what the hell is cracking??? Watch

abbie559
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i know everything for the chem exam tomorrow but i cannot get my head round cracking !! i now how we get the long hydrocarbons we need to crack but whats a catalyst??? etc???
boriapple
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Large hydrocarbon molecules are heated and vaporised. These vapours will pass a catalyst that helps break them down.

Catalyst - A substance that increases the rate of reaction by allowing for the reaction to occur at a lower energy.

They basically speed up how fast the hydrocarbons break down rather than actually break down the hydrocarbons themselves. Think of it like stomach acid. Food will naturally degrade over a long period of time but your stomach acid will quicken that process.
yayforgcses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cracking is where you can turn long chain hydrocarbons into long-chain Hydrocarbons to make them more useful.Cracking involves heating heavy fractions that have been separated from the crude oil and vaporised hydrocarbons are then passed over a hot catalyst (a substance that speeds up a chemical reaction) and mixed with steam. This thermally decomposes the alkanes to form molecules called alkenes that follow the general formula CnH(2n) . You can check for the presence of alkenes by using bromine water. If an alkene is present it turns the bromine water from orange to colourless.
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yayforgcses)
Cracking is where you can turn long chain hydrocarbons into long-chain Hydrocarbons to make them more useful.Cracking involves heating heavy fractions that have been separated from the crude oil and vaporised hydrocarbons are then passed over a hot catalyst (a substance that speeds up a chemical reaction) and mixed with steam. This thermally decomposes the alkanes to form molecules called alkenes that follow the general formula CnH(2n) . You can check for the presence of alkenes by using bromine water. If an alkene is present it turns the bromine water from orange to colourless.
Did you mean long-chain of hydrocarbons to short-chain ones? just a typo, don't sweat it! your explanation is good nonetheless.
Lonesome_Penguin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by abbie559)
i know everything for the chem exam tomorrow but i cannot get my head round cracking !! i now how we get the long hydrocarbons we need to crack but whats a catalyst??? etc???
Cracking is where you use heat (around 650 degress Celsius) and a catalyst to break up longer chained alkanes into shorter chained alkanes and alkenes. (Since there is a greater demand for shorter-chained hydrocarbons as they are more useful for polymers, fuel etc)

The catalyst in this reaction effectively provides a surface for the reaction to take place, and is normally an aluminosilicate or zeolite.
username3016746
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Surely you can google this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.38%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.47%