Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Someone I know has been admitted to university to study a course with the offer of one "E" grade.

At what point does this make a mockery of the system?

(Original post by Mark_KK)
    Someone I know has been admitted to university to study a course with the offer of one "E" grade.

At what point does this make a mockery of the system?
    maybe tehy were well good and uni wanted him so bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa666)
    maybe tehy were well good and uni wanted him so bad
    They were not at all clever and it was one of these ex-polytechnic places.

They were not at all clever and it was one of these polytechnic places.
    aah right

well it is stupid but what they hell can they do..they need the students ie unis need the money

ReputationRep:
    It makes a mockery out of the entire university system in my opinion.

People getting below CC at A-level should not really be considered university standard unless there are exceptional circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    It makes a mockery out of the entire university system in my opinion.

People getting below CC at A-level should not really be considered university standard unless there are exceptional circumstances.
    I got a B (general studies) Two E's and a AS C 4 years back, are you saying i shouldn't of go to Uni? Got my Degree in Engineering from a uni where my course is in the top third of the country and now got a decent job with above average grad starting wage, are you saying that I shouldn't of even been considered???

ReputationRep:
    When my dad applied to uni (Royal Holloway) they gave him an offer of 3 E's cos they liked him so much in the interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usman664)
    Dont think your so clever.
    Was this deliberate? j/w

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    I got a B (general studies) Two E's and a AS C 4 years back, are you saying i shouldn't of go to Uni? Got my Degree in Engineering from a uni where my course is in the top third of the country and now got a decent job with above average grad starting wage, are you saying that I shouldn't of even been considered???
    Good point. I only got 4 GCSE's (none higher than a C). Didn't stop me getting two degrees (neither lower than a 2.1)

ReputationRep:
    They were not at all clever and it was one of these ex-polytechnic places.
    Because A-level grades are such an excellent way of assessing a candidate’s ability :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who's offer for Oxford was EE.

Does that mean Oxford is a crap uni or they just liked him?

ReputationRep:
    Someone I know got an offer from Cambridge of EE to study law. They got 5 A's for their A levels.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Was it definitley a degree course or was it a foundation degree or HND?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganondorf)
    Someone I know got an offer from Cambridge of EE to study law. They got 5 A's for their A levels.
    Yep, that's called a matriculation offer - but the university hardly expects them to get EE. If they did there would be questions asked by the tutors once they came up! It's just as close as Cambridge gets to an unconditional offer before you have your A level results.

ReputationRep:
    back in the day ox did allot of exams before you could be offered a place on math of phys courses... so they knew who they wanted off those and even the interviews ment very little so it was v. common to get a EE offer... atleast... this is what my phys and math teacher tell me

When is a degree not a degree?
    When it's a degree in golf course management?

ReputationRep:
    or a BA in Kite Flying

ReputationRep:
    when its a horse

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.