Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Good accomodation or bad accomodation? well, basically I've already applied there so I suppose it's a bit late to be finding out, but I want to get myself prepared for any hidden horrors lol. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i visited clarence dock, my thoughts are on the 'official going to leeds' thread, i did hear that there were 9 people competing for one room! but the place was nice and looked relatively new, not run down or anything. ive applied to james baillie park.

cant wait to go, really wana know if i defo got in at james baillie now-ive set my heart on the place.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, the thread 'anyone going to leeds in sept 2004?'

ReputationRep:
    9 people competing for a room?! dayum...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coral_Fang)
    Good accomodation or bad accomodation? well, basically I've already applied there so I suppose it's a bit late to be finding out, but I want to get myself prepared for any hidden horrors lol. :rolleyes:
    Clarence Dock is great! No hidden surprises, the rooms are of a reasonable size with en suite bathrooms, the showers are nice and powerful, although they occassionally do that annoying thing where they're boiling hot or freezing cold! Shared kitchen with 5/6 people sharing, you get a gas oven, sink, plenty of cupboard and drawer space, microwave, kettle, iron etc. No washing machines but there is a laundrette on site (Make sure you keep plenty of change lying about for the machines, if I remember rightly they only take £ coins and 20 pence pieces, so hoard them!) You DON'T get a toaster (well you didn't when I moved in three years ago!), so you might want to consider taking one if your gonna desperately want one.

The only possible bad point is that its not in Headingley, but your much closer to the city centre than the other halls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coral_Fang)
    It's the greatest accomodation ever, nothing to do with me applying there...

ReputationRep:
    9 to 1 room, dahm! I've applied there, hopefully got it.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, thats what this guy told me when i went for a look round in may, he said it was a very popular place!

what happens for the people who go through clearing and accomadation?
    i hope we (the ones who were offered places and got the grades) get first choice. i mean how unfair wud it be if you didnt get to live where you wanted to as another person who went through clearing got the room!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardanse)
    yeh, thats what this guy told me when i went for a look round in may, he said it was a very popular place!

what happens for the people who go through clearing and accomadation?
    i hope we (the ones who were offered places and got the grades) get first choice. i mean how unfair wud it be if you didnt get to live where you wanted to as another person who went through clearing got the room!
    I think people going through clearing go to the bottom of the list, but not 100% sure. I know the moron who lived downstairs from me got in through clearing, so it is possible. I know Clarence Dock is popular, but the other accomadation has improved recently as well (Leodis is only 2 years old, and James Bailey was completely redone a year or too ago - they were going to rip it down after my first year but decided to do it up instead)

ReputationRep:
    aw thanks for all the info! lol you're such a useful person

As for the clearing thing, I was told that yes, they do get last choice and most of them get put into Wakefield accomodation (which apparentely there's a lot of shared rooms there?) until there's space elsewhere, which I think is very fair.

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if anyone knows whether MSN messenger is available on the university computers???
    I know this is a really sad question to ask but if its not I need to sort out getting my friends home addresses and stuff to keep in touch!!

ReputationRep:
    i doubt messenger will be available on the computers in the communal clusters, they are tightly controlled re: programs available, and chat programs usually present a security risk so will be blocked. isn't there an html based version you can use through the internet though? maybe. but obviously if you have a computer and internet access in your room then you can have it no problem.

ReputationRep:
    so then people wot time r u getting to leeds on the 18th??? I will probably get there sometime in the morning but if its anything like the time i went to the open day then i'll have an hour of driving round the city centre first b4 i find the place!!!

Its hard to read directions and drive at the same time!! Mite have to memorise them b4 I leave. Or I could record them onto tape and play them in the car. lol

ReputationRep:
    are you staying at clarence dock? if so, apparently it's v easy to find cos it's next to the royal armories which is sign-posted.

i'm gonna try and get there asap, but i will be coming up from my mum's in kent and my dad is bringing a load of my stuff down from edinburgh as well. proper logistical nightmare!

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna get there quite early in the morning, as early as I can really because I'm gonna have to take 2 trips there & back, and it's an hour and a half each way :rolleyes: it's gonna be a tiring day for me. I've got too much stuff, or I will have when I buy it all. do we have to take knives, forks, plates etc? I'm assuming yes..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I live in Derby so its an hour and a half trip to get there too. I've got a friends 21st party on the saturday night so I'm driving back home for it then I'm driving back to Leeds Sunday morning. It's worked out quite well really because I'm gonna need to do 2 trips to get all my stuff moved!! My little corsa won't carry that much!!!

ReputationRep:
    is it defo the 18th? cos thats supposed to be my last shift at work! which means if i leave here (wiltshire) at approx 3pm, i wont get their till at least 7.30pm, by that time everyone will have already met everyone and ill feel really a rite bill!

my dad refuses to take two trips, but i suppose i cant really expect that from him - he said if we cant fit the bike in with all my stuff, hell come up a week later with it. im quite lucky, we have a big 4x4 so all my crap will fit in, just not sure bout the bike!
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    lol, you could invest in a bike rack, for the back of your car, don't know how much they are though. Could be useful, especially if you're in catered accomodation where you have to bring your stuff home at the end of every term. that would really suck

As for not getting there till later, I would worry, my friend who's also hoping to go to Clarence Dock can't get there till the monday, so she'll be well behind on the making friends front :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    stardanse where in wilts are you from? i used to live in trowbridge and went to john of gaunt before moving to kent.

going to clarence dock in sept so see ya there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charley991)
    so then people wot time r u getting to leeds on the 18th??? I will probably get there sometime in the morning but if its anything like the time i went to the open day then i'll have an hour of driving round the city centre first b4 i find the place!!!

Its hard to read directions and drive at the same time!! Mite have to memorise them b4 I leave. Or I could record them onto tape and play them in the car. lol

Don't worry about the directions if you get into Clarence Dock, follow the road signs to Leeds then follow signs for the Royal Armories, the flats are literally next door, the side gate for CD opens up oto the Armouries car park! (have just realised some one pointed this out, D'oh!)

You will be expected to take your own kitchen stuff to CD, its self catered so no knives, forks, plates etc will be provided.

It doesn't really matter what time you get there coz most people tend to spend the day with their parents, (settling in, going shopping, going out to dinner) and no real friend making happens til the evening once all the parents have gone.

Don't worry if you end up being the only one in your flat on the first night. It won't be a nice experience, but try noy to let it bother you and head down to the site bar, introduce yourself to a few people and you'll make friends. It's not like any normal bar in the first week, strangers will actually be willing to talk to you instead of shunning you like a loser as they would under normal circumstances!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.