Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one that thinks this gown thing seems a bit silly? Everyone seems to think its a big deal somehow. I didn't apply to Oxford because of the historical traditions, I applied because academically, its one of the best.

What's the point of the gown idea anyway? So that students can feel superior to everyone else?

It all seems worryingly close to the concept of school uniform, and since its four years since I was last at school and had to worry about pedantic uniform regulations, it seems like a big step backwards.

ReputationRep:
    I think its fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayzd)
    Am I the only one that thinks this gown thing seems a bit silly? Everyone seems to think its a big deal somehow. I didn't apply to Oxford because of the historical traditions, I applied because academically, its one of the best.

What's the point of the gown idea anyway? So that students can feel superior to everyone else?

It all seems worryingly close to the concept of school uniform, and since its four years since I was last at school and had to worry about pedantic uniform regulations, it seems like a big step backwards.
    Other unis outside of Oxbridge use gowns (Durham and York do for matriculation). Also if you're in one of HM forces (even at cadet level) you can wear your uniform rather than sub fusc/gown.

Also of interest, over the last few years - the last I remember being in 2003, Oxford students got to vote on whether sub-fusc should be ousted. It's still there, so isn't actually something forced on people by the University but favoured by students themselves.

In the Oxford handbook, there's usually a big chunk on the history of sub-fusc. I have to admit to kind of liking it. It saves you having to decided what to wear to exams!

Plus if you use it correctly, you need not buy a single drink out of your own money whilst on the town following matriculation. It's amazing how much silly American and Japanese tourists will pay to take your photo!

ReputationRep:
    These little quirky things make Oxford a bit special

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    These little quirky things make Oxford a bit special
    Yep, i think it's Harry Potter-y

(Original post by fayzd)

I think it's daft as well, but it's one of the things you have to comply with..

Personally I would like them not to have gowns at all. I think some of the ancient traaditiony stuff like that can be one of the things that puts people of applying , especially if they come from non-traditional backgrounds...

having said that I'm not going toi try and stage a huge protest against gowns in my first week

ReputationRep:
    personally i find the gown symbolises equality more than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    personally i find the gown symbolises equality more than anything else.
    Well, there used to be three types of commoner's gown: the bog-standard normal one, a gentleman's one with silk, and a nobleman's one with gold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Well, there used to be three types of commoner's gown: the bog-standard normal one, a gentleman's one with silk, and a nobleman's one with gold.
    but there isn't now

ReputationRep:
    equality? it's called a commoners gown, and the better you do the better gown you can wear, hardly shows equality.

anyway, I'm jus thinking of not getting one and seeing how it goes when I get there... if I really need one then I suppose I'll just have to buy one when I'm there. Am not really too bothered, just would rather spend the money on something nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dazbradbury)
    equality? it's called a commoners gown, and the better you do the better gown you can wear, hardly shows equality.

anyway, I'm jus thinking of not getting one and seeing how it goes when I get there... if I really need one then I suppose I'll just have to buy one when I'm there. Am not really too bothered, just would rather spend the money on something nice!
    You won't be allowed to take any University exams (and maybe not College ones, depending on your college) without one, so that would stop you progressing through your course!

ReputationRep:
    lol, yeh, I understand that. Was commenting more on wether to get one prior to going down or not, and wether to actually buy a new one, borrow one or what...

ReputationRep:
    lol, yeh, I understand that. Was commenting more on wether to get one prior to going down or not, and wether to actually buy a new one, borrow one or what...
    As an undergrad I would just buy one - you'll get it's value out of it - unlike graduates, where by the gown is a con and a waste of money! As a grad you usually only wear it three times : matriculation, viva and graduation!

(Original post by hornblower)
    ione of the cambridge supplier people do poly/cotton, poly , and pure cotton, all at different prices.... perhaps this is the modern equivalent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    ione of the cambridge supplier people do poly/cotton, poly , and pure cotton, all at different prices.... perhaps this is the modern equivalent
    You can get Oxford gowns in all the different mixes too - stick to cheap and go for nasty poly! Itches like hell, but you rarely need to iron it

(Original post by Fluffy)
    You can get Oxford gowns in all the different mixes too - stick to cheap and go for nasty poly! Itches like hell, but you rarely need to iron it
    i think poky cotton was actually cheaper than pure poly, for some reason!

ReputationRep:

it shows a proper meritocracy...

Anyway, it's definitely worth buying one as an undergrad - it's entirely up to you whether you get one new or secondhand, but either way it won't be more than £25ish and you'll certainly wear it enough to justify that - there's matriculation, formal college occassions, formal hall, exams etc...

ReputationRep:
    You can buy a gown and hat through the OUSU, cheaper than getting one from Ede and Ravenscroft. Just got my freshers pack through and it talks about them there.

Quick question: Do all people who get a 1st on their Mods get to wear a Scholars gown? Is there any other advantage to having a 1st in them? I know at some Cambridge colleges people who get a 1st go to the top of the room ballot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    You can buy a gown and hat through the OUSU, cheaper than getting one from Ede and Ravenscroft. Just got my freshers pack through and it talks about them there.

Quick question: Do all people who get a 1st on their Mods get to wear a Scholars gown? Is there any other advantage to having a 1st in them? I know at some Cambridge colleges people who get a 1st go to the top of the room ballot.
    I've just sent off my order to the OUSU.

I'm not sure if getting a 1 in prelims guarantees you becoming a scholar. If you do become a scholar or exhibitioner, then more is expected of you and your status is reviewed regularly. I like the scholar's gown very much.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all. Went to Oxford again today. Bought a mortars hat, tie and gown- the hat thingy made me look silly

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.