The Student Room Group

Is B grade bad?

Heyo, Im resitting my units and ive worked out if do really well in them, i will still get a B overall, my friend told me that its unfortunate because i got have gotten an A if i work hard the first time and now i feel really bad, the only grade i can actually get overall is a B, if i got that would it be considered bad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.
On TSR, yes. You will do nothing with your life.

In reality, no.
Not in any way, a B is still above average in many subjects, what are your predictions for all your subjects?
Reply 4
Original post by programmedrobot
Not in any way, a B is still above average in many subjects, what are your predictions for all your subjects?

DD in btec
Original post by Pinky018
Heyo, Im resitting my units and ive worked out if do really well in them, i will still get a B overall, my friend told me that its unfortunate because i got have gotten an A if i work hard the first time and now i feel really bad, the only grade i can actually get overall is a B, if i got that would it be considered bad?

It really depends on what you want to do. The cliche 'if you try your best...' is cliche for a reason- a B won't make it so you can't do anything in life ever, even if some of the people on here may act like that, as mentioned above. If you've worked hard, then it doesn't matter what your friend says, you'll have done yourself proud and you shouldn't feel bad about the grade.
In the instance that you don't feel that you've worked as hard as you could previously, now's the time to start! You seem to be focussed on what you want and how you're going to get it, so it doesn't seem unlikely that you'll get that B. Good luck :biggrin:
I would be devastated if I got a B
Original post by feministy

That's not very encouraging

It is different per person, thus the 'trying your best' remark. I didn't want to give issue a blanket statement when I'm not aware of the circumstances. Are you doing exams this year?
Original post by Upliftting
you feminist, get out of here, we dont want your discouragement here.

Don't start a feminism debate here, please. It isn't going to help the discussion for anyone, as it is not even close to the topic at hand.
Original post by computernerd1001
Don't start a feminism debate here, please. It isn't going to help the discussion for anyone, as it is not even close to the topic at hand.

NO
Original post by computernerd1001
It is different per person, thus the 'trying your best' remark. I didn't want to give issue a blanket statement when I'm not aware of the circumstances. Are you doing exams this year?

Nope.
It's different for everyone though.
I wouldn't say a B is bad for everyone.
A B would be bad for me because I know I can do better.
That depends, if your uni offer is asking of a B then it's not, If it's asking of an A or A* then yes it's bad
But overall on the grade scale without context, it's not bad
A B isn't bad, ask @Kyx here, Bs make you bascially a genius
Nope.
It's different for everyone though.
I wouldn't say a B is bad for everyone.
A B would be bad for me because I know I can do better.

That's fair enough. I just wanted to follow up on the point, as I see far too many people comparing themselves to each other in this respect...myself included. It can be hard not to on a site like this :smile:

*Edit- wrong too. And I'm supposed to be an English Language student :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Depends on the subject, and what you think you're able to achieve. If I was to get a B in some of my subjects I would be absolutely gutted, but in others I'd be fine with it. This question is definitely dependent on an individual to individual basis.
It depends on the person to be honest
But for standard, I would say it's a good grade as it's above a C pass
but for example, I have been getting a*'s/8 in certain subjects so a B would look bad but it all depends on the person's capability and talent, and how hard they work.
Original post by Reality Check
Example 32,083 in our series: "Only on TSR"

Only 32,083? :wink:

Damnit, I've already rep'd you recently. Stop making good posts :tongue:
If I get a B in any of my as-levels other than english I'm gonna be seriously pissed the **** off but I doubt that that will happen hopefully. However a B grade is still fairly good and remember a-level is a lot harder than gcse so getting a B in a-level is still probably more of an achievement that getting an A* at gcse.
If you go to a good school:

GCSE - a bit
AS Level/A2 - all depends on what subject. A B in Business isn't the same as Further Maths. A B in further maths as a 4th AS level (as long as you are doing as many 4 AS and 3 A2 altogether) can get you into top uni courses for engineering/physics/economics and is good, whilst a B in business as one of your 3 AS levels puts you in far worse standings than the former.

Quick Reply