The Student Room Group

edexcel government and politics 3C and 4C 2017 thread

hey guys

exams are approaching and I couldn't find a thread on America specifically so I decided to do one. how's revision going? are you confident? what are your predictions?

exams dates
3C -12 June 1pm
4C-20 June 9am

Scroll to see replies

Hey, can't seem to find thread for America section, noone seems to do it on here:colonhash:. Have really had to put revision for pol on the backburner to revise for other subjects i'm strugglign more in, but im hoping I can get it to a decent level by the first exam. How you finding it?
Reply 2
Original post by The_Dragon_
Hey, can't seem to find thread for America section, noone seems to do it on here:colonhash:. Have really had to put revision for pol on the backburner to revise for other subjects i'm strugglign more in, but im hoping I can get it to a decent level by the first exam. How you finding it?

tbh it's kinda hard. nothing compared to AS lol. I mean the jump is so huge haha. what did you get last year anyway if you mind me asking? 😊
also has your teacher made any predictions on what might come up across those 2 papers? my teacher is useless 😑
Original post by noey123
tbh it's kinda hard. nothing compared to AS lol. I mean the jump is so huge haha. what did you get last year anyway if you mind me asking? 😊
also has your teacher made any predictions on what might come up across those 2 papers? my teacher is useless 😑

Got 187/200 UMS I think, what about you? And likewise, my teachers have given us no exam tips at all. I saw on here that SCOTUS is likely to come up for 4C
Reply 4
Got 187/200 UMS I think, what about you? And likewise, my teachers have given us no exam tips at all. I saw on here that SCOTUS is likely to come up for 4C

wow you did amazinggggg. I got a C 😕 last year paper was really hard I mean did you see that disgusting democracy question lol. how do you revise? I'm thinking of doing just past papers from now untill the exam but I dont know if thats a good idea. you need to teach me your ways lool. what's your revision tips?
Original post by noey123
wow you did amazinggggg. I got a C 😕 last year paper was really hard I mean did you see that disgusting democracy question lol. how do you revise? I'm thinking of doing just past papers from now untill the exam but I dont know if thats a good idea. you need to teach me your ways lool. what's your revision tips?

I think last year I got lucky in that because I'm pretty interested in UK politics I had a fairly large pool of examples just from general knowledge. But for this year because US politics isn't as relatable i'm struggling to get into it and don't have the facts to really develop my arguments :frown: I think I'm going to do essay plans for past papers :smile:
Reply 6
I think the maximum they could ask for a scalia question would be the effect of his death on the court's rulings? 15 Marker. There cannot be a 45 marker on scalia I don't think. Idk, what about you guys?
Original post by Foji
I think the maximum they could ask for a scalia question would be the effect of his death on the court's rulings? 15 Marker. There cannot be a 45 marker on scalia I don't think. Idk, what about you guys?

I hope it doesn't come up, it would be a really cruel question
Original post by Foji

I doubt there'd be a question on his death's impact on court decisions. There haven't been too many important ones, and its effect isn't really clear tbh.
Original post by Foji

I hope it doesn't come up, it would be a really cruel question

Original post by LennyBicknel
I doubt there'd be a question on his death's impact on court decisions. There haven't been too many important ones, and its effect isn't really clear tbh.

with the core textbook for US politics being very much outdated how did you study for it? which books and resources did you use?
Original post by Audrey18
with the core textbook for US politics being very much outdated how did you study for it? which books and resources did you use?

You just have to keep up to date with the news if you want recent examples. There's been some really great ones recently.

The failure of the American Healthcare Act, for example, is a great example of how Congress can check the executive, and how bipartisanship can still prevail against poor legislation. The controversial nomination of Betsy DeVos as Education Secretary, too, is an example of how politicised the partisan the process has become (with VP Pence having to cast a tie-breaking vote in the Senate to confirm her; she also passed despite having minimal qualifications, suggesting the process does not perform its function of scrutiny).

The 2016 recap book isn't that useful imo - it only covers the election, and no other developments over last year.
hey does anyone have any predictions for unit 3c and 4c? im freaking outtt
Original post by Foji

Super unlikely to come up, they can't give us a question like this. I wouldn't bother with it.
Original post by 10johnsonm
hey does anyone have any predictions for unit 3c and 4c? im freaking outtt

Seems like for the essays the examiners are really keen on party divisions. Literally in any paper, they have either a 15 marker or 45 marker on divisions between/within both parties.

Elections- mostly about reform and how democratic they are. I've noticed they like the Electoral College and sometimes third party candidates.

Also noticed they love identity politics Q's, Latino & Black voters especially.

Pressure groups - criticisms (democratic device or no?), how much influence they have, why they're successful, access points - that's the gist I've got.

Anything else? Anyone want to add?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by randomshizzle
Seems like for the essays the examiners are really keen on party divisions. Literally in any paper, they have either a 15 marker or 45 marker on divisions between/within both parties.

Elections- mostly about reform and how democratic they are. I've noticed they like the Electoral College and sometimes third party candidates.

Pressure groups - criticisms (democratic device or no?), how much influence they have, why they're successful, access points - that's the gist I've got.

They seem to alternate between a question about whether race is still an issue, and where AA programmes work for racial 45 markers. Seems like something on propositions hasn't come up in a while, maybe mid-term or congressional elections too.
Original post by LennyBicknel
They seem to alternate between a question about whether race is still an issue, and where AA programmes work for racial 45 markers. Seems like something on propositions hasn't come up in a while, maybe mid-term or congressional elections too.

Thanks for your suggestions! All my weakest areas haha

Do you think there could be a 45 marker on propositions?
Reply 16
Pretty sure there won't be a 45 marker on Parties this year as one has come up four years in a row now. Race wasn't asked as a 45 marker last year so I'm pretty sure that won't be left out. Anyone got any thoughts as to what the question might involve, or had any clues from your teachers?

Which topic do you guys think is the easiest to answer a 45 mark essay on and get top marks? (obviously it depends on the questions but I'm just wondering)
Original post by joe_h_m
Pretty sure there won't be a 45 marker on Parties this year as one has come up four years in a row now. Race wasn't asked as a 45 marker last year so I'm pretty sure that won't be left out. Anyone got any thoughts as to what the question might involve, or had any clues from your teachers?

Which topic do you guys think is the easiest to answer a 45 mark essay on and get top marks? (obviously it depends on the questions but I'm just wondering)

I think the Racial and Ethnics are the easiest to get high marks as there's lots to debate in the question where as I feel the elections ones are quite straight forward
Reply 18
Original post by joe_h_m

Political Parties
thanks! this is very useful, if you think of any thing else please let me know,
Original post by randomshizzle

Quick Reply

Latest