The Student Room Group

AQA C3 GCSE chemistry unit 3 help thread 2017

Hello all! This thread is where I will be answering any questions and writing my predictions on the C3 AQA chemistry GCSE exam for 2017. Post your questions and I will get back to you here.

I'm a chemistry teacher with 10 year's experience. I have taught AQA for 8 of those years, gone through all of the exams, marks schemes and examiners's notes for this specification more times than I can count and know the specification intimately.

First of all, I have attached revision booklets for all of the chapters in C3 and a document of all the C3 past paper 6 mark questions.

I believe that C3 is actually easier than C2 - the problem lies with the fact that you probably had less time to cover C3 than C2 and so, most triples get lower marks in their unit 3 exams. But with the right direction, you can do just as well.

Watch this space for more...
Reply 1
Are the above your predicted questions ? Sorry if im being a bit thick - Im a mum looking on behalf of my son so I can help him out a bit, thanks in advance.
Reply 2
Original post by Nursey01
Are the above your predicted questions ? Sorry if im being a bit thick - Im a mum looking on behalf of my son so I can help him out a bit, thanks in advance.

The above are all past questions. At some point, I will go through predictions. I'm going to predict questions based on things that have not been covered at all in the specification. Since this is the final exam and exam boards have to cover everything, they will have to ask about things that they haven't covered.
Reply 3
Here are my predictions based on looking at the 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 papers. This is the list of material from the specification that hasn't been examined yet.

Group 1 metals have a low density and form white solid compounds.

As you go down group 1, the melting point decreases.

Transition metals are stronger and harder than group 1 metals and much less reactive.

Permanent hard water does not lose hardness due to boiling. Temporary hard water does lose hardness due to boiling.
Pure water can be produced by distillation.

Evaluate the good and bad points of fluoride in water.

Consider the social, economic and environmental consequences of using fuels.

Evaluate hydrogen to power cars compared to other fuels.

If the temperature is lowered, the yield from the endothermic reaction decreases and the yield from the exothermic reaction increases.

Alcohols dissolve in water to form a neutral solution.

Aqueous solutions of weak acids have a higher pH value than aqueous solutions of strong acids with the same concentration.
Could you go over evaluation of hydrogen as a fuel?
Reply 5
Original post by saharan_skies
Could you go over evaluation of hydrogen as a fuel?

Advantages of using hydrogen are:
- It reacts with oxygen to create water, so no CO2 is made.
-Can travel 240 miles on a full tank of fuel
-Doesn't produce poisonous gasses such as CO2 or sulfur dioxide

Disadvantages of using hydrogen are:
- Fossil fuels are still being used to generate electricity that's used in electrolysis
- It is very flammable and may explode if handled incorrectly
-The fuel tank takes up more space in the car
- It isn't as convenient as petrol or diesel
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest