Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

University Help!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got 4 A's for my AS Levels and was wondering how to choose the correct university for medicine >_<. Was planning to try Oxbridge but i've heard that people normally just choose either Oxford or Cambridge, so how do i choose it!!!

ReputationRep:
    this site may be able to help, there's medicine down the list:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html

may be good idea to go to the Oxbridge forum, what they teach in the course, practises, etc. what about their entrance paper?

hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    League tables for medical schools are not very helpful IMO.
    If you look at the overall scores, there is generally speaking, less than a 3% difference between most of the medical schools and the medical school ranked first (Glasgow).
    There is no such thing as a "bad" medical school as they all have to comply to, and meet teaching standards set out by the GMC.

A better way to decide which medical school is right for you would be to determine, firstly, the type of course that will best suit you i.e. a systems/subject based course or a problem based course (PBL) and whether you want a course that is weighted heavily in favour of scientific teaching (such as Oxbridge) or one that has a lot of patient contact from the beginning.

Another major consideration would be where would you like to study?
    All courses have very simillar standards (whether it be Glasgow at the top or Leeds at the bottom). Bearing in mind that you will be studying for 5-6 years at the location you have chosen, and then once you graduate you will be attatched to a hospital affiliated with the university, where you study will fastly become your most important consideration when attending a medical school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unclecraig)
    League tables for medical schools are not very helpful IMO.
    If you look at the overall scores, there is generally speaking, less than a 3% difference between most of the medical schools and the medical school ranked first (Glasgow).
    There is no such thing as a "bad" medical school as they all have to comply to, and meet teaching standards set out by the GMC.

A better way to decide which medical school is right for you would be to determine, firstly, the type of course that will best suit you i.e. a systems/subject based course or a problem based course (PBL) and whether you want a course that is weighted heavily in favour of scientific teaching (such as Oxbridge) or one that has a lot of patient contact from the beginning.

Another major consideration would be where would you like to study?
    All courses have very simillar standards (whether it be Glasgow at the top or Leeds at the bottom). Bearing in mind that you will be studying for 5-6 years at the location you have chosen, and then once you graduate you will be attatched to a hospital affiliated with the university, where you study will fastly become your most important consideration when attending a medical school.
    I agree. I think you have to be sure that you are going to a university that you are happy with. I rejected an offer from UCL which is a good uni for medicine (I think) because it didn't have the right feel. You deffinately have to look at what the courses are like and just be sure that you like the place really.

ReputationRep:
    The only time you can really bring reputation and presitge into the equation regarding medical schools, is taking into account the university that the medical school is part of.
    IMO however, it is simply not applicable to your career as a doctor. Whilst Oxford university may have a better reputation than say Leeds and UCL may have a better reputation than say Newcastle as a university; to reiterate my point earlier, there is no such thing as a bad medical school. Teaching quality and facilities etc. must all meet a certain standard to produce the quality of doctor that is expected by ther GMC and government.
    I would simply decide upon where is right for you based upon course structure and where you would be happy studying, not based upon league tables.

One other point, you can not apply to both Oxford or Cambridge, you may only apply to one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Sladen)
    I got 4 A's for my AS Levels and was wondering how to choose the correct university for medicine >_<. Was planning to try Oxbridge but i've heard that people normally just choose either Oxford or Cambridge, so how do i choose it!!!
    Well for starters you can't apply to both. I don't know whether you'll just get automatically rejected from both (which would mean having wasted two of your four places) or whether UCAS will return your form and insist you choose one. Choose Cambridge

You really need to start looking at universities NOW because you'll need to get your application in as soon as you can when you get back to school. Look through the UCAS directory online, there are only about 30 med schools in the UK. Make a preliminary list of places you wouldn't mind living in (e.g. I immediately crossed off all the London universities, as I didn't want to live there). Then go through uni websites and find out more about them, about the different styles of course (this is very important for medicine) and their entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Well for starters you can't apply to both. I don't know whether you'll just get automatically rejected from both (which would mean having wasted two of your four places) or whether UCAS will return your form and insist you choose one.
    Choose Oxford

You really need to start looking at universities NOW because you'll need to get your application in as soon as you can when you get back to school. Look through the UCAS directory online, there are only about 30 med schools in the UK. Make a preliminary list of places you wouldn't mind living in (e.g. I immediately crossed off all the London universities, as I didn't want to live there). Then go through uni websites and find out more about them, about the different styles of course (this is very important for medicine) and their entry requirements.

sorry..juvenile moment ahem..any Oxford specific info & i'll do my best..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    sorry..juvenile moment ahem..any Oxford specific info & i'll do my best..
    Hehe, I spent the day at a meeting with (among others) a girl going to ChCh next year. Oh what fun

Now who's stalking whom?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.