Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is my boyfriend obsessive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt)
    He doesn't have the right to tell her who she can and can't be friends with. Yes obviously kissing other people is not okay when you're in a relationship, but there needs to be trust. You should trust that whoever you're with is faithful, and you can't be trying to control who they see. I would never be able to be in a relationship with a guy who thinks he should be able to control who my friends are
    Thank you, I feel like I'm not allowed to be friends with my best friend. He always gets funny when I'm talking to girlfriends who are in my class and accuses me of ignoring him. He likes to try and kiss me in front of them as well as my teachers and I tell him to stop as it is disrespectful. He doesn't like the word no. He loves public displays of affection even when I tell him to stop clinging onto me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxM3GxX)
    Thank you, I feel like I'm not allowed to be friends with my best friend. He always gets funny when I'm talking to girlfriends who are in my class and accuses me of ignoring him. He likes to try and kiss me in front of them as well as my teachers and I tell him to stop as it is disrespectful. He doesn't like the word no. He loves public displays of affection even when I tell him to stop clinging onto me.
    Very weird, just leave him. It's not easy however, you will feel better. If your asking and describing your bf as obsessive etc, dump him. It will escalate further.
    - 19, male (diabeetus)
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Katzen)
    Oh yeahhh that's right habibi I get to have four wives I gotta get me some of that asap!
    Why only four?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Why only four?
    I know right! So annoying I asked the local mosque why only four but the men over there looked at me in such a way that even their beards started to grow eyes and stare at me. One them then said

"Katzen you stewpid kaffir, zat iz becuz it sayz so in za KORAN."

ReputationRep:
    He doesn't have the right to tell her who she can and can't be friends with. Yes obviously kissing other people is not okay when you're in a relationship, but there needs to be trust. You should trust that whoever you're with is faithful, and you can't be trying to control who they see. I would never be able to be in a relationship with a guy who thinks he should be able to control who my friends are
    Its fine that you wouldn't want to be in that kind of relationship but there are no rights and wrongs about it. It is up to the couple. There are people who are in open relationships who wouldn't want to be an a relationship where you are not allowed sexual relationships with others. Each to their own.

I'm putting my views across because people no longer think it is normal for couples not to engage in friendships with the other sex but it is, especially among older generations. It's perfectly normal for a wife not to sleep over alone at an exes house even if they are "friends", for example. It doesn't mean there is a trust issue, it just isn't appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    Its fine that you wouldn't want to be in that kind of relationship but there are no rights and wrongs about it. It is up to the couple. There are people who are in open relationships who wouldn't want to be an a relationship where you are not allowed sexual relationships with others. Each to their own.

I'm putting my views across because people no longer think it is normal for couples not to engage in friendships with the other sex but it is, especially among older generations. It's perfectly normal for a wife not to sleep over alone at an exes house even if they are "friends", for example. It doesn't mean there is a trust issue, it just isn't appropriate.
    I'm not suggesting that she sleeps round her ex's house.
    I think your views are outdated, it's ridiculous to think that opposite genders cannot be friends. And besides, I might understand if they were adults, but OP is what 16? Chances are she goes to school with her boyfriend and her ex. People our age get together and break up all the time. To suggest she can't interact with people she used to date is near enough impossible. Technically my year 3 boyfriend is my 'ex', are you suggesting that he and I can never be friends because it would make a current boyfriend jealous?
    It is controlling to suggest that you can control who the person you are in a relationship's friends. It is about trust completely, it's completely natural to be jealous, but if your partner tells you there's nothing there but friendship, why do you think you have the right to tell them they cannot see them? Perhaps you would prefer it if we went back a century or two to when women were the property of men?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not suggesting that she sleeps round her ex's house.
    I think your views are outdated, it's ridiculous to think that opposite genders cannot be friends. And besides, I might understand if they were adults, but OP is what 16? Chances are she goes to school with her boyfriend and her ex. People our age get together and break up all the time. To suggest she can't interact with people she used to date is near enough impossible. Technically my year 3 boyfriend is my 'ex', are you suggesting that he and I can never be friends because it would make a current boyfriend jealous?
    It is controlling to suggest that you can control who the person you are in a relationship's friends. It is about trust completely, it's completely natural to be jealous, but if your partner tells you there's nothing there but friendship, why do you think you have the right to tell them they cannot see them? Perhaps you would prefer it if we went back a century or two to when women were the property of men?
    Interactions are one thing, best friends are another.

Even at school, boys were friends with boys and girls were friends with girls. After school, it is still the same. Its the natural way. It is strange to be friends with the opposite sex and usually someone is on maneuvers.

I've had this debate many times on here and it always goes round in circles. I've no interest being friends with women and I don't expect my partner to maintain close friendships with men. That's how I prefer it. I have a right to tell them whatever I want and she has a right to tell me whatever she wants. If we can't reach a compromise, then its move on time.

ReputationRep:
    Interactions are one thing, best friends are another.

Even at school, boys were friends with boys and girls were friends with girls. After school, it is still the same. Its the natural way. It is strange to be friends with the opposite sex and usually someone is on maneuvers.

I've had this debate many times on here and it always goes round in circles. I've no interest being friends with women and I don't expect my partner to maintain close friendships with men. That's how I prefer it. I have a right to tell them whatever I want and she has a right to tell me whatever she wants. If we can't reach a compromise, then its move on time.
    Quite frankly, your views are outdated and sexist, but you obviously aren't going to understand so I'll stop trying to explain it to you. I just want to ask you one thing: how do you explain gay people's friends? Are you saying gay men cannot be friends with women? But then surely by your wording they cannot be friends with men as they are 'on manoeuvres'. So gay people have no friends at all? What about bisexual people? They're attracted to both genders, are they not allowed to talk to anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Quite frankly, your views are outdated and sexist, but you obviously aren't going to understand so I'll stop trying to explain it to you. I just want to ask you one thing: how do you explain gay people's friends? Are you saying gay men cannot be friends with women? But then surely by your wording they cannot be friends with men as they are 'on manoeuvres'. So gay people have no friends at all? What about bisexual people? They're attracted to both genders, are they not allowed to talk to anyone?
    I understand but disagree. Just because a view is modern, it doesn't make it better. I don't see how anything I have said is sexist. What I have said applies equally to men and women.

I haven't said anyone shouldn't be friends with anyone, you can do what you want. I personally, find it strange but that is fine. I know others disagree with that.

As a heterosexual, I've considered the situation from that viewpoint as that is what applies to me. As I say, I don't really care who anyone else is friends with be it homosexuals or heterosexuals.

ReputationRep:
    I understand but disagree. Just because a view is modern, it doesn't make it better. I don't see how anything I have said is sexist. What I have said applies equally to men and women.

I haven't said anyone shouldn't be friends with anyone, you can do what you want. I personally, find it strange but that is fine. I know others disagree with that.

As a heterosexual, I've considered the situation from that viewpoint as that is what applies to me. As I say, I don't really care who anyone else is friends with be it homosexuals or heterosexuals.
    Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying, I thought you meant it was only women in a relationship who you don't think should be allowed to have male friends. Even so, I disagree with what you are saying, and we aren't going to agree so I will leave it here

ReputationRep:
    Already repped your other post >.>

Dang, I guess I'll just have to follow you instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Already repped your other post >.>

Dang, I guess I'll just have to follow you instead.
    Haha thanks, I didn't expect to get repped I just didn't think it was fair to see OP get vilified for wanting to make her own choices in a relationship. But hey I'll take it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2017
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.