The Student Room Group

Doing too much?

Basically my friends keep telling me that I am doing too much and don't spend enough time with them. Either in college or out of college. Apparently I am doing way too much and am going to end up burning out. I am ahead with my work in all subjects to the pint of which my teachers have asked me to stop handing work in...
I do plenty of activities in my free time and have a full timetable:
Monday-Trampolining
Tuesday-Jujitsu
Wednesday-Gym and rock climbing
Thursday-College work
Friday-Archery
Saturday-Jujitsu
Sunday-swimming

On top of all of this I am doing MAP, applied for nuffeild (no response yet) and have my own cake business. I don't sleep much either.

Am I doing too much? Can you be doing too much to help yourself get into uni?
Original post by Bham369
Basically my friends keep telling me that I am doing too much and don't spend enough time with them. Either in college or out of college. Apparently I am doing way too much and am going to end up burning out. I am ahead with my work in all subjects to the pint of which my teachers have asked me to stop handing work in...
Monday-Trampolining
Tuesday-Jujitsu
Thursday-College work
Friday-Archery
Saturday-Jujitsu
Sunday-swimming

On top of all of this I am doing MAP, applied for nuffeild (no response yet) and have my own cake business. I don't sleep much either.

Wow and I thought I was busy lol..
Reply 2
Original post by RudeboiiiQ
Wow and I thought I was busy lol..

Why what do you do?
Original post by Bham369
Why what do you do?

Well currently I've switched to full time work and it involves attending training events all over the UK to be a representative of the team I work for, so I'll be visiting Inverness, Edinburgh, Halifax, Birmingham and London, there were a few more places but I've forgotten. on the days I'm off I go to the gym and I'm starting university in September, so I'm trying to get ahead of the course and start going through the reading list to give me a good start. And due to switching to full time and participating in all these training events I can earn a nice amount of money for an 18 year old, so I'm trying to start investing in stocks and bonds while I still can, so it involves visiting my bank frequently to speak to advisors who will help me make the right move at the right time, which isn't just now. Also was tutoring my cousin for a while but he's finished his exams now so things are less hectic now.

But I still manage to grab some free time when I can, I don't know how you manage to if you even do lol.
Original post by Bham369
Monday-Trampolining
Tuesday-Jujitsu
Thursday-College work
Friday-Archery
Saturday-Jujitsu
Sunday-swimming

First of all friends don't last in this world, every relationship is temporary so if you want to do something for yourself don't think about them. In fact I have no friends and if anything it's saved me from distractions and I studied hardcore and got myself really decent grades. Also, all that sounds great things that you can talk about in your personal statement but at the end of the day if you are applying to something vocational like Med/Dent/Healthcare then you might need to cut down your extracurricular activites and focus more on your work experience as I know plenty of people got rejected for my course due to not having enough voluntary work experience. I worked in a bank last year during the summer which isn't even related to my course (radiography) and then worked in Asda for the remainder, and had loads of small temp jobs in between. Also, I did 200 hours of voluntary work experience in the hospital ward. So I think things like that do matter significantly more than extracurricular activites, although your extracurricular activities can be helpful when talking about teamwork i guess. Btw, I did no extracurricular activites lmao purely because I didn't have the time for that.

The Nuffield thing seems good. I'm going to a trip to CERN in Switzerland really soon which supported my enthusiasm for physics in my personal statement so things like that make a huge difference.

Good luck, btw I just assumed you were applying to a vocational course I'm not sure if you actually are? But hopefully this helps anyways. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending