Off campus parking at the University of York Watch

Ra222
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey, I've heard that it is pretty hard to find road-parking near campus. Anyone able to confirm or deny before I bring my car up? Any suggestions for parking near campus would be fab!
Zactopus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There isn't a lot of campus parking but it usually has a few spaces free only problem is that you have to pay for it. although there are a few roads you can parking on near by they are always packed. The city centre doesn't have much parking so having a car probably won't improve your ability to travel much you always have to park far away and walk in. Personally I think of York very much as a walking city it's not really designed for cars and its much easier to walk everywhere.

I would say leave your car at home.

I don't drive myself btw this is just complaints that I have heard from others and personal observations.
goodfellas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're on hes east you could park on Badger Hill, which is a 10 min walk max, but the residents can get cranky at times.

Like the person above says, you can defo get away w/o a car, I'd try the first term without the car. I'd say it's only useful if you have a house (so guaranteed parking), or you really need to go back and forth between home. Hopefully you'll be enjoying life/working hard enough that you won't need to go back!
OldBloke
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zactopus)
There isn't a lot of campus parking but it usually has a few spaces free only problem is that you have to pay for it. although there are a few roads you can parking on near by they are always packed. The city centre doesn't have much parking so having a car probably won't improve your ability to travel much you always have to park far away and walk in. Personally I think of York very much as a walking city it's not really designed for cars and its much easier to walk everywhere.

I would say leave your car at home.

I don't drive myself btw this is just complaints that I have heard from others and personal observations.
I agree.

Ex Yorkie here (80s) - but this should still be valid:

I had a car in my 3rd year, but back then parking was easy and free on campus (yes, I know it's hard to believe!).

However, I had no car for 2 years and it was not a problem.

I walked to Sainsburies on Foss Bank once a week for food and now you have a Morrisons and Waitrose even closer on Foss Islands Rd.

Town is an easy walk, and there's plenty of busses. If you do park in the side streets, then speaking as someone who has all the station users outside of my house, just be mindful. Don't encroach on drives and move the car around a bit. If you can get by a side fence, rather than in front of a house, so much the better. If you're reasonable, you should be OK. It's inconsiderate parkers who tend to find bumps and scraps and keying (no I don't do that! but I've seen it happen).
Cascadess
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
York + Bike = Easy access to everything
base932
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Really love all these answers that don't answer the question. A lot of roads just south west of the uni have free road parking. Recently Heslington Ln had double yellows put on it, but if you follow it west on Google maps then you can see a lot of side roads that sit outside of York Resident Areas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 30 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (99)
68.28%
No I haven't decided yet (27)
18.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (19)
13.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise