The Student Room Group

Does Slimming World work?

I started Slimming World about a week ago and find it hard to believe I can eat unlimited pasta and potatoes, and never be hungry.

Does anyone know if it actually works?
Original post by lauralau21
I started Slimming World about a week ago and find it hard to believe I can eat unlimited pasta and potatoes, and never be hungry.

Does anyone know if it actually works?

weight loss works on the basis of calorie deficit whatever diet you are doing.

I imagine it works for most people as long as are at a calorie deficit. I expect people get bore of stuffing their faces with pasta and potatoes, so they eventually fall into deficit.

If you are at deficit you lose.
Eat at maintenance= stay the same.
Eat at surplus = gain.

No matter what diet or what exercise.
If you like it then do it as it offers group meetings// community, but plenty of people dont need it and can spend money elsewhere. A set of kitchen scales would be better value.
Weight loss is a long process and most of the people think that if we stay hungry then we will get slim. It's a myth, for getting slim we have to consume proper calorie diet.
I'm a SW member too!
Whilst you *can* eat unlimited pasta and potatoes, you still have to follow the 1/3 speed food rule if you wanna see steady losses.
(1/3 of every meal should be speed fruit and veg, there's a list of these in your book)

SW really just works on a balanced diet and on not depriving yourself of anything you want to eat. I did low-carb before SW and though I lost weight quickly it just wasn't all that sustainable.
With SW I lose about 2lbs a week and can eat pretty much anything, in moderation.

Plus, pasta and potatoes get boring when you can only eat them in SW approved ways- i.e no butter, creamy sauces, proper frying etc so the novelty wears off!

Quick Reply

Latest