacher said it was so unlikely to come up!! What did you write about in it?
I wrote about how Laura got closer to the Goblins HAHAHA ikr I failed miserably! I honestly did not know what to write about ? How did she transform? What did you write? Also I compared it to Good Friday because of the Crucifixion and that Lizzie sacrificed her life for Laura... I wrote **** tbh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (166)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.54%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.61%

Watched Threads