The Student Room Group

UCAS application as a private candidate

Hello, I study a level chemistry, physics at my school but at the same time I take maths as a private candidate at another school so I was wondering how I would get predicted grades for maths, since I self teach, I have no tutor.
Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Are you sitting exams for them? Take a mock and use that as your predicted grades :smile: If you're not sitting exams, then just explain that to the university :smile:
Original post by coco_iman
I am sitting exams for then but what am I supposed to write for next year's prediction as I am currently doing as level.

I would say just do mocks, and predict your own grades, you'll know what you're capable of achieving, so give them as predictions and explain the circumstances to the university that you're applying to :smile:

If you're currently doing AS levels and about to do A2s, then you won't be applying for UCAS until next year, or am I wrong? By then, you should have a good knowledge of what you're able to achieve and with an AS grade behind you, it should give a good indicator :smile:
Original post by coco_iman
Hello, I study a level chemistry, physics and economics at my school but at the same time I take biology and maths as a private candidate at another school so I was wondering how I would get predicted grades for biology and maths, since I self teach, I have no tutor.
Thanks

Speak to your referee at your school and ask whether they'd be willing to take your own predictions based on mock exams or whether they want other information.

Only your school referee will be able to provide predicted grades on your UCAS application - if they're unable or unwilling to accept your own predictions then they'll explain that you're self teaching those subjects in your reference.
Original post by PQ
Speak to your referee at your school and ask whether they'd be willing to take your own predictions based on mock exams or whether they want other information.

Only your school referee will be able to provide predicted grades on your UCAS application - if they're unable or unwilling to accept your own predictions then they'll explain that you're self teaching those subjects in your reference.

In the post title it says coco_iman says they're applying as a private candidate. I may have misinterpreted it, perhaps coco_iman can clarify, I read it as they'r'e applying through UCAS as an individual person?

I did, and if you're not applying through a school, you had to provide your own predicted grades. When I applied, I didn't have any to give, but my university had emailed me to ask for them.

Otherwise, yeah, I didn't think about that :P Maybe the referee might have you sit a mock under their watch :smile:
Original post by AaronNaughton
In the post title it says coco_iman says they're applying as a private candidate. I may have misinterpreted it, perhaps coco_iman can clarify, I read it as they'r'e applying through UCAS as an individual person?

I did, and if you're not applying through a school, you had to provide your own predicted grades. When I applied, I didn't have any to give, but my university had emailed me to ask for them.

Otherwise, yeah, I didn't think about that :P Maybe the referee might have you sit a mock under their watch :smile:

Even as a independent applicant it is the REFEREE that UCAS ask to provide predicted grades not the applicant.

"Private Candidate" normally refers to examination centre for qualifications
"Independent Applicant" normally refers to a UCAS application not done through an examination centre.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PQ
Even as a independent applicant it is the REFEREE that UCAS ask to provide predicted grades not the applicant.

With my application, it asked me for my predicted grades, it did say that it asks the referees also, but neither me nor my referee had predicted grades for the course I'm currently doing, so I just left it blank. The university asked for them later on, which at the point my teacher had a predicted grade for me which I provided, but I do remember it asking for my prediction as I was stumped as to what to put.

Original post by PQ
"Private Candidate" normally refers to examination centre for qualifications
"Independent Applicant" normally refers to a UCAS application not done through an examination centre.

Oh I see, that makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest