Why are you voting in the general election? Watch

discobish
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
As per the title - what are your reasons for voting in the general election?

Are you planning to vote tactically? Or maybe you just want to exercise your right?

Alternatively, if you're planning on not voting, what is your reasoning behind your decision?

(FYI - the most interesting comments may be included in an upcoming community article! )
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im not voting because all the options are terrible, also restricted by this thing called my date of birth
Betelgeuse-
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not voting because there is not one political party deserving of my vote
greghayes
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm voting because I personally believe that those who choose not to vote at all don't get the right to complain. It would be good if we had an option for "none of the above" for those who don't align with any party or independent.
sam190
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by greghayes)
I'm voting because I personally believe that those who choose not to vote at all don't get the right to complain. It would be good if we had an option for "none of the above" for those who don't align with any party or independent.
What?! If I'm voting for "none of the above" in a general election, what am I actually voting for? A country run by nobody? Sounds logical, it really does...
littleswany
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not voting because of my age but if I could I would.

The younger generations are important because we have to live with he consequences for the longest but i don't think that some of the tactics like free uni are the best way of winning a vote.

If I were to vote it would involve a lot of research into who was best so yes I would vote tactically not just to exercise my right.

I don't think saying (Generally not just from other answers) that I am not voting because there is not a suitable candidate is the right way to go but if there were an option to find new candidates that would be good too!
sam190
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Of course I would vote if I was old enough, that's the only thing restricting me. I will be on the electoral roll as soon as I hit 18 and will be ready to vote at the next opportunity. People who didn't vote in the EU Referendum are now complaining they would have voted Stay. Sorry, but you're too late and we're leaving
Arima
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Voting because our age group's turnout is *****y as it is and is barely half of the turnout of the elderly gen who won't live long enough to be truly affected by the outcome of the election/s anyway
greghayes
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sam190)
What?! If I'm voting for "none of the above" in a general election, what am I actually voting for? A country run by nobody? Sounds logical, it really does...
It's used in 12 countries (Columbia, Ukraine, Brazil, Bangladesh, Finland, Spain, Sweden, Chile, France, Belgium, India and Greece) so it does work in practice. It's essentially a protest vote (the same as abstention by choice or a spoiled ballot) to say that you want to exercise your right to vote but don't agree with any of the parties. Obviously it would only be a small number of people voting that way (so you'd still end up with a candidate as normal) but exit polls etc. could be used to determine which groups vote this way and why so that parties can address the situation. Personal opinion entirely but I like the sound of it
tomwassermann
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm voting because I want to ensure that my current career goals can stay open and not get slashed
pairofjeans
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Labour of course. I don't want the country destroyed and the NHS privatised.

Also to the people not voting, just know that I don't want to hear any of you complaining if any policy is implemented that you don't like.
James David
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by pairofjeans)
Labour of course. I don't want the country destroyed and the NHS privatised.

Also to the people not voting, just know that I don't want to hear any of you complaining if any policy is implemented that you don't like.
LAST ELECTION 22.1 MILLLION VOTES WERE USELESS.
74.4% OFTHOSE WHO VOTED HAD NO IMPACT.
why bother?
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm voting but I'm not actually sure why. Would feel bad about not letting the higher ups know I have an opinion of some sort, I suppose. Dunno whether I'm actually gonna vote for anybody or just spoil ballot at the moment, but then my opinion on that seems to change every other day.

(Original post by greghayes)
It's called a spoiled ballot mate.

(Original post by James David)
LAST ELECTION 22.1 MILLLION VOTES WERE USELESS.
74.4% OFTHOSE WHO VOTED HAD NO IMPACT.
why bother?
If everybody except one person in each constituency in the country used your logic those guys alone would control who ran the country. The election system as is is wholly unrepresentative, but not voting will only guarantee that you have 0 impact.
Nadine_08
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shIOZdEzkiU&t=10s
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by discobish)
As per the title - what are your reasons for voting in the general election?

Are you planning to vote tactically? Or maybe you just want to exercise your right?

Alternatively, if you're planning on not voting, what is your reasoning behind your decision?

(FYI - the most interesting comments may be included in an upcoming community article! )
Well because if I turned up at a church hall and demanded to exercise my democratic rights on some other occasion, the vicar would call the police and a doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thomazo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can't vote in a foreign election
Searcher123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Thomazo)
Can't vote in a foreign election
Then why comment?
Thomazo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Searcher123)
Then why comment?
Freedom of speech
Searcher123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Thomazo)
Freedom of speech
Bit of a pointless comment thats all.
Thomazo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Searcher123)
Bit of a pointless comment thats all.
Pointless comments are not prohibited in a free society tho.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (33)
7.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (262)
58.88%
No (150)
33.71%

Watched Threads