The Student Room Group

C1 2017 unofficial mark scheme 2017

Hello. Welcome to my AQA Chemistry C1 Unofficial mark scheme! :tongue:

This mark scheme is made completely by people who have done the exam so is written purely from knowledge. We will try and get the questions in the right order however putting marks next to each is very hard so please do not request this. If you remember a question we forgot then feel free to comment it below and I will be sure to add it.

This mark scheme is not official and was made purely from what we saw in the exam.
It does not contain all answers.

AQA C1 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have a few questions of foundation) :biggrin:

Note: Not all the questions are complete

1. Atomic Number
a) same number of protons [ 1 mark ]
b) same number of protons but different number of neutrons ( ISOTOPE ) [ 1 mark ]
c) 3 [ 1 mark ]
d) 7 [ 1 mark ]

2. Chemical Mass

( tick the correct box )
1) Something along the lines of 36 g of water and 301g of the product ( the last box )

( Describe this reaction in terms of the molecules of the hydrocarbons )
2) Thermal Decomposition Reaction.
The single carbon to carbon bond broke and decomposed to hydrogen and carbon.
Limewater turns cloudy, showing CO2 is present.

3) Complete the sentences ; the nucleus has no overall charge _______________________________ [ 3 marks ]
- the number of protons = the number of electrons
- protons have a charge of +1 / electrons have a charge of -1 / neutrons are neutral so no charges

3) 6 Marker,
Describe the environmental impacts of quarrying, drilling and thermal decomposition of limestone.
Adv Quarrying :
Dis Quarrying :
Adv of Drilling :
Dis of Drilling :
Adv of thermal decomposition :
Dis of thermal decomposition :

4) Name one advantage of biofuels over fossil fuels [ 2 marks ]
- Less global warming ( alternate source to fossil fuels )
- May not product any particulate ( global warming )

5) Polymers / Plastics
a) Explain why polymers should not be sent to landfill sites.
- Saves resources/energy
- takes up space / pollutes surrounding

b) Why should you recycle polymers
- Less CO2 emissions
- made into new objects = saves resources

5) ( drawing alkenes and alkanes )

ALKENES ( double bond) ALKANES ( single bonded )

H H H H
| | | |
C=C C-----C
| | | |
H H H H

6) What is meant by polymerisation? [ 1 mark ]
- the breaking of bonds of small molecules to be joined up to a longer chain called a 'polymer '

7) Explain why each stage is needed for the production of steel ? [ 3 marks ]
- Oxygen needs to react with carbon
- This reduced % of carbon in the mixture
- Produces CO2
( I also put steel is rust resistant / strong and cast iron is brittle )

8) Emulsifiers in water and oil ? [ 4 marks ]
- the emulsifier molecules have a 'head' or hydrophillic end which dissolves in water
- the emulsifier molecules have a 'tail' or hydrophobic end which dissolved in oil
- so forms a stable suspensions or droplets of oil in water
' hydrophillic is the 'head' of the molecule / hydrophobic is the 'tail' of the molecule

9) Describe the bromine test ?
Unsaturated fats will decolourise in bromine water from orange to decolourised.

10 ) Explain how and why foods are hardened in the presence of nickel catylyst 60 degrees with added hydrogen ? [ 4 marks ]
- decreases the number of double bonds
- from a unsaturated liquid to a saturated solid
- this makes it solid at room temperature / makes it spreadable ( eg margarine )
- unsaturated fats have many double bonds and a low melting point / saturated fats have no double bonds and a high melting point

Note: The question parts may not be in the right order.

This is a mix of my answers and those of the community but they are not guaranteed to be correct.

Grade Boundary Predictions

These are completely my predictions, we have decided that it was a fairly
easy paper so our boundaries are fairly high.

A* - 49 marks

A - 42 marks

B - 32 marks

C - 25 marks

Keep an ion this mark scheme... Hopefully it will get a good reaction... All the good jokes argon...
Oh god the puns...
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by x.jess.x
Hello. Welcome to my AQA Chemistry C1 Unofficial mark scheme!

This mark scheme is made completely by people who have done the exam so is written purely from knowledge. We will try and get the questions in the right order however putting marks next to each is very hard so please do not request this. If you remember a question we forgot then feel free to comment it below and I will be sure to add it.

This mark scheme is not official and was made purely from what we saw in the exam.

AQA C1 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have a few questions of foundation)

1. Atomic Number
a)
b)
c) 3
d) 7

2. Chemical Mass

Something along the lines of 36 g of water and 301g of the product

This is a mix of my answers and those of the community but they are not guaranteed to be correct.

A* - 49 marks

A - 42 marks

B - 32 marks

C - 25 marks

Keep an ion this mark scheme... Hopefully it will get a good reaction... All the good jokes argon...
Oh god the puns...

are those predicted grade boundaries for higher only??
I found the paper hard, the questions confused me and for the one where you had to tick a box, I ticked the second one !!
Original post by Roosheene
I found the paper hard, the questions confused me and for the one where you had to tick a box, I ticked the second one !!

Mass doesn't reduce. In other words, sum of mass of reactants=sum of mass of products

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Test was not too bad just that the questions were worded weirdly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Btw paraffin question you had to talk about cracking, like what cracking will produce e.g alkane and alkene

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Why are there barely any replies? Or am I missing the right thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by x.jess.x
Hello. Welcome to my AQA Chemistry C1 Unofficial mark scheme! :tongue:

AQA C1 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have a few questions of foundation) :biggrin:

1. Atomic Number
a) same number of protons [ 1 mark ]
b) same number of protons but different number of neutrons ( ISOTOPE ) [ 1 mark ]
c) 3 [ 1 mark ]
d) 7 [ 1 mark ]

2. Chemical Mass

( tick the correct box )
1) Something along the lines of 36 g of water and 301g of the product ( the last box )

( Describe this reaction in terms of the molecules of the hydrocarbons )
2) Thermal Decomposition Reaction.
The single carbon to carbon bond broke and decomposed to hydrogen and carbon.
Limewater turns cloudy, showing CO2 is present.

3) Complete the sentences ; the nucleus has no overall charge _______________________________ [ 3 marks ]
- the number of protons = the number of electrons
- protons have a charge of +1 / electrons have a charge of -1 / neutrons are neutral so no charges

3) 6 Marker,
Describe the environmental impacts of quarrying, drilling and thermal decomposition of limestone.
Adv Quarrying :
Dis Quarrying :
Adv of Drilling :
Dis of Drilling :
Adv of thermal decomposition :
Dis of thermal decomposition :

4) Name one advantage of biofuels over fossil fuels [ 2 marks ]
- Less global warming ( alternate source to fossil fuels )
- May not product any particulate ( global warming )

5) Polymers / Plastics
a) Explain why polymers should not be sent to landfill sites.
- Saves resources/energy
- takes up space / pollutes surrounding

b) Why should you recycle polymers
- Less CO2 emissions
- made into new objects = saves resources

5) ( drawing alkenes and alkanes )

ALKENES ( double bond) ALKANES ( single bonded )

H H H H
| | | |
C=C C-----C
| | | |
H H H H

6) What is meant by polymerisation? [ 1 mark ]
- the breaking of bonds of small molecules to be joined up to a longer chain called a 'polymer '

7) Explain why each stage is needed for the production of steel ? [ 3 marks ]
- Oxygen needs to react with carbon
- This reduced % of carbon in the mixture
- Produces CO2
( I also put steel is rust resistant / strong and cast iron is brittle )

8) Emulsifiers in water and oil ? [ 4 marks ]
- the emulsifier molecules have a 'head' or hydrophillic end which dissolves in water
- the emulsifier molecules have a 'tail' or hydrophobic end which dissolved in oil
- so forms a stable suspensions or droplets of oil in water
' hydrophillic is the 'head' of the molecule / hydrophobic is the 'tail' of the molecule

9) Describe the bromine test ?
Unsaturated fats will decolourise in bromine water from orange to decolourised.

10 ) Explain how and why foods are hardened in the presence of nickel catylyst 60 degrees with added hydrogen ? [ 4 marks ]
- decreases the number of double bonds
- from a unsaturated liquid to a saturated solid
- this makes it solid at room temperature / makes it spreadable ( eg margarine )
- unsaturated fats have many double bonds and a low melting point / saturated fats have no double bonds and a high melting point

A* - 49 marks

A - 42 marks

B - 32 marks

C - 25 marks

Oh god the puns...

The 6 mark question said the environmental impact so there were no advantages to qurraying because environmentally it couldnt have been positiv/had any advantages
You forgot the one about Miller Urey :smile:
Original post by Georgey64
The 6 mark question said the environmental impact so there were no advantages to qurraying because environmentally it couldnt have been positiv/had any advantages

I included brief advantages.
Was I wrong to do so?
But I did include lots of disadvantages.
Dude it said environmental impacts so you did not need to write about advantages because there arent
Original post by NK778
Dude it said environmental impacts so you did not need to write about advantages because there arent

when a question asks for impacts you should include atleast one advantage.I said that when all the limestone is used up they could turn the quarry into a conservation site and this could hep endangered species.
Original post by DOGGYKUTHA
when a question asks for impacts you should include atleast one advantage.I said that when all the limestone is used up they could turn the quarry into a conservation site and this could hep endangered species.

But environmental damage is NOT a good thing
I wouldn't think you would have to write advantages of quarrying, drilling etc for environmental impacts as there aren't any for the waste gases but I'm not sure.
Reply 15
For the miller urey question I think the answer was amino acids because it said they were looking for gycline and that was wrong and also I wrote thermal decomposition on the question about cracking after rubbing out the right answer and for the question about the steel I wrote they added oxygen so reduction can occur and the impurities can be removed do u think I would get any marks for those question
The question on emulsions was what are they and how is an oil and water emulsion made?
For the 6 marker I'm pretty sure it said "describe the environmental impacts" so you do that - I think it can only be bad judging for the information they gave us in the question
Original post by baqz786
Btw paraffin question you had to talk about cracking, like what cracking will produce e.g alkane and alkene

Posted from TSR Mobile

1 mark for saying the process is cracking i think
then 2 marks for saying the longer alkane molecule is heated in the presence of a catalyst where it is broken down into smaller alkanes and alkenes
please tell me you or someone else said this cos i havent heard this response from anyone else haha
can someone tell me what they got when asked to describe what they saw (in the expermient with an alkane heat and bubbles in water)
also what two suggestions did u state for the question on why the mass of polyethene bags decreased but the numbers of them increased? thanks :smile:
How hard did u guys find it compared to previous papers? rate it from 1-10

Quick Reply

Latest