Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering whether you have to buy the gowns for matriculation. I mean I'll get the subfusc, but is it better to hire the gown (is it possible??) or to get a second hand one? Or just buy a new one?
    Also, subfusc trousers - can they be pinstripe?
    And what sleeve length should the blouse have?

ReputationRep:
    I know for graduation gowns you usualy hire them, I can't imagine its any different at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    I know some colleges (such as Keble) remains the custom of dining formally in Hall with waiter service each night except Saturday.
    So maybe students need to wear gowns to have supper? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It is possible to buy secondhand undergraduate gowns. You need one throughout your college career as gowns and subfusc must be worn for exams. I know one college where gowns (but not subfusc) must be worn in the presence of the Master (at Master's collections for example).

They can be quite strict about subfusc during exams. I know that in the height of summer those wearing skirts and bare legs were threatened with being reported if they were seen doing it again!!

ReputationRep:
    Are they specific gowns to Oxford? It's just my mum has got her one that she would give me but I wonder if it has to be a special Oxford one?
    Help please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    Are they specific gowns to Oxford? It's just my mum has got her one that she would give me but I wonder if it has to be a special Oxford one?
    Help please?
    Yes. Shepherd and Woodward, and Ede and Ravenscroft are the gown people. In Oxford, the place to go is Shepherd and Woodward. I have a Shepherd and Woodward Scholar's gown, but I don't think I'll be allowed it in Oxford.

http://www.shepherdandwoodward.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Yes. Shepherd and Woodward, and Ede and Ravenscroft are the gown people. In Oxford, the place to go is Shepherd and Woodward. I have a Shepherd and Woodward Scholar's gown, but I don't think I'll be allowed it in Oxford.

http://www.shepherdandwoodward.co.uk/
    Thanks Hornblower. Annoying to have to buy one - I bet I'll look silly in it too!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    Thanks Hornblower. Annoying to have to buy one - I bet I'll look silly in it too!!
    Don't be silly! The gown maketh the man! I wore mine for over a year for prefect duties. I wore a special blue one as well.

ReputationRep:
    yes.

they're like £30 or something.. some people wouldn't bat an eyelid at spending that on alcohol on a night out in fresher's week.

you will need it to matriculate, to sit exams in & probably for Formal Hall / President's Collections.

There are various types of gowns (check those websites Hornblower linked to) - but basically you'll need a 'Commoners gown' (unless you're an organ scholar). Though you may get to upgrade to a 'Scholar's gown' depend on prelim performance.. *fingers crossed! *

Didn't see anyone in pinstrip trousers, no. They say "dark" so..

Blouse = for matriculation i followed the rules to the letter & wore long sleeved (plus it's October - it was chilly!) but for exams i wore a variety of lengths from 3/4 to full & blouses with detail or without, oh & a skirt with a lace inset & was fine. oh & technically it should be "stockings" with the skirts, but then i enjoy following that particular rule!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Don't be silly! The gown maketh the man! I wore mine for over a year for prefect duties. I wore a special blue one as well.
    A blue one! At my school the teachers wore them to some functions - A tab deputy head had a blue and gold one - yuck!

ReputationRep:
    it says in one of things that i got thru the post the other day that you have to wear them to go to the bodleian library? is this really true?! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the relpies! I'm still wondering about 2nd hand gowns? Or should I just buy the new one? I wouldn't spend £30 on a night out, purrsonally...and there are all the other fees such as freshers fair, caution money, books, etc, etc...
    And OOh!!! In my fresher's info I was told that St Anne's provide bed linen. Can I still take my own, to make the room feel more like home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dishwasher)
    Thanks for the relpies! I'm still wondering about 2nd hand gowns? Or should I just buy the new one? I wouldn't spend £30 on a night out, purrsonally...and there are all the other fees such as freshers fair, caution money, books, etc, etc...
    And OOh!!! In my fresher's info I was told that St Anne's provide bed linen. Can I still take my own, to make the room feel more like home?
    In some colleges you may take your own bed linen but you have to wash it yourself whereas the scouts will change the bed linen provided. I don't know about St Anne's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I know for graduation gowns you usualy hire them, I can't imagine its any different at Oxford.
    Oh no, this is one place where Oxbridge really do differ

Seeing as you guys have to wear gowns at Oxford even more than we superior students do (we don't wear them for exams), I'd definitely advise buying one. And it has to be a special Oxford commoners' one - your version of Ryder and Amies must be rolling in it, just same as ours is :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Like someone else said, some colleges aren't keen on this idea and you will have to wash and make your bed yourself (i'll be too lazy for that). If you really want to make your room cosy, just buy a cheap throw-over & cushions (in whatever colours you want!) to cover the dingy bed duvet during the day and that way the room looks nice but you still get your bedding done for you! hehe. That's my plan anyways!

ReputationRep:
    Ta!

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering whether you have to buy the gowns for matriculation. I mean I'll get the subfusc, but is it better to hire the gown (is it possible??) or to get a second hand one? Or just buy a new one?
    Also, subfusc trousers - can they be pinstripe?
    And what sleeve length should the blouse have?
    buy one - you can usually pick up a cheap commoners gown on www.dailyinfo.co.uk

Colleges tend to have a few you can hire for a few quid a day, but you will need one for matriculation, exams etc so it's better to buy.

ReputationRep:
    I have a *****y bit of ribbon and a graduates gown up for sale if anyone is interested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I don't really have much (any) in the way of "formal" clothes, what do I need to buy? Black jacket/trousers, white shirt and bow-tie? Formal-ish shoes? I'm a bit clueless to be honest!

From a Wadham students page:

Sub-fusc literally means sombre clothing, and it is the outfit you are required to wear for Matriculation, as well as all Oxford exams. There also exist Oxford myths about full-fusc, thought to mean a suit of armour. Rumour would have it that it’s possible to wear full-fusc to exams, but we have yet to find the authorative last word on the issue.

But back to sub-fusc: for boys, this means a dark suit, dark socks, black shoes or boots, a plain white shirt, and a white bow tie. For girls, it is a white shirt, dark trousers or a skirt with black tights or socks, black shoes or boots, and a ridiculously overpriced ribbon thingy worn round the neck (the big debate being whether to tie it like a tie or like a bow). Also, both sexes need a gown and a mortarboard, although you are not allowed to wear the mortarboard until you graduate, but you need to have one with you at matriculation and exams.

Don’t worry about getting all the stuff though, Matriculation is at the end of 1st week, which is two weeks after you get here, so there is time. Charity shops will have cheap suits, and very occasionally a second hand gown and mortarboard. The SU have gowns to borrow, and college parents can also lend you stuff but some of the academic outfitters will have some 2nd hand stuff to sell if you get their early enough. White bow ties, ribbons and gowns in Oxford are very expensive, for what they are. Whilst you might want to buy this stuff eventually, it’s worth hunting around first and see what options you have.

ReputationRep:
    Just want to some insane questions:
    What are the differences between subfusc, Commoner's gown, academic gown, scholar's gown? Who should wear them? When and where should they be worn? Which should be worn in a Formal Hall?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.