The Student Room Group

Why do so many people think private schools should be banned?

I was on debate.org and I noticed that 55% of people voted 'Yes' for banning private schools. I understand that people who search 'should private schools be banned' are more likely to support banning them than not, but that figure is still alarming to me.

It seems that the main argument is that they're 'unfair', which seems awfully Communist to me. Private schools are just another paid service like hairdressers or taxi drivers and are not inherently harmful to the people who work for or use them, so I don't see why there could be any reason to ban them except for, ahem, unfairness.

I agree that privately educated kids are often at an advantage, but that speaks more about the lack of quality in the state sector to me. State education is often disgraceful and the government needs to make very many state-funded schools, and that includes Grammar schools and academies, academically competitive with all but the top private schools.

In conclusion, unfairness is a pathetic reason to support banning private schools that reeks of resentment and Communism. The best thing that can be done is to improve state schools to the point where many private schools just aren't worth it. This is the best scenario for the people and the country.
Terrible title. You obviously know why a lot of people think that private schools should be banned, but you actually posted to tell us why you disagree with them. If I had known this I wouldn't have clicked on the thread.

0 out of 1 users found your title helpful.
Reply 2
im sexy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending