Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I think we all need to get a grip here... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't pretend to be perfectly cordial or the most communal and civil person in the world, but I am starting to really wonder about whether this place is the strong academic community it seemed in the run up to exams...

Before June we were all rushing around, not only for ourselves, but to help each other. I remember getting some excellent assistance from the likes of Squishy, Fishpaste, Kikzen and many others who I frankly do not remember, but thats got to be a good thing. So many people were willing to help each other out, not just with academic worries, but with advice on choices and a whole range of things... Why the hell has so much of that changed?

It seems from a relatively removed viewpoint that there is currently a miniature war errupting in almost EVERY thread, on this board in particular between those students who are perhaps a little too in your face about how they did to the point that they offend some people, and those who are perhaps a bit too bitter and outlashing because they didn't quite achieve what they wanted to... Many people who are just very grateful that they got through these exams and did pretty well seem to be caught in the middle of this microcosm of competetivity that in reality should be left to the classroom and the examination halls...

We don't all have to be friends here, but I do not think it helps when we all start to get a bit jealous of what someone has done, or perhaps a bit arrogant due to our own successes, especially at a time when we should be pleased for all our friends that have done so well, and are now off to uni, not to mention be thinking about those poor souls who are about to get their GCSE results back! (Good luck btw you guys!)

Personally it would just be nice to come on here, and not see a new thread that subtly hints at an individuals supremacy over others here and then directly above it, a thread subtly satirising that individual in a more than obvious way...

I like coming on here, but right now, things are just a bit too volatile to bear, and I don't think many of us can say we are completely removed from this, or proud of our behaviour - myself included..

Let's not embarass ourselves anymore..

-Robbie

ReputationRep:
    Some good points there.

ReputationRep:
    I agree!

Oh and I'm one of those "poor souls" awaiting my GCSE results.

ReputationRep:
    Well said...it seems a bit mad on here. I'm another GCSEer...a scared one!!

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree, but a lot of it probably just post result stress.

Hopefully it will all calm down come September with the start of the new academic year.

ReputationRep:
    Glad so many of you agree, I was half expecting to get bashed horribly into next week... I also think it could be the stress of results and stuff, and things like people missing offers and other stresses is always enough to blow open an argument...

Let's hope it's just the stress..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Let's hope it's just the stress..
    We're all fragile.

You have made some fair points though. I'm guilty, along with several others.

*Waits quietly for the pig wagon*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil !*!)
    Well said...it seems a bit mad on here. I'm another GCSEer...a scared one!!
    Another scared one here as well!.

ReputationRep:
    im just glad i got into the helpful bunch (albeit in pre-exam time)

good luck to GCSEers too

ReputationRep:
    I agree totally with this thread. If you got great results, then well done - now can you shut up about them (like wot I have)! If you got lower than you expected, don't just sit around badmouthing the exam boards - sent any modules that you got 'odd' marks in (and by this I don't mean ones in which you got 90/100 instead of 95/100) and retake those which you think you might have mucked up.

And will everyone please ignore the media, by the time they reform AS/A-levels, we'll all be long gone (even you lot in Years 9, 10 and 11)

Simple really.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the original poster; I believe it's down to a bit of selfishness really. I'm a hypocrite to say it, as I'm guilty of it myself but I think it down to:

Before exams, people are seeking reassurance and help purely for their own needs (wether they need it or not); and those that help are often just taking the opportunity to show off and indulge in a superiority complex.

When it comes down to results, the selfishness and self centredness focuses on grades. No longer do we have the artificial "Help I don't understand this" and "Oh I certainly understand this, allow me to demonstrate" but instead "Help, what do I do about a resit?" followed by "Don't care I don't need one".

I'm just trying to think of the most cynical explanation, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    We're all fragile.
    Yes I'd total.......

*screams before attacking computer screen*

Why didn't I work harder in my first year godamn it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    And will everyone please ignore the media, by the time they reform AS/A-levels, we'll all be long gone (even you lot in Years 9, 10 and 11)
    But I want to live beyond 27! :eek:

i totally agree!

A lot have threads have become purely about trying to have better results or show off how amazing yours are without considering those who may have not done as well. We need a little bit more friendliness and understanding, with less of the self centered arrogance and being mean.

ReputationRep:
    I meant long gone from the education system, not from the mortal world!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    I agree!

Oh and I'm one of those "poor souls" awaiting my GCSE results.

Good luck.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.