The Student Room Group

(New 2017) AQA A-level Physics 7408 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

oh sheet my stomach is hurting...
Original post by Elictro1
Someone explain the last Special relativity question to me please I don't understand.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/physics/AQA-74083BD-SMS.PDF
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/physics/AQA-74083BD-SQP.PDF

The 5 marker

Basically, you compare the time in reference of the muon and the Earth. Now according to Earth, time is far greater so more half lives should've taken place (and hence 90% decayed). But in the muon's frame of reference, this time is only 2 half lives. Hence this proves special relativity.
'Evaluate whether this graph is exponential or not?'

I think I know how to do it but can someone confirm what they do?
Reply 1883
Original post by wil_is_he
'Evaluate whether this graph is exponential or not?'

I think I know how to do it but can someone confirm what they do?

Find the half life. If it is constant , the graph is exponential.
Original post by thelegend99
Aye lad, same here. People here have really been helpful, especially @Kyou and @Rexar

:biggrin: let's do this!

Aww thanks! :smile:
You have been incredibly helpful too!

Best of luck for the exam and have a fantastic brrak afterwards
According to the mark scheme, you can measure the time it takes to decrease by some factor (e.g. 1/2, 1/e) over 2 different intervals (e.g. 5.0-2.5 and 4.0 to 2.0) and see if that time is the same - if so, it's exponential.
For proper length equation, does it refer to the distance travelled by something or does it refer to the actual length of the object? I know in a rockets frame of reference, it travels a lower distance, but when the rockets length is measured by a stationary observer, its length is measured shorter than it actually is. Which of these scenarios does proper length correspond to?
Original post by A-level2016
Unless for example they dont give a reading but say 1 div a particular scale is 0.1 then the uncertainty in one reading becomes +/- 0.05.
Think of this if i asked what the uncertainty in 2.106 it would be +/- 0.001 it won't ever be a (5) unless they state otherwise.

Ohh noes, I am now confused before the exam has started, I thought hhat the uncertainty in the reading of 2.106 would be +-0.0005 as it is a reading??????
Original post by Rexar
Ohh noes, I am now confused before the exam has started, I thought hhat the uncertainty in the reading of 2.106 would be +-0.0005 as it is a reading??????

Remember when AQA just state values it's always +-1 in the last significant digit
If its a digital instrument you use the resolution as the uncertainty

if its analogue you use half resolution as uncertainty. and then if you need to make your own starting point you have to account for the start and end uncertainty
so it doubles.

is that right? i have been doing it like this and its been working
Original post by Kyou
Remember when AQA just state values it's always +-1 in the last significant digit

Right. So if it said state the absolute uncertainty I would use +-0.001 but if it said state the oercentage uncertainty I wouod use +-0.0005 and then find the percentage uncertainty and give me answer to the same sig figs as in the question?
Original post by Rexar
Right. So if it said state the absolute uncertainty I would use +-0.001 but if it said state the oercentage uncertainty I wouod use +-0.0005 and then find the percentage uncertainty and give me answer to the same sig figs as in the question?

No because in the spec paper for 15.7, 0.1 was used, not 0.05
Remember this and you're fine. Unless stated otherwise, use this:

The value of the charge on an electron is given in the data sheet as 1.60 × 10^–19. In all such cases (when a value is given) assume the uncertainty to be ±1 in the last significant digit​. In this case the uncertainty is ± 0.01 × 10^–19 C.
Original post by Kyou
No because in the spec paper for 15.7, 0.1 was used, not 0.05

That was for the timing wasnt it, therefore yu take two reading, somit is 0.1.
But say for the voltmeter wuestion innthe same paper, 0.005 or something like that is used because it is digital or something???
Original post by Rexar
That was for the timing wasnt it, therefore yu take two reading, somit is 0.1.
But say for the voltmeter wuestion innthe same paper, 0.005 or something like that is used because it is digital or something???

Yeah you're right. Sorry, I was getting confused ahahah
You're right
Original post by Kyou
Yeah you're right. Sorry, I was getting confused ahahah
You're right

Okay, so for a viltmeter is would be half the resloution?
I hate this exam but Im gonna be off in a minute so good luck all!
Basically.... Guess
Anyone know how to draw worst lines of fit? I can plot error bars but I don't know what points the line is meant to go through
Lads, good luck for the exam, LETS DO THIS!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending