Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

As my reading list contains some 30 odd books (!), I figured I best buy some from second hand bookshops. The ones online are ok, but you have to buy most books from different people and therefore pay P&P charges for each item.

So, would somebody be able to recommend a good second hand bookshop? I'm going to be doing PPE, so I'll need a big one that's likely to have many of the items I want. Any in Oxford, London? Or anywhere really.

Thank you!

- Sam

P.S. And I do know that I don't have to buy them all!

ReputationRep:
    Why dont you just wait til you get to uni. Your uni may have its own second hand bookshop for students to get their books you'll also know which books you'll really need then :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    A couple I've been told to read before hand, and I need to read some chapters (130 pages or so!) from this huge maths textbook that costs £30+. Does anybody know if Oxford has one?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sedulity)
    A couple I've been told to read before hand, and I need to read some chapters (130 pages or so!) from this huge maths textbook that costs £30+. Does anybody know if Oxford has one?
    Try second-hand books on Amazon.co.uk - alternatively try e-bay.
    I know the former works for these as my daughter has bought that book (Varian or Jaques?) from Amazon. She has also sold ome of her books on e-bay and it works really well.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford has **** loads of second hand book shops. Try The Works downstairs - they used to have shed loads of damaged text books (i.e. creased front cover) for a fraction of the price.

And dont worry about the reading list - every single module has dozens and dozens of of books, incase you either cant get hold of one of the books in libraries or is out of print. Furthermore - and this applies more to the arts etc, many books are mentioned because you have to read and understand different lines of argument (i.e. Marxist historians vs post-colonial historians etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rudi69)
    Oxford has **** loads of second hand book shops. Try The Works downstairs - they used to have shed loads of damaged text books (i.e. creased front cover) for a fraction of the price.

And dont worry about the reading list - every single module has dozens and dozens of of books, incase you either cant get hold of one of the books in libraries or is out of print. Furthermore - and this applies more to the arts etc, many books are mentioned because you have to read and understand different lines of argument (i.e. Marxist historians vs post-colonial historians etc)

Blackwell's in Oxford has a good selection. You could also try the cheapest option of all- requesting particular books through your local lending library, if it doesn't have a copy it might be able to get one from another library.

ReputationRep:
    I've got to get a 1700 page book which weighs 3kg for my first year physics course. :-(

and it costs £48 as new

ReputationRep:
    Maybe we could set up some sort of book exchange on UKL?

Not sure how it would work, maybe a 'wanted' and a 'for sale' section.

ReputationRep:
    try www.abebooks.co.uk .......it has got a huge collection of books and they are cheaply available

ReputationRep:
    You've got the Oxfam Book Shop (which is solely for books, second hand and new)l. That's at Marylebone High St.

This site gives you the addresses of the Oxfam book shops:
    http://www.multimap.com/clients/brow...London&local=1
    imagine you could search for Oxford.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.