The Student Room Group

AQA C1 Chemistry exam 18th May 2017

The next science exam is on the 18th of May. What do you think this years chemistry paper will be like? Any predictions on the topics that may come up? I feel like most of the questions will be put in context with experiments making the paper difficult. What do you think?

Edit: You can find the 2017 unofficial markscheme here!

Scroll to see replies

Please post your predictions for the chemistry paper in here.
Seeing how B1 was all knowledge-recall based, it wouldn't surprise me if C1 had a lot of applications. I was surprised B1 didn't have any graphs actually. All speculation, but a 6-mark on limestone uses maybe, a polymerisation question, maybe a graph for vegetable oils kinda like 2014s Vegio question, and obviously the opening question of Fundamentals of Chemistry. This is all wild speculation so DO NOT TRUST THIS!!!
Reply 3
I have been through the specification and the following papers: Jan 2012, Jun 2012, Jan 2013, Jun 2013, Jun 2014, Jun 2015, Jun 2016.
The following things from the specification have never been covered and this is their last chance to cover these things.

Good and bad points of limestone quarrying
Comparing hte good and bad points of limestone vs concrete vs cement
Bioleaching to get copper
Metals as structural materals
The effects of particulates on the environment/health (global dimming and damages lungs)
Comparing cornstarch bags vs plastic bags
The good and bad points of emulsifiers (helps us make mayonaise, ice cream and other things. On the bad side, it makes food look more appetising and people eat more fatty food).
Reply 4
This is for AQA chemistry unit 1:

I went through the past papers since 2012 when the new spec started and all the exams. The following things from the spec have never been used. The exam board need to use everything, so I predict these things will be up tomorrow.

Comparing limestone vs concrete vs cement as a building material
Bioleaching
Metals as structural materials
The effect of particulate pollutants - global dimming and lung problems
Comparing cornstarch and plastic bags
The good and bad points of emulsifiers in foods

Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
https://imgur.com/a/KX7Hx

Revision sheet from my school session :smile:
They predict quarrying as a 6 marker- also stuff on earth and extraction and polymers
Original post by trickytrichster
https://imgur.com/a/KX7Hx

Revision sheet from my school session :smile:
Reply 7
I honestly have no idea. I read the predictions for B1 and revised my ass off for the menstrual cycle and then it never came up :frown:
Reply 8
I feel like the limestone cycle would actually be one of the big ones like a 4 marker and the two ways of getting ethanol could be the 6 marker:smile:
Reply 9
So we need to explain economic,social and environmental effects from quarrying in the 6 marker?
Reply 10
That is a possibility. If it comes up, here are some points.

Good points:
Local employment (economic)
It provides raw materials for the local concrete and cement making businesses (economic)
It leads to building roads for transport (economic/social)
It can be used as a building material without having to pay for big transport costs, because it's so close (economic)

Bad points
Destroys habitats (environmental)
The quarry is an eyesore (social)
The quarry is noisy (social)
The quarry is dusty (social)
The machines and transport vehicles burn fuel, releasing CO2 (environmental)
The roads are busier (social)
Reply 11
Hello all! I'm a chemistry teacher with 10 year's experience. I have taught AQA for 8 of those years, gone through all of the exams, marks schemes and examiners's notes for this specification more times than I can count and know the specification inside out.

I will be online from 9pm tonight to answer any last minute questions you have. You can post them now and I will get back to you. I'll also be online early tomorrow morning.

Good luck!

I have attached a summary of all of C1.

I would suggest you revise pollutants, what causes them, their effects and how to reduce them. That always comes up.

I would suggest you learn the processes fractional distillation and cracking and know how to tell them apart. People get them confused.

The same with emulsifiers and hardening.

I have also gone through the specification and looked for things that the exam board has never used. Since this is the last C1 exam with this specification, these things should come up:

Bioleaching
Comparing cornstarch vs plastic bags
Reply 12
could you give me the answers to those questions
i cant remeber where i saw this but someone predicted the 6 marker for the bio paper and it came up
Original post by Adam_Wan
I honestly have no idea. I read the predictions for B1 and revised my ass off for the menstrual cycle and then it never came up :frown:

Everyone revises the menstrual cycle every year and it isn't on the specification and has never once been examined. Although it was in revision guides and textbooks, it wasn't in the specification as it was taken out in 2014 when they changed them slightly. The only thing in the spec to do with the menstrual cycle was the hormones which control it.
My name is peheharan
hello
i think 6 marker will be on lime cycle
Original post by trickytrichster
They predict quarrying as a 6 marker- also stuff on earth and extraction and polymers

could u scan ur sheet? That way i can print it out.
Original post by Yorrick
Hello all! I'm a chemistry teacher with 10 year's experience. I have taught AQA for 8 of those years, gone through all of the exams, marks schemes and examiners's notes for this specification more times than I can count and know the specification inside out.

I will be online from 9pm tonight to answer any last minute questions you have. You can post them now and I will get back to you. I'll also be online early tomorrow morning.

Good luck!

I have attached a summary of all of C1.

I would suggest you revise pollutants, what causes them, their effects and how to reduce them. That always comes up.

I would suggest you learn the processes fractional distillation and cracking and know how to tell them apart. People get them confused.

The same with emulsifiers and hardening.

I have also gone through the specification and looked for things that the exam board has never used. Since this is the last C1 exam with this specification, these things should come up:

Bioleaching
Comparing cornstarch vs plastic bags

Hello,
Thank you very much for giving up your time to do this! I'm basically going through the entire spec now so I'll add questions as I get to them.

First one:
Explain the two methods for extracting oils in clear terms

Thanks once again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
what topics would you predict that will come up tomorrow for c1 aqa
Any predictions?? and any predictions on 6 marker?!

Quick Reply

Latest