SmurfyZ
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi there, I was just stuck on a question.

OCR Physics Electrons Waves and Photons paper.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/319537-...nd-photons.pdf

Markscheme - http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/320124-...otons-june.pdf

Question 5 d ii

Q: The detector is rotated 90 degrees about the axis through OQ (what is the effect of the intensity heard.)

How do you know that the signal is (vertically) polarised like the markscheme says, there's no indication of that in the question. Also microwaves are EM waves which are transverse. Thus why does the signal fall to zero?

Your help would be very much appreciated!!!
Adam_1999
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The two speakers are producing plane polarised waves.
SmurfyZ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Adam_1999)
The two speakers are producing plane polarised waves.

But how do you know that, microwaves are transverse waves which are normally not polarised
Adam_1999
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SmurfyZ)
But how do you know that, microwaves are transverse waves which are normally not polarised
The two sources interfere constructively at O; this causes the waves to vibrate in only one plane.

This is a complete guess. Consult google for more info.
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there, I was just stuck on a question.

OCR Physics Electrons Waves and Photons paper.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/319537-...nd-photons.pdf

Markscheme - http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/320124-...otons-june.pdf

Question 5 d ii

Q: The detector is rotated 90 degrees about the axis through OQ (what is the effect of the intensity heard.)

How do you know that the signal is (vertically) polarised like the markscheme says, there's no indication of that in the question. Also microwaves are EM waves which are transverse. Thus why does the signal fall to zero?

Your help would be very much appreciated!!!
I can understand the frustration. I agree that the question is not clearly whether the microwaves are plane-polarised from the source.

My guess is when the question mentions a polariser is placed at the detection point, the transverse waves should be polarised vertically at the source.

You may also want to check with your teacher what are all the necessary conditions for transverse waves to have clear interference pattern. If your teacher include the transverse waves must have same direction of polarisation, then whenever you see such question that involves transverse waves, the waves must be polarised.
SmurfyZ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eimmanuel)
I can understand the frustration. I agree that the question is not clearly whether the microwaves are plane-polarised from the source.

My guess is when the question mentions a polariser is placed at the detection point, the transverse waves should be polarised vertically at the source.

You may also want to check with your teacher what are all the necessary conditions for transverse waves to have clear interference pattern. If your teacher include the transverse waves must have same direction of polarisation, then whenever you see such question that involves transverse waves, the waves must be polarised.
Cheers man, i'll definitely check with my teacher.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (92)
13.81%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (56)
8.41%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (85)
12.76%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (80)
12.01%
Other reasons are stopping me going (86)
12.91%
Nothing is stopping me going (267)
40.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed