Gcse aqa english lit 2017 romeo and juilet predictions

Watch
naturecreater
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Does anyone have any predictions for the Romeo and Juliet question?
rebeccahurstt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
well deffo nothing on lord capulet cos that was the mock question so that probs rules out anything about family relations and as its the first year i reckon aqa will be nice and have a relatively easy straightforward question about maybe love or fate
naturecreater
Rep:
?
(Original post by rebeccahurstt;[url="tel:71541380")
71541380[/url]]well deffo nothing on lord capulet cos that was the mock question so that probs rules out anything about family relations and as its the first year i reckon aqa will be nice and have a relatively easy straightforward question about maybe love or fate
Yes that's what I thought too, although also probs not love as we've also done a aqa mock on that - I'm thinking fate or conflict etc
username1987655
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
does anyone have any notes and quote analysis on Fate?
RiseOfTheHumanz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MediaROCKS)
"star crossed lovers"
"Fortune's fool"
username1987655
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RiseOfTheHumanz)
"star crossed lovers"
"Fortune's fool"
thanks, do u have any others?
username2953756
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well let's look at what we can disregard; the first specimen question was:
'Explain how far you think Shakespeare presents Lord Capulet as a good father.'
And the second specimen question was:
'Explore how Shakespeare presents attitudes towards love in Romeo and Juliet.'
So the first question was about a character, and the second was about a theme. Therefore, it seems possible that the question on Monday will be on a character since AQA seem to be alternating between the two.
RiseOfTheHumanz
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
thanks, do u have any others?
you do realise google is in your hands with the click of a button?
naturecreater
Rep:
?
(Original post by joeyfrazier;[url="tel:71579192")
71579192[/url]]Well let's look at what we can disregard; the first specimen question was:
'Explain how far you think Shakespeare presents Lord Capulet as a good father.'
And the second specimen question was:
'Explore how Shakespeare presents attitudes towards love in Romeo and Juliet.'
So the first question was about a character, and the second was about a theme. Therefore, it seems possible that the question on Monday will be on a character since AQA seem to be alternating between the two.
Yes, I was thinking that too
donnaseemchandra
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
still can't get over the age gap between the pair. unreal stuff!!!!1
RR_kaYz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I feel like its going to be a question about Romeo or Juliet, and how they either present love or fate
Ravneet2527
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
if the question is about fate you can talk about how Friar's Hubris to change Romeo and Juliet's fate lead to their death and then you can link this negative portrayal of Friar to the fact that he was a Catholic priest so maybe thats why he is portrayed this way because England at the time was a Protestant country.
username1987655
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ravneet2527)
if the question is about fate you can talk about how Friar's Hubris to change Romeo and Juliet's fate lead to their death and then you can link this negative portrayal of Friar to the fact that he was a Catholic priest so maybe thats why he is portrayed this way because England at the time was a Protestant country.
Please could you explain this for me in detail for my year 10 mocks to A* standard if possible?
Ravneet2527
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Please could you explain this for me in detail for my year 10 mocks to A* standard if possible?
Yh sure,

shakespeare was writing this play for the Elizabethan audience therefore had to conform to their beliefs. At that time England was a Protestant country due to the fact that Queen Elizabeth was a Protestant ( a Christian denomination) therefore Catholics ( who were constantly trying to overthrow the protestant monarchy ) were looked at with suspicion by the majority of people in England. so Shakespeare conformed to the majority of Protestants at the time by portraying the Friar as a corrupt character consequently signifying to the audience that Catholicism is as corrupt as the Friar. The Friar's Hubris ( the thought that you are greater than the Gods ) also shows his arrogance and reitrates the said point. The audience probably looked down upon him for marrying Romeo and Juliet for political reasons which resulted in their death.

This kind of detail is not needed in a response to a question about fate but if a question about the Friar comes up then i WOULD put this in ..

Hope it helped!
RiseOfTheHumanz
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ravneet2527)
Yh sure,

shakespeare was writing this play for the Elizabethan audience therefore had to conform to their beliefs. At that time England was a Protestant country due to the fact that Queen Elizabeth was a Protestant ( a Christian denomination) therefore Catholics ( who were constantly trying to overthrow the protestant monarchy ) were looked at with suspicion by the majority of people in England. so Shakespeare conformed to the majority of Protestants at the time by portraying the Friar as a corrupt character consequently signifying to the audience that Catholicism is as corrupt as the Friar. The Friar's Hubris ( the thought that you are greater than the Gods ) also shows his arrogance and reitrates the said point. The audience probably looked down upon him for marrying Romeo and Juliet for political reasons which resulted in their death.

This kind of detail is not needed in a response to a question about fate but if a question about the Friar comes up then i WOULD put this in ..

Hope it helped!
thats good and all, but I think you are missing the fact that this was actually set in Italy, not britain.
username1987655
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
thats good and all, but I think you are missing the fact that this was actually set in Italy, not britain.
So could you not use this?
Ravneet2527
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah but it was for an Elizabethan audience so I think the said things still apply and he just set the play in Italy so he could make political statements about England without getting arrested for treason
RiseOfTheHumanz
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Now we know what it was actually about.
Agressive male behaviours, Im happy. Most people in my class were so confused by the extract lol
username2953756
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Now we know what it was actually about.
Agressive male behaviours, Im happy. Most people in my class were so confused by the extract lol
I don't think anyone could've predicted that question though.

I thought that the extract was really boring as well, like there was hardly anything to write about.
RiseOfTheHumanz
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by joeyfrazier)
I don't think anyone could've predicted that question though.

I thought that the extract was really boring as well, like there was hardly anything to write about.
I agree, I mean, I did only write a page, but it was good inference. I pretty much talked about how the feud is so ridiculous, that even the servants are getting involved, and it shows how out of control petty fights can become.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.71%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.64%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (19)
6.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.39%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.01%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (36)
11.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.39%

Watched Threads