The Student Room Group

The Arrogance of Westerners regarding refugee crisis is shocking!!

Refugees wouldn't be in your country if your government hadn't destroyed their land and persecuted them for years.

I met Libyan refugee the other day. In his home country he had a very well paid job , a big mansion, a nice car, security etc and most important of all, people with the same culture. Until the Arab spring happened, Libya was a thriving oil rich country with free healthcare and education even free electricity absolutely no bills-we don't even have that in Europe. Ofcourse, it's hard to believe but he was much happier and had a better quality of life (including standard of living) in his own country and never once wanted to move to Europe since he had everything. But he has children to protect and look after, so due to safety of his children had no choice.

I know it's hard to believe for you arrogant westerners but 90% would rather live in their own countries if they were stable. For example, before the war I can hardly remember meeting a single Libyan in the UK because they didn't need to come here.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarahsez
Refugees wouldn't be in your country if your government hadn't destroyed their land and persecuted them for years.

I met Libyan refugee the other day. In his home country he had a very well paid job , a big mansion, a nice car, security etc and most important of all, people with the same culture. Until the Arab spring happened, Libya was a thriving oil rich country with free healthcare and education even free electricity -we don't even have that in Europe. Ofcourse, it's hard to believe but he was much happier and had a better life (including standard of living) in his own country and never once wanted to move to Europe since he had everything. But he has children to protect and look after, so due to safety of his children had no choice.

I know it's hard to believe for you arrogant westerners but 90% would rather live in their own countries if they were stable. For example, before the war I can hardly remember meeting a single Libyan in the UK because they didn't need to come here.

Perhaps one reason is the way you think you can talk about us?
And how exactly are we responsible for the Arab spring?
Reply 2
Well, tell him he was also a coward for not fighting for Gadafi
Reply 3
Original post by Sammylou40
Perhaps one reason is the way you think you can talk about us?
And how exactly are we responsible for the Arab spring?

The Arab Spring was mobilised by tratorous NGOs who were funded by USAID and George Soros. Even if you did not do this you could still allowed Gadaffi to end the rebellion. But no you wanted a regime change, just like today in Syria.

I met Libyan refugee the other day. In his home country he had a very well paid job , a big mansion, a nice car, security etc and most important of all, people with the same culture. Until the Arab spring happened, Libya was a thriving oil rich country with free healthcare and education even free electricity absolutely no bills-we don't even have that in Europe. Ofcourse, it's hard to believe but he was much happier and had a better quality of life (including standard of living) in his own country and never once wanted to move to Europe since he had everything. But he has children to protect and look after, so due to safety of his children had no choice.

The Libyan guy you met was part of a rich elite, of course he misses his old life. The majority of Libyan people were not nearly so lucky. You think life under Gaddafi was fun? Grow up.

Libya was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I do not believe implementing a no fly zone and letting a brutal dictatorship fall was a mistake, the alternative was genocide (you do realise Gaddafi was hell-bent on murdering the people of Benghazi, a city of 600,000+ people, right?). The mistake the 'West' (Britain, France and the US) made was pulling out too soon; they should have put boots on the ground and stayed until a functioning government was in place. But it isn't the West's fault that Libya is a failed state, the various different Libyan tribes and warlords need to take some responsibility, stop killing each other and start working together.
It's not just Libyan refugees though. If it were just that it might be manageable, but the fall of libya has basically become a magnet for all Africans and now Syrians, and Bangladeshis are exploting the mediterranean route since the Greek route was closed off. The EU is too imcompetent and too PC to do anything about it.

Also, it very much exposes how disunited the EU as a whole is.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/eu-refugee-quotas-160000-italy-greece-failing-european-commissioner-legal-cases-obligations-a7739396.html
(edited 6 years ago)
Why do people try and make out places like Libya were like heaven and then the evil white man destroyed it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7

Still not a good enough reason to let them into our countries. These people despise us (admittedly not without good reason) and as we have seen, many are more than willing to act out vengeance against the West. But it's never the warmongering political elite who bear the consequences, it's the public who suffer. Jeopardising our own nation's security and social cohesion isn't going to help anyone in the long term, it's just sowing the seeds for more conflict.

If people really want to solve the problem, then stop voting for sociopathic, "Invade the world, invite the world" globalists, and start voting for nationalists who are anti-inventionalist and will secure our borders. We can still do our bit to help refugees, just in the own countries or in neutral territory.
(edited 6 years ago)
the Arabs have destroyed their own countries, they have no one to blame but themselves

You do realise this point makes no sense? Let's suppose some people are right and refugees are coming here and will damage the countries culture, bring ideas and traditions we disagree with and cause a rise in crime. We could then very easily apply your principle in a situation like this: my parents destroy the house of a serial killer family so now I have to tolerate them coming and living in my house. Further to that my parents have 24/7 armed security so I'm the only one who's at risk from this family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Until the Arab spring happened,

Is this not the clue? The Arab Spring was a spontaneous uprising and seeking of democracy by the people of these countries, including Libya. The only western intervention was to try and save lives. Much of what has happened has been against western interests.

Once they had control the revolutionaries installed either Islamic governments or incompetent democratic ones, or replaced competent autocrats with incompetent ones. It beggars belief.

Syria is exceptional in that the revolution is not yet compete and has been even more bloody.

The only lesson to be learned from all this for westerners in that predominantly Islamic countries have no clue how to manage a state, and should never be listened to when it comes to human rights or constitutional affairs.

Don't blame the west for this amazing tale of incompetence.
Reply 11
Original post by Snufkin
The Libyan guy you met was part of a rich elite, of course he misses his old life. The majority of Libyan people were not nearly so lucky. You think life under Gaddafi was fun? Grow up.

Libya was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I do not believe implementing a no fly zone and letting a brutal dictatorship fall was a mistake, the alternative was genocide (you do realise Gaddafi was hell-bent on murdering the people of Benghazi, a city of 600,000+ people, right?). The mistake the 'West' (Britain, France and the US) made was pulling out too soon; they should have put boots on the ground and stayed until a functioning government was in place. But it isn't the West's fault that Libya is a failed state, the various different Libyan tribes and warlords need to take some responsibility, stop killing each other and start working together.

Yeah boots on ground has really helped Afghanistan and Iraq.
Reply 12
Original post by Good bloke
Is this not the clue? The Arab Spring was a spontaneous uprising and seeking of democracy by the people of these countries, including Libya. The only western intervention was to try and save lives. Much of what has happened has been against western interests.

Once they had control the revolutionaries installed either Islamic governments or incompetent democratic ones, or replaced competent autocrats with incompetent ones. It beggars belief.

Syria is exceptional in that the revolution is not yet compete and has been even more bloody.

The only lesson to be learned from all this for westerners in that predominantly Islamic countries have no clue how to manage a state, and should never be listened to when it comes to human rights or constitutional affairs.

Don't blame the west for this amazing tale of incompetence.

Actually gadaffi did a very good job of managing Libya. The Arab spring is something that the West pushed for.
Actually gadaffi did a very good job of managing Libya. The Arab spring is something that the West pushed for.

Gadaffi managed Libya through fear and terror but what the **** do you know!
The Arab spring is something that the West pushed for.

Utter, utter nonsense! The Arabs did it all themselves. Have a read, starting here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunisian_Revolution

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Spring

I suspect most people in the west were, as a reaction, attracted by the idea that democracy might come to these countries but it quickly became clear that they would generally either replace dictators with Islamist regimes (as happened in Egypt, which is anathema to most of us) or would descend into chaos (Libya for instance) or long civil war (Syria). Egypt eventually went back to authoritarianism 'democracy', and now even Turkey has moved in an Islamist direction.

To say the west started this or wanted it, is just complete nonsense. These people are not ready for democracy. They want either authoritarianism or Islamism but usually end up with chaos, and are a real danger to both their own wealth and wellbeing and to that of the rest of us.
Original post by Flashing Planet
Gadaffi managed Libya through fear and terror but what the **** do you know!

Don't be silly, she's read all about the Zionist/Jewish conspiracy to rule the world, clearly she's an expert. She'll start a thread next on chemtrails or fluoride

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/arrogant

No need to thank me
The Arab spring is something that the West pushed for.

Oh, you are one of those crazies.
Original post by mirko123
The Arab Spring was mobilised by tratorous NGOs who were funded by USAID and George Soros. Even if you did not do this you could still allowed Gadaffi to end the rebellion. But no you wanted a regime change, just like today in Syria.

That doesn't mean westerners are to blame. Instead it is the fault of the neo liberal, ultra capitalist traitors who control our countries. As you pointed out, George Soros is one. We have been lied to about almost every middle eastern war which is the only reason anyone has supported government actions.

Why should westerners be punished with millions of 'refugees' when we have been the victims of the same traitorous elite?
Original post by Meany Pie
Oh, you are one of those crazies.

She's mistaking the West with our governments who do not care about us either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending