The Student Room Group

Mature Student Returning To Studies

Hello Guys!

I am looking for general advice in regards to getting back into studies. I am 20 years old, soon to be 22, and looking to go to university. I have always wanted to go but was never sure on what I wanted to study. I know my interests (Maths/Physics) but this was not something I pursued at A-Level (I had 'wealthy barrister' on the brain opposed to what I am actually passionate about). I did well at GCSE with A-Levels being more like a train wreck in comparison, studying Politics, Economics, Psychology and Law. They are mostly essay based subjects, something that was clearly not my forte. I was able to just about make it through the 2 years but ultimately withdrawn my UCAS application. I got CDDU...

I have been working in estate agency ever since; started, and closed, a business with one ongoing and now leaving in September for ICS (A 3-month volunteering placement working with budding entrepreneurs in a developing country). I have decided that I need to go into what I am passionate about, Physics and Astronomy, however, I am not sure on what route I should take.

I am prepared to do both A-Level Maths and Physics (I have friends studying both at Uni and they have kindly offered to help me if I get stuck!). I have also looked into Access HE courses etc. I will begin studying straight away, looking to enrol for exams in summer 2019. BUT I believe they are bringing out the new Maths A-Level for that year... IDEAL!

Should I look to do an access course too? My closest college does not offer a maths/science based HE course but distance learning is always an option. I will be sticking to the maximum of 2 A-Levels. I want to achieve the best I can and since I will be working concurrently, I will be limited on time for studying. I can do them in 1 year but I am not rushing so 2 years is an option, but not ideal. This will all be distance learning.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read through. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I will apologise in advance if I have posted this in the wrong thread.

Harry
Original post by HarrysimsEu
Hello Guys!

I am looking for general advice in regards to getting back into studies. I am 20 years old, soon to be 22, and looking to go to university. I have always wanted to go but was never sure on what I wanted to study. I know my interests (Maths/Physics) but this was not something I pursued at A-Level (I had 'wealthy barrister' on the brain opposed to what I am actually passionate about). I did well at GCSE with A-Levels being more like a train wreck in comparison, studying Politics, Economics, Psychology and Law. They are mostly essay based subjects, something that was clearly not my forte. I was able to just about make it through the 2 years but ultimately withdrawn my UCAS application. I got CDDU...

I have been working in estate agency ever since; started, and closed, a business with one ongoing and now leaving in September for ICS (A 3-month volunteering placement working with budding entrepreneurs in a developing country). I have decided that I need to go into what I am passionate about, Physics and Astronomy, however, I am not sure on what route I should take.

I am prepared to do both A-Level Maths and Physics (I have friends studying both at Uni and they have kindly offered to help me if I get stuck!). I have also looked into Access HE courses etc. I will begin studying straight away, looking to enrol for exams in summer 2019. BUT I believe they are bringing out the new Maths A-Level for that year... IDEAL!

Should I look to do an access course too? My closest college does not offer a maths/science based HE course but distance learning is always an option. I will be sticking to the maximum of 2 A-Levels. I want to achieve the best I can and since I will be working concurrently, I will be limited on time for studying. I can do them in 1 year but I am not rushing so 2 years is an option, but not ideal. This will all be distance learning.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read through. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I will apologise in advance if I have posted this in the wrong thread.

Harry

I would work backwards:

1. Identify the courses you wish to apply for and where. I had a look and degrees in Physics and Astrophyics are 3-4 years.

You need to decide what grades you are capable of. AAC is not going to get you into some places.

You can get away with lower grades if you do the course with a foundation year.

Research which courses you want and whether A levels or an Access course is best.

Imo A levels offer you greater flexibility and more options.
You need to think carefully whether you cna mange distance learning an whether you can do it in 1 year imo you will need two otherwise you will crash and burn.
Distance learning isnt easy and with physics there will be lab work. College would be better imo, but again you need to do the research to see who will offer it you.

I thought there were going to be more questions, but I cant see any.
Reply 2
I am 20 years old, soon to be 22

You sure you want to study maths? :congrats: Haha only kidding. I'm in your exact position. I'm 20 myself and will be sitting A-level Maths, A-level Economics, A-level Further Maths and possibly A-level Physics all next year. It's over 16 exams. I've got a strong Physics background however as I spent 3 years studying Electrical Engineering. My Maths is also so/so... I'm just starting Calculus now. I'm finding it all on a whole relatively straight forward. I'm looking to get an A in Physics, Maths and Economics. If I can pull off a C/B in Further Maths I'll be happy lol.

Anyway I just wanted to reassure you that I completely failed my A-levels at 17, I got terrible GCSE's... It's definitely doable. Life's too short to be doing something you don't enjoy. It's great that you've figured out so young that you want to make a change.

I wouldn't do an Access Course if I was you, I'd just focus on your A-levels. However I do know certain mature students who managed to get to a good uni with an Access Course, I think A-levels are a lot more impressive and set you up for life after University as well. It's going to be hard work and there's going to be times you think, "nah what was I thinking, this is stupid...", all I can say is overcome the hurdles, stay focused and give it your all for a year! It might feel like torture now, but you will live in happiness for the rest of your life, knowing you were strong enough to do this. It's also a huge confidence boost knowing you did it yourself, without the babysitting of a college!

- Zn1
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
I would work backwards:

1. Identify the courses you wish to apply for and where. I had a look and degrees in Physics and Astrophyics are 3-4 years.

You need to decide what grades you are capable of. AAC is not going to get you into some places.

You can get away with lower grades if you do the course with a foundation year.

Research which courses you want and whether A levels or an Access course is best.

Imo A levels offer you greater flexibility and more options.
You need to think carefully whether you cna mange distance learning an whether you can do it in 1 year imo you will need two otherwise you will crash and burn.
Distance learning isnt easy and with physics there will be lab work. College would be better imo, but again you need to do the research to see who will offer it you.

I thought there were going to be more questions, but I cant see any.

Hello,

Thank you for replying so quickly! My local college does do A-Level Maths/Futher and Physics - depending on lesson hours it's something I could look to do. Even if it is just for physics so I can do the lab work.

It would most likely be Physics/ Astophysics opposed to maths, I find it very interesting. I am trying to avoid the foundation year if possible if I've done 2 years of related A-Levels prior.

So maths/ further maths as distance, then physics ay college. The other aspect is cost as A-Levels are not cheap. This would give me 3 A-levels. What do you think?
I'm just about to finish an Astrophysics degree (1 exam left!) and am starting a PhD in the Autumn. I took humanities A levels a long time ago, so did an Access course to get into university. Not all universities will accept Access for physics, but there are some very good ones who will. (My uni is ranked 5th for physics in the new Guardian league table). If you do Access, you need to find a course with very strong maths content (look for the Engineering pathway). My Access course had 24 maths modules.

If you decide to do A levels, you'll probably only need to do maths and physics, as you are a mature student, and the usual entry criteria may be different for you. You should email the universities you fancy with a brief resume, and ask them what they would like to see from you.

Another alternative is to search for physics with a foundation year. Durham may be worth a look. However, your A level grades may hamper you there. I believe Southampton, for instance, ask for AAA in students whose A levels are in the 'wrong' subjects.
Reply 5
Original post by zn1
You sure you want to study maths? :congrats: Haha only kidding. I'm in your exact position. I'm 20 myself and will be sitting A-level Maths, A-level Economics, A-level Further Maths and possibly A-level Physics all next year. It's over 16 exams. I've got a strong Physics background however as I spent 3 years studying Electrical Engineering. My Maths is also so/so... I'm just starting Calculus now. I'm finding it all on a whole relatively straight forward. I'm looking to get an A in Physics, Maths and Economics. If I can pull off a C/B in Further Maths I'll be happy lol.

Anyway I just wanted to reassure you that I completely failed my A-levels at 17, I got terrible GCSE's... It's definitely doable. Life's too short to be doing something you don't enjoy. It's great that you've figured out so young that you want to make a change.

I wouldn't do an Access Course if I was you, I'd just focus on your A-levels. However I do know certain mature students who managed to get to a good uni with an Access Course, I think A-levels are a lot more impressive and set you up for life after University as well. It's going to be hard work and there's going to be times you think, "nah what was I thinking, this is stupid...", all I can say is overcome the hurdles, stay focused and give it your all for a year! It might feel like torture now, but you will live in happiness for the rest of your life, knowing you were strong enough to do this. It's also a huge confidence boost knowing you did it yourself, without the babysitting of a college!

- Zn1

Hello, Zn1!

Thanks for the response. Okay, noted about the access course - it was more of a booster. My local college does do Maths/Further Maths and physics. Due to physics lab work I might do this at college, how did you manage yours? Maths and further maths is something I could self-teach/ 1-1 tutor or get help from friends. I'm quite confident with my maths and found it more straight forward than most subjects.

That's sounds great about your situation. What are you looking to do with those grades? University too?

Thanks for the uplifting response! It makes it so much more achieveable after hearing other people's stories.

- Harry
Hello,

Thank you for replying so quickly! My local college does do A-Level Maths/Futher and Physics - depending on lesson hours it's something I could look to do. Even if it is just for physics so I can do the lab work.

It would most likely be Physics/ Astophysics opposed to maths, I find it very interesting. I am trying to avoid the foundation year if possible if I've done 2 years of related A-Levels prior.

So maths/ further maths as distance, then physics ay college. The other aspect is cost as A-Levels are not cheap. This would give me 3 A-levels. What do you think?

1. Look into it then make your mind up as the best choice for you.
2. Foundation years offer pros and cons. they can let you get onto better courses with lesser grades. It is an option depending on the circumstances.
3. If you had 3 A levels then you could get in anywhere f you met the grades. You have to do the research as the grade range varies from AAA or higher to CCC and lower.
https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/overview
Another thought is looking at the Open University (or some Unis do degrees by distance learning). You would be able to continue to earn but study at your own pace. You wouldn't need to do a foundation year. The downside, would be that is wouldn't be campus study so if you were looking for the student experience, this might not be for you.
Open Uni is an option but then there is also the distance learning Intro to Astronomy course at UCLAN (Uni of Central Lancaster). Their's is on a modular basis so you could do one module (20 credits) along side working and see if you enjoy it. Good thing is its a standalone course so you'd still get a Certificate if you finish and decide not to continue or you can progress onto their distance learning BSc (Hons) Astronomy. If distance learning appeals to you I personally would choose UCLAN over OU for this subject as it is less broad so you can get really stuck into pure astronomy. BUT the OU introductory science course is a lot more credits (60 credits)

If you are set on studying at a campus many Unis will take distance learning credits for entry - many have gone to Uni via this route. Would be worth emailing a few departments you are interested in and see where they stand. I think it shows commitment as you have to fit studies in around work and also means you don't have to go back to college!

Quick Reply

Latest