coconut64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Name:  fjdrh.png
Views: 206
Size:  61.8 KB
Hi in this later part for this question, it asks for the half equation of the oxidation of the copper II ions and the half equation of hydrogen peroxide.

I really don't understand how to construct the equation for hydrogen peroxide. I know that H2O2 accepts electrons in reduction, but I find it hard to work out what are formed.

So the unbalanced equation will be H2O2 + e- -> products
Why are the products just OH- ? I thought it would be both OH- and H2O...

Thanks!
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by coconut64)
Hi in this later part for this question, it asks for the half equation of the oxidation of the copper II ions and the half equation of hydrogen peroxide.

I really don't understand how to construct the equation for hydrogen peroxide. I know that H2O2 accepts electrons in reduction, but I find it hard to work out what are formed.

Thanks!
Hydrogen peroxide can be both an oxidising and a reducing agent.

As an oxidising reagent:

H2O2 + 2H+ + 2e --> 2H2O
coconut64
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
Hydrogen peroxide can be both an oxidising and a reducing agent.

As an oxidising reagent:

H2O2 + 2H+ + 2e --> 2H2O
What about the alkaline condition in which only OH- is formed? Also how do you know what products will form? Is it just something you have to memorise as I am confused about why water is not formed in the alkaline condition thanks.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What about the alkaline condition in which only OH- is formed? Also how do you know what products will form? Is it just something you have to memorise as I am confused about why water is not formed in the alkaline condition thanks.
Alkaline conditions are not usually used. but:

H2O2 + 2e --> 2OH-
coconut64
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
Alkaline conditions are not usually used. but:

H2O2 + 2e --> 2OH-
How do you know that water is not formed in this reaction and OH- is the only product?
Cian1998
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thanks!
Can I ask what paper this is from? Trying to do the question wanted to check if I am right. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (653)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (823)
42.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.47%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed