Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a joint honours in American Studies and Physics a good degree to have Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    They offer this course at keele university and was wondering if this would help me with future employment ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jthomas75)
    They offer this course at keele university and was wondering if this would help me with future employment ?
    Physics yes.
    I fail to see how American Studies will help with employment however.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    What kind of career do you have in mind?

The problem with joint honours is that they are neither one nor the other.

It may work for certain careers like media or teaching, but if your chosen career is science or engineering, then you would be far more competitively placed to focus on a fully comitted course not joint.

IMHO of course.
    • Very Important Poster

Physics partly, but it isnt a full degree. I cant see what American studies really does for you at least in terms of the knowledge being job related, unless it was linked to the USA.

Your employment prospects are going to benefit more if you get a good grade.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If you have an interest in the US, a Physics degree that allows you to spend a year abroad at a US university would be better than American Studies (which is essentially, media studies of america).

The main point being that they're not really related in anyway; if you were studying economics/literature/anthropology/etc and had a specific interest in the relevant of US social, political and cultural aspects then it would make more sense, but physics isn't regional in that way and so it's just a bit pointless.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend doing an exchange year or semester in America too, Keele has a lot of partner universities in America so you'll find one that you like.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.