The Student Room Group

Need some help understanding custom charges

So I recently bought some makeup from the US for personal use for $33.99 which is about £26.07. I have been asked to pay a custom charge of £15.67. It seems a bit much considering my purchase costs only £26.07. The last time I bought from them, the royal mail didn't ask me for any custom charge and I bought even more stuff (about $52) then.
I just want to ask someone (who has experience with this kind of stuff) if this is a fair custom charge because I need to know how it's gonna work the next time I buy stuff.
Original post by k_popper
So I recently bought some makeup from the US for personal use for $33.99 which is about £26.07. I have been asked to pay a custom charge of £15.67. It seems a bit much considering my purchase costs only £26.07. The last time I bought from them, the royal mail didn't ask me for any custom charge and I bought even more stuff (about $52) then.
I just want to ask someone (who has experience with this kind of stuff) if this is a fair custom charge because I need to know how it's gonna work the next time I buy stuff.

There are no customs charges for goods under £135:

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Who is claiming this £15.67 customs charge?
It is Royal Mail I guess
They have a handling fee of plus vat and you have to pay import duty regardless of purchase price.
You won't get your parcel until you've paid it

Also, be aware that if the company that have sent it have marked the price down on the declaration, U.K. BA can and do check the contents are marked correctly
You're better off buying from Europe
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending