The Student Room Group

C2 - Logs

Hey, just a quick question.

The book I'm using to revise logs states that we need to know how to convert logs to base 10. I was just wondering if this is actually the case as nowadays, calculators have the option to work out logs without it being in base 10.
Reply 1
I highly doubt it. (best check ur exam boards spec tho)
Original post by Nightly
Hey, just a quick question.

The book I'm using to revise logs states that we need to know how to convert logs to base 10. I was just wondering if this is actually the case as nowadays, calculators have the option to work out logs without it being in base 10.

In the case of Edexcel, the formula for converting a log from one base to another is in the C2 section of the formula booklet.
I dont understand?

Is this when you have log(little3)big6

which is log6 divided by log 3??
No longer needed calculators work without the base 10 nowadays
Possibly if it's a question using symbols instead of numbers.
Could be needed in a proof, but if its in the formula booklet then there's little point revising it when you could be focusing on the more difficult topics. On the other hand, working out why it works / is true would be a good way to get a better understanding of logs
Reply 7
Original post by wantodothebest
I dont understand?

Is this when you have log(little3)big6

which is log6 divided by log 3??

Yes, proof of your answer would be...

Let Log6(3) = Q
so 6 = 3^Q removing the Log by raising everything to the base power of the log, in this case your little 3
so Log(6) = Log(3^Q) take Logs of both sides in base 10 (or any base you choose)
so Log(6) = Q* LOG(3) rules of logs to take the power out
so Q = Log(6) / Log(3) rearranging to get Q = again

given Q is the same then
Log6(3) = Log(6) / Log(3)

Quick Reply

Latest