Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain factorials for AS stats/core 2 AQA. I sometimes make a mistake in probability questions when deciding how many different options/arrangements there are. Is there an easy way of doing this?
    EG) On three particular days, the ferry departs from port D on time.
    Find the probability that, on these three days, the ferry arrives at port A early once, on time once and late once.
    (QUESTION 3 ON http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...P-QP-JUN15.PDF).

for this question, I multiplied the three probabilities by 3, rather than 3! (or 6). After seeing the mark scheme, I understood why there were 6 arrangements (EG. LEO, ELO, EOL, OEL, LOE, OLE) however, is there a way in the exam I can do this without fail, and more quickly.

Thank you in advance!
    • Study Helper

(Original post by a.myhall)
    Can anyone explain factorials for AS stats/core 2 AQA. I sometimes make a mistake in probability questions when deciding how many different options/arrangements there are. Is there an easy way of doing this?
    EG) On three particular days, the ferry departs from port D on time.
    Find the probability that, on these three days, the ferry arrives at port A early once, on time once and late once.
    (QUESTION 3 ON http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...P-QP-JUN15.PDF).

for this question, I multiplied the three probabilities by 3, rather than 3! (or 6). After seeing the mark scheme, I understood why there were 6 arrangements (EG. LEO, ELO, EOL, OEL, LOE, OLE) however, is there a way in the exam I can do this without fail, and more quickly.

Thank you in advance!
    Presumably when you multiplied by 3, you were thinking of the situation where you have two the same and one different - at a guess.

The number of arrangements n objects where you have p the same of one type is n!/p!
    So, 3 objects and 2 the same gives 3!/2! = 3 arrangements.

If you have p of one type and q of another type, it would be n!/(p!q!),
    (and if these are the only two types, p+q=n, and you have the standard binomial coefficient)
    Etc.

So, always start with n!, and then divide by the factorial of the number of each identical type.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Presumably when you multiplied by 3, you were thinking of the situation where you have two the same and one different - at a guess.

The number of arrangements n objects where you have p the same of one type is n!/p!
    So, 3 objects and 2 the same gives 3!/2! = 3 arrangements.

If you have p of one type and q of another type, it would be n!/(p!q!),
    (and if these are the only two types, p+q=n, and you have the standard binomial coefficient)
    Etc.

So, always start with n!, and then divide by the factorial of the number of each identical type.
    so 3!/1! in my example. Because there are 3 different options (early, on time, or late) and we're looking for a situation where they all occur once?
    • Study Helper

(Original post by a.myhall)
    so 3!/1! in my example. Because there are 3 different options (early, on time, or late) and we're looking for a situation where they all occur once?
    Since they're all different, you could just leave it as 3! You don't need to be concerned further about types only occuring once.

BUT, if you're going to take the repetitions into account, then there is one E, one T, and one L, so \dfrac{3!}{1!1!1!}=3!

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.