The Student Room Group

A Level English Language coursework

I am on AQA exam board for A Level English Language and I am doing a controversial speech for my coursework. Has anyone got any tips on how to make a great speech for my coursework. I have picked a good topic and have a good style model, could you give tips on how to write an actually good speech as well as commentary.
If you have a good style model you would be expected to use that for guidance. What makes that a good speech?

Some language choices will depend on the intended audience, as well as topic. E.g. humour works well in some situations but would be a disaster in others. The idea of a 'controversial' speech sets off warning bells. It could work successfully, but it might also be judged as offensive, with the topic choice gaining more attention than your skill with language. As I said, it could work well. A speech in favour of global warming maybe, or an attempt to get your audience to support your campaign to legalise all drugs. Avoid topics like one I marked where the candidate argued for all old people to be euthanised.

A good test is to actually deliver the speech, maybe to a few friends or family. Does it sound 'right'?
Reply 2
Original post by Lit teacher
If you have a good style model you would be expected to use that for guidance. What makes that a good speech?

Some language choices will depend on the intended audience, as well as topic. E.g. humour works well in some situations but would be a disaster in others. The idea of a 'controversial' speech sets off warning bells. It could work successfully, but it might also be judged as offensive, with the topic choice gaining more attention than your skill with language. As I said, it could work well. A speech in favour of global warming maybe, or an attempt to get your audience to support your campaign to legalise all drugs. Avoid topics like one I marked where the candidate argued for all old people to be euthanised.

A good test is to actually deliver the speech, maybe to a few friends or family. Does it sound 'right'?

Thank you for your answer. My style model is Ronald Reagan's Brandenburg Gate speech. My controversial speech is in support of US President Donald J. Trump, I am doing it with the persona of a Trump supporter though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Tigerking99
Thank you for your answer. My style model is Ronald Reagan's Brandenburg Gate speech. My controversial speech is in support of US President Donald J. Trump, I am doing it with the persona of a Trump supporter though.

Sounds like an interesting challenge! There would be some great opportunities to use the sort of language that Trump and his supporters found so effective. 'Drain the swamp', 'Make America Great again', 'Bad Hombres'. Make sure you include plenty of American dialect too. Reagan employed some quite effective speech-writers and didn't stray far from the script. Trump appears to have had writers for some of his big set-piece speeches, but most of what I've heard appears to have been made up as he went along. That's not an easy style to mimic.If you pull it off you deserve to get some decent marks.
Anyone doing a level English lanaguage I've made a Facebook group chat if you wanna join!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/461016557569750?ref=bookmarks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending