Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keisiuho)
    Just want to some insane questions:
    What are the differences between subfusc, Commoner's gown, academic gown, scholar's gown? Who should wear them? When and where should they be worn? Which should be worn in a Formal Hall?
    I believe (but I'm not certain as haven't started @ Oxford yet!!):

Subfusc = smart dress worn under gown for matriculation, formal hall, exams etc. Usually white shirt/blouse, black trousers/skirt, smart shoes and for girls that strange black ribbony thing around the neck!

Commoner's Gown = worn by all 1st years and anyone in subsequent years who did not acheive distinction/1st in prelims/exams (ie. most ppl!).

Scholar's Gown = a slightly different gown worn by people who are classed as Scholars/Exhibitioners who were awared 1st/distinction in exams (such as the wonderful Elpaw on here!)

Academic Gown = i think this is worn on graduation and once you are classed as a post-grad or fellow

In formal hall you wear the gown that applies to your situation. For all firstr year's this is a Commoner's Gown

ReputationRep:
    bought my stuff (well the rents did) in the varasity shop today, total - jus over £71 - for: commoners gown, mortorboard, ribbon thing and college scarf with crest - nb they didnt ahve the matric stuff on display, i asked for it and they got it. lol i asked for it in one oxfordy clothing shop and the person did not have a clue what I was going on about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Didn't see anyone in pinstrip trousers, no. They say "dark" so..
    I've seen people wearing pin stripes. I've been told they're allowed as long as the stripes aren't too thick and noticeable...and yeah, must be dark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    bought my stuff (well the rents did) in the varasity shop today, total - jus over £71 - for: commoners gown, mortorboard, ribbon thing and college scarf with crest - nb they didnt ahve the matric stuff on display, i asked for it and they got it. lol i asked for it in one oxfordy clothing shop and the person did not have a clue what I was going on about!
    That'll be me tomorrow! I'm not sure whether to buy the college scarf or not? I know they are quite common, but is it silly to buy it when I haven't even started there yet? What does everyone think? I'll be getting the silly ribbon thing, mortarboard nd gown though 2moz - thank god my rents are coming to pay for it all!!!

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I think I might just get the women's soft cap instead of the mortar board...do people wear these?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dishwasher)
    Actually, I think I might just get the women's soft cap instead of the mortar board...do people wear these?

not really. The mortar boards are a lot nicer and won't give you such bad hat hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    That'll be me tomorrow! I'm not sure whether to buy the college scarf or not? I know they are quite common, but is it silly to buy it when I haven't even started there yet? What does everyone think? I'll be getting the silly ribbon thing, mortarboard nd gown though 2moz - thank god my rents are coming to pay for it all!!!
    Whatever you do, don't wear the scarf until you get there.

ReputationRep:
    not really. The mortar boards are a lot nicer and won't give you such bad hat hair.
    Really? I though the mortar boards looked a bit odd...though I guess I'll just wait til I get there...
    The hat also looked quite cute on the picture...though maybe if they had another model for the board I would be more considerate!
    http://www.shepherdandwoodward.co.uk...ssories_1.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Whatever you do, don't wear the scarf until you get there.
    Lol, don't worry I wasn't planning to. Just thought if I get it 2moz then rents are footing the bill! Hehe, I'll probably keep it in hiding until december when everyone will wear them because it's too cold otherwise!!!

to helenia / any other tabs wandering into here for some reason... what about cambridge...

i havent had any freshers info so please forgive me if I'm stupid

when do *we* have to matriculate?

are 2nd hand gowns pretty readily available? how do I find one? do i look for shifty people lurking around muttering "want some crack? want some gowns?"? or is there some kind of accepted place to advertise them i should look? (I did actually try ebay, but it came up with nothing after several months..)

if anyone has mates that are wanting to part with their old pembroke gown (trusst me to go to one of the colleges with "special" ones...)....you know where I am...

rosie

also... does anyone know what the hell a "saxony wrap" is? Google has failed me here...

it was on the AE Clothier website with the gowns... as one of the options like poly/cotton, all cotton etc...

what IS it.. and can you wear that instead of a regular gown... or what?

ReputationRep:
    I believe (but I'm not certain as haven't started @ Oxford yet!!):

Subfusc = smart dress worn under gown for matriculation, formal hall, exams etc. Usually white shirt/blouse, black trousers/skirt, smart shoes and for girls that strange black ribbony thing around the neck!

Commoner's Gown = worn by all 1st years and anyone in subsequent years who did not acheive distinction/1st in prelims/exams (ie. most ppl!).

Scholar's Gown = a slightly different gown worn by people who are classed as Scholars/Exhibitioners who were awared 1st/distinction in exams (such as the wonderful Elpaw on here!)

Academic Gown = i think this is worn on graduation and once you are classed as a post-grad or fellow

In formal hall you wear the gown that applies to your situation. For all firstr year's this is a Commoner's Gown
    oh I originally thought subfusc clothing includes also a gown and a mortarboard

so in a formal hall, i should wear a gown, jacket and tie?

thanks for your reply anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    to helenia / any other tabs wandering into here for some reason... what about cambridge...

i havent had any freshers info so please forgive me if I'm stupid

when do *we* have to matriculate?
    rosie
    The tabs don't have a matriculation ceemony as such. It's a really informal affair, they just put their signature in a book in college.

(Original post by slinec)
    The tabs don't have a matriculation ceemony as such. It's a really informal affair, they just put their signature in a book in college.
    i was pretty sure we still had to wear gowns though... ? oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    Varies between colleges. Our matriculation isn't as grand as Oxford's, basically you'll have your big group photo taken at some point, then in the evening there's a chapel service (not compulsory) and matric dinner (compulsory). At Clare we had to wear a shirt and black trousers/skirt - I think the shirt was meant to be white, but not everyone's was. And you'll need a gown for the photo and for dinner.

As for gowns, wait till you come up - my college students' union was selling them cheaper than Ryder & Amies etc on the first day, so I got my parents to get one. Less sure about second hand ones, but there are probably some around, just make sure you get your college one, because Cambridge college gowns vary, whereas Oxford ones don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keisiuho)
    oh I originally thought subfusc clothing includes also a gown and a mortarboard

so in a formal hall, i should wear a gown, jacket and tie?

thanks for your reply anyway
    Yes, and some trousers I hope!!!!! The jacket is optional I believe, but must be worn under the gown. I bought mine today - my parents were like "is that it?" as they expected it to be really long etc like a proper full gown that you wear for graduation. Also got the motarboard, the silly black ribbon and my Lincoln Scarf. Grand total: just over £71! Thank god my rents were paying! hehe

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and some trousers I hope!!!!! The jacket is optional I believe, but must be worn under the gown. I bought mine today - my parents were like "is that it?" as they expected it to be really long etc like a proper full gown that you wear for graduation. Also got the motarboard, the silly black ribbon and my Lincoln Scarf. Grand total: just over £71! Thank god my rents were paying! hehe

You could have had mine for £20!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    You could have had mine for £20!
    I'll have your gown

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I'll have your gown

I sold it last week on dailyinfo

Keep your eye out on the site - there's always a wealth of grad gowns on there www.dailyinfo.co.uk

Also keep an eye on you college MCR notice board.

As a graduate I probably wouldn't bother with a gown unless your College have strict dining dress codes. Most colleges have a gowns that you can hire. For example Wolfie have about 30 and charge £2 a day (inc board/cap). I've only worn mine twice! Will make it 3 times on graduation - and then deliver it to it's new owner

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't even have to buy/rent one if they'd let me wear my Cambridge gown! :mad:

I'll buy one anyway. Have to spend my grant on something

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.