The Student Room Group

Study medicine Europe and Medical doorways: need some truth

I'm a Biomedical Science graduate and have been applying for the last 2 years to study medicine here in the UK. My last application was sadly unsuccessful and I doubt clearing will be an option. So I've been looking into going abroad. Although being close to family and the idea of graduate entry would be preferred, the chance to study abroad would be something exciting.

Now...

These two companies are the ones I've been in contact with, I don't know if there is any others, please do let me know if there are. But what I mainly want to know is, are they legit? Anyone used them? Using them now? Where are you studying? What are the exams like? What's it like at the universities? Basically anything! Just really want to get to the bottom of this whole thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also; any advice in regards what my next steps should be?

Do I try gamsat?
Do I try ukcat again?
Definitely go abroad?

I mean I currently work in the NHS! Paid! Yet I still can't even get an interview here.

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow these threads are getting more and more common.
Yeah so two other agencies I saw on the Plovdiv website are InterHECS and Tutelage.
Have a look at ECUMAS as well as Medical Doorway and Tutelage.
Charles Uni in Prague has an excellent reputation.
Bulgaria probably cheaper to live in than Czech Rep. and also has good Medical Schools for Uk students
More and more Uk students are studying in East Europe because of lack of places in UK.
It is very hard to get in as a Grad in UK because number of places available is
small.
Plenty of options for you so don't give up- good luck

Original post by Nehal:)
I'm a Biomedical Science graduate and have been applying for the last 2 years to study medicine here in the UK. My last application was sadly unsuccessful and I doubt clearing will be an option. So I've been looking into going abroad. Although being close to family and the idea of graduate entry would be preferred, the chance to study abroad would be something exciting.

Now...

These two companies are the ones I've been in contact with, I don't know if there is any others, please do let me know if there are. But what I mainly want to know is, are they legit? Anyone used them? Using them now? Where are you studying? What are the exams like? What's it like at the universities? Basically anything! Just really want to get to the bottom of this whole thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hey! I had the same problem, I graduated with a degree in physiology in 2014. Rejected from medicine in the U.K. and so (after seeing a friend struggle for 4 years to get a place in the UK) decided to look elsewhere. I'm in Rīga Stradiņš University in Latvia now, just completed my 3rd year. I know a few UK graduates from RSU and they're all good doctors who had no problem getting back into the UK.
It's a very good alternative to the UK for a similar price.
If you want to chat about what it's like to study in Eastern Europe, don't hesitate to ask!!
Reply 5
Hi,

Theres numerous UK medical schools and european medical schools can get confusing about process/transition from europe back to UK.

Theres an event called "Get into medical school UK and europe" on eventbrite you can check it out. Group of med students who currently study in europe and UK giving a talk.
Is the Medicine course in Latvia taught in English - and if/when you have
patient contact what is the level of language you need?
Did you find it easy to get sorted/started ?
...and did you go via an Agent in Latvia or direct?
T.I.A. !

Original post by FJ91
Hey! I had the same problem, I graduated with a degree in physiology in 2014. Rejected from medicine in the U.K. and so (after seeing a friend struggle for 4 years to get a place in the UK) decided to look elsewhere. I'm in Rīga Stradiņš University in Latvia now, just completed my 3rd year. I know a few UK graduates from RSU and they're all good doctors who had no problem getting back into the UK.
If you want to chat about what it's like to study in Eastern Europe, don't hesitate to ask!!
I would think twice before going abroad.

I did, but the course was full of corruption.

and it was in eastern european and i was paying high tuition fees but still.

imo if you cant study medicine in uk, try another field that interests you.

im not even sure if you are guaranteed a job after you qualify from abroad.
the system is not like in uk
Original post by Nehal:)

Now...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never studied abroad but I remembered seeing this on the news not long ago and wondered if it might be an use to you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40383998

I know how hard it is to get into Medical school - I tried at undergraduate and failed to get any interviews. Luckily I got a place on a graduate course after my intial degree.
Never give up! If you really want to study medicine then go for it! Places are so limited here its getting to the joking stage...
This reply seems a littl odd and lacking in detail.
If someone is passionate about studying medicine they are not
going to casually 'try another field that interests you'..
It is extremely easy to find out if the Medicine Course you are doing outside of the UK would allow you to practice medicine in the UK
- just go onto GMC website - there are some decent articles on just this subject.
Many Doctors currently working in the NHS come from Poland and
other East European Countries where they have been trained . The fees to study medicine in Czech Rep,
Bulgaria and Romania are lower than in the UK additionaly the cost of living
is far lower.
I am currently waiting on my A level results to see if I can take up my place
to study medicine in the UK. If I drop a grade and that does not happen then
first thing I will be doing is applying to other Medical Schools in Eastern Europe.
THe number of places available in the UK to study Medicine is ludicrously low
- they are severely 'capped' by the Government. This is to the detriment of
many of our brightest students - why should we be denied when a few years down the track the NHS will be off recruiting for Doctors in Eastern Europe because they
don't want to pay to train enough of our own clever young people?

Original post by shiney2000

Reply 10
Original post by Alliesurrey
Is the Medicine course in Latvia taught in English - and if/when you have
patient contact what is the level of language you need?
Did you find it easy to get sorted/started ?
...and did you go via an Agent in Latvia or direct?
T.I.A. !

Hey, yep it's all taught in English and you learn the Latvian you need along the way. Patient contact gets easier the further along you get as you pick up the phrases you need. You get a lot of contact, you see your first patients in second year already and practical training starts in 3rd year.
It's very easy to get sorted, there's a lot of help available at the university and in my experience they are helpful and fair. I went directly to the universities both RSU (I ended up in RSU) and university of Latvia. Works just as well, you can apply online and you don't need to pay the middle man (agent).
But beware it's 6 years in a foreign country with an Eastern European work ethic. I've just finished my 3rd year. It's very doable but you need to stick in.
Don't hesitate to ask me if you need any help with applying/any other questions.
Reply 11
Original post by username3461994

May I ask which university you were in? My university is known to produce good doctors and are very fair where money is involved, dont tar all eastern european universities with the same brush. Saying that we do get some students transferring to us from other less reputable Universities. Of course you can get a job in the UK, the NHS runs on european doctors part of which are from eastern europe.
Original post by FJ91
Hey, yep it's all taught in English and you learn the Latvian you need along the way. Patient contact gets easier the further along you get as you pick up the phrases you need. You get a lot of contact, you see your first patients in second year already and practical training starts in 3rd year.
It's very easy to get sorted, there's a lot of help available at the university and in my experience they are helpful and fair. I went directly to the universities both RSU (I ended up in RSU) and university of Latvia. Works just as well, you can apply online and you don't need to pay the middle man (agent).
But beware it's 6 years in a foreign country with an Eastern European work ethic. I've just finished my 3rd year. It's very doable but you need to stick in.
Don't hesitate to ask me if you need any help with applying/any other questions.

Hi there,

I am currently living in India doing a Bsc in Anaesthesia Technology , i will be completing my course in Mid Feb 2018 and looking to study Medicine abroad ( UK and Europe)
I will be giving UKCAT this year for the 2018 entry , but i want to keep EU as my Plan B.
Also i would like to mention that i am a recent Portuguese passport holder as well and my family ( most of them ) stay in the UK since the last few months.

I am sorry for the detailed explanation but i thought that information would be worth mentioning for you to help me more efficiently.

I have just started researching medical schools in Europe and came across this thread.

Is the university your'e studying at good? how are you liking it? Can you tell me how i can apply and get the information as to the entry requirements?
if i want to apply for next year , when should i be doing it latest?
as for UK medical schools we have to apply this year in order to get accepted for the next cycle.

Please help
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Ridhasaraff
Hi there,

I am currently living in India doing a Bsc in Anaesthesia Technology , i will be completing my course in Mid Feb 2018 and looking to study Medicine abroad ( UK and Europe)
I will be giving UKCAT this year for the 2018 entry , but i want to keep EU as my Plan B.
Also i would like to mention that i am a recent Portuguese passport holder as well and my family ( most of them ) stay in the UK since the last few months.

I am sorry for the detailed explanation but i thought that information would be worth mentioning for you to help me more efficiently.

I have just started researching medical schools in Europe and came across this thread.

Is the university your'e studying at good? how are you liking it? Can you tell me how i can apply and get the information as to the entry requirements?
if i want to apply for next year , when should i be doing it latest?
as for UK medical schools we have to apply this year in order to get accepted for the next cycle.

Please help

Hey!! Let me see if i can help you.
The fact you have a European passport only means immigration will be quicker which I suppose it something. I know many people from outside of Europe whose only difficulty was an extra hour in immigration.

As for if my uni is good. I know quite a few people who have graduated from RSU. One as long ago as 2002. They're all very good doctors who had no problem getting jobs wherever they wanted - be it the UK, Germany or Australia, etc. I think I'm getting a good education compared to the UK - I think it's in some respects better. There's more focus on being strong in the basics and building on it. Also a strong emphasis on practical skills. You start to rotate round specialities in 4th year. I'm enjoying it as it's what I want to do with my life, but it's hard work.

This should tell you what you need to know. You can apply twice a year as they count semesters instead of years. Winter and summer intake. So if you want to start February 2018 you need to apply between 1st of September and 1st of December this year.If you want to start September 2018 you need to apply between 1st April and 1st August 2018.

I hope this helps!! Let me know if you need anything else :smile:.
Original post by FJ91

Hi

Unfortunately ive missed out my medicine grades i got AAB and to get a place in a European country.

Can you please tell me where to actually start from. Im not sure where to go in eastern europe. Who do you actually contact to get into a med school there and which schools in europe are considered to be the best.

Do you have to take the plabs test when youreturn or are you eligible for a immediate licence?
Original post by Crapateducation
Hi

Do you have to take the plabs test when youreturn or are you eligible for a immediate licence?

The system is changing, GMC are planning on getting rid of the plab test and are trialing the UKMLA. This new exam involves any graduates wishing to practise in the uk having to take the test even if you graduate from a uk uni.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/news/26549.asp
medical doorway were caught making fake accounts on thestudentroom a few months back and were banned
See usernames: cooliomed and Ender.Dragon
Original post by FJ91
Hey!! Let me see if i can help you.
The fact you have a European passport only means immigration will be quicker which I suppose it something. I know many people from outside of Europe whose only difficulty was an extra hour in immigration.

As for if my uni is good. I know quite a few people who have graduated from RSU. One as long ago as 2002. They're all very good doctors who had no problem getting jobs wherever they wanted - be it the UK, Germany or Australia, etc. I think I'm getting a good education compared to the UK - I think it's in some respects better. There's more focus on being strong in the basics and building on it. Also a strong emphasis on practical skills. You start to rotate round specialities in 4th year. I'm enjoying it as it's what I want to do with my life, but it's hard work.

This should tell you what you need to know. You can apply twice a year as they count semesters instead of years. Winter and summer intake. So if you want to start February 2018 you need to apply between 1st of September and 1st of December this year.If you want to start September 2018 you need to apply between 1st April and 1st August 2018.

I hope this helps!! Let me know if you need anything else :smile:.

Hi ( again) ,
Sorry for bothering you again , but I've really started prepping for admissions both in UK and EU
I am in such a fix .
Can you help me by answering a few more questions ?
Can you tell me how you applied for Riga? and did you apply for any other EU uni's as well?

I realy need your help and so far you are the only one who has replied to any of my queries.
Reply 18
Original post by Ridhasaraff
Hi ( again) ,
Sorry for bothering you again , but I've really started prepping for admissions both in UK and EU
I am in such a fix .
Can you help me by answering a few more questions ?
Can you tell me how you applied for Riga? and did you apply for any other EU uni's as well?

I realy need your help and so far you are the only one who has replied to any of my queries.

No worries, sorry for the delay!

You can apply to RSU online on their website. You can also go via an agent but I didn't so I'm not sure how that goes. I did apply to a few but as I knew some RSU graduates already I didn't really pay much attention once I had received my place.
No worries, sorry for the delay!

Hey guys, I am studying in Sofia Medical University my second year now and its actually more than I expected, especially the hands on stuff that we get to do, and how cheap living costs are. Also there is a student organisation now that helps you with documents applications and questions that some students set up recently. It seems really helpful and I could try get details if anyone is interested. Other than that weather is great (can get bit cold in the winter but then you would go skiing) and from march/april on I love it hahah. The teaching is pretty good, especially the main subjects like anatomy, biology, ect. The people are all friendly and theres loads of activities to do outside class time

Latest