The Student Room Group

power steering probems fiat punto

Hi everyone, I bought a fiat punto 3 months ago and all of a sudden the power steering has gone off the steering is really heavy and the warning light of a steering wheel is on. At first I thought it was the wheel locked but I can still move the wheel but with great difficulty using all my strengh (which is not much). The warrenty has just ran out. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be. Thank you:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Snapped/missing belt to the steering pump?
Reply 2
Would this cost me a lot of money?
Reply 3
Shouldn't do, the belt itself will be under £10 to but and only takes a few minutes to fit, so a gargae won't charge much to do it. You're best getting a garage to check it though in case it is something else.

Is the battery light on? Most modern cars have a single belt for both the alternator and powersteering, so if the belt has come off, I'd expect the battery light to come on soon afterwards.
Reply 4
Obvious one, check your power steering fluid.

Then you have to start thinking about pumps... and the price inflates.
Reply 5
the power steering is electronic doesnt have a fluid pump
Reply 6
robert1987
Shouldn't do, the belt itself will be under £10 to but and only takes a few minutes to fit, so a gargae won't charge much to do it. You're best getting a garage to check it though in case it is something else.

Is the battery light on? Most modern cars have a single belt for both the alternator and powersteering, so if the belt has come off, I'd expect the battery light to come on soon afterwards.

no the battery light is not on
Reply 7
Well if it's electric, then it might be a blown fuse or loose connection if it suddenly stopped working. You could try checking to see if there's a fuse for it-look in the owner's handbook. Otherwise, it would probably be best to take the car to a garage.

I know some powersteering systems use an electric motor to drive the pupmp but I've never heard of a system that doesn't use fluid up until now.
Reply 8
:ditto:

Maybe its just what I work on (Tractors, Land Rovers and very old scoobys) but all have a fluid system. I thought it was just the very newest cars that were all electric?

Minardi
Reply 9
Thanks guys I will try this :smile:
Reply 10
If it's not something simple like a fuse, the warning light means the electronic controller has detected a fault and has most likely disabled the power steering as a failsafe mode. In this case you will need to take it to a garage with the proper diagnostic equipment (probably a fiat dealer) so they can read from the controller what fault has been detected and reset it.

If it is just a one off fault that has confused it you might be able to reset it by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, but if it comes back then you probably have a genuine problem.
Reply 11
Hi there

I no this forum is a few years old now! But incase anyone reads through looking for an answer. I've had the little red light come on and off in my fiat punto 2002 for the last year, the quick fix for me was to just restart the car. However in the last week the little red light came one and this time won't switch off! It's such a simple problem to fix, all you need to do is change the electric steering pump (located directly underneith the steering wheel, about where your knee's sit when your driving!) There are 3 bolts that holt it on, and 2 cables that plug into the ECU. I went down to my local scrapyard matched up another one (ensuring the 4 digit number on the ECU and model number on the actual motor are the same) The replacment pump I bought from the scrapyard cost me £70. I then fitted it onto mine, must have taken me 30 mins at the max. And now its working perfectly, my car knowledge is fairly basic, but its a fairly logical fix. And will save you alot of money!!!! Oh and in reference to the above posts, the fiat puntos with the electric steering motors don't have any power steering fluid, its all managed by the electric pump :smile:

Josh
Original post by Little Dawn
Hi everyone, I bought a fiat punto 3 months ago and all of a sudden the power steering has gone off the steering is really heavy and the warning light of a steering wheel is on. At first I thought it was the wheel locked but I can still move the wheel but with great difficulty using all my strengh (which is not much). The warrenty has just ran out. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be. Thank you:confused:

Sorry to delve off topic, but how is the car and the insurance? I'm thinking of buying one as my first.
Reply 13
Original post by Dreamweaver
Sorry to delve off topic, but how is the car and the insurance? I'm thinking of buying one as my first.

Considering this thread is old enough to go to school and the person you're quoting hasn't been on here since 2008, I suspect you'll be a long time waiting for a reply!
Original post by JC.
Considering this thread is old enough to go to school and the person you're quoting hasn't been on here since 2008, I suspect you'll be a long time waiting for a reply!

Thanks - didn't notice that :tongue:
Hi there
Anyone who has got problem with power steering must know ignore most of the comment and listen to Chapperz81 which explain everything bang on so forget about fluid and other bits about fiat punto. I have replied just to confirm about it for other people who has got problem with fiat punto power steering. ������
(edited 9 years ago)
This thread is 7 years old!
Reply 17
He Josh!
Thanks for the information!!
I'm writing to you in 2015.. My Car is at the Mechanic's and what we did before I left it for the fix is sprayed the fuse box and cleaned it so I worked and now I'll confirm with my mechanic to check with that pump part..
Thanks a lot
Thank you. I have the same problem. My garage says the tower cost over £.200 plus work. If it is as simple as you say, it could be solved very easy. But I am not a mechanic. 😯
Reply 19
my steering light comes on then after a day it might go off its a fiat punto 1.2 what do think it might be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending