The Student Room Group

Computer Science without A-Level Maths or Physics

Hello, I have been enrolled in an IT college for the past three years (I am in year 12) as I am interested in a career in software development. At this college I am doing a level 3 IT BTEC course, which I am well on the way to completing to a D*D*D*. However, this college did not offer A level maths or physics which I am now starting to realise - after looking through course requirements - that I am going to need to apply to a good Uni that does computer science. Considering the fact that I have learnt Python, C
Hello,

One of the biggest fallacies around CS is that you have to have great a-levels in maths to get on to a good CS or SE degree. Pre-uni students tend to completely overestimate the amount of maths involved at CS or SE undgrad. A few elite unis might expect very high math ability (e.g. Oxbridge) but generally if you have a decent grade at GCSE math (C or above) you'll fine for most courses.

You probably already have more coding experience than most of your peers who've done A-Levels (that's a benefit of BTEC) and I've said many times before, being great at maths does not mean you'll be great at software engineering (the reverse is also true).

Based on what you've said and assuming you've passed your GCSE in maths, you've a solid chance of getting in to a lot of fine unis for CS/SE.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
For most of the top 20 universities it is a requirement that you have an A level qualification in Maths - some require full A level and some just to AS level. I won't build your hopes up, you will not have that many decent univerities to choose from but there will be some. Included in this will be Aston, Royal Holloway and Nottingham. That is providing you have at least a grade B in Maths GCSE - if you don't your options are then limited to the lower universities.
Original post by nutz99
For most of the top 20 universities it is a requirement that you have an A level qualification in Maths - some require full A level and some just to AS level. I won't build your hopes up, you will not have that many decent univerities to choose from but there will be some. Included in this will be Aston, Royal Holloway and Nottingham. That is providing you have at least a grade B in Maths GCSE - if you don't your options are then limited to the lower universities.

I take your point about the very best needing A-level Maths, but as you say there are some fine university choices that don't need CS. Apart from the aforementioned, the OP might consider Kent, QUB, Newcastle & Cardiff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending