Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Some background: I've worked as a civil servant for the past couple of years in a sort-or admin capacity, most of that time has been spent fixing computers and building spreadsheets. I'd like to go back to uni to study computer science but my undergrad degree was in Psychology.

I would need to do a postgraduate certificate in computer science first, then I could progress onto the masters degree if I wanted to. They aren't officially linked, the certificate just allows you to join the masters 'ahead' of where you would if just doing the masters - the certificate acts as a sort of conversion course.

The certificate casts about £2,000 (which I can afford) and the masters costs about £6,000 (which I can't).

With regards to the postgrad loan could I pay for the certificate myself, then get a loan for the masters? Or does the certificate count as an advanced qualification and exclude me from qualifying for the postgrad loan?

Thank you for the help, I couldn't really tell from the info available (and sorry if i]a similar question has been asked before, I had a scroll through the postgrad loan forum that's closed now and I couldn't find anything).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebeccaTonks)
    Some background: I've worked as a civil servant for the past couple of years in a sort-or admin capacity, most of that time has been spent fixing computers and building spreadsheets. I'd like to go back to uni to study computer science but my undergrad degree was in Psychology.

I would need to do a postgraduate certificate in computer science first, then I could progress onto the masters degree if I wanted to. They aren't officially linked, the certificate just allows you to join the masters 'ahead' of where you would if just doing the masters - the certificate acts as a sort of conversion course.

The certificate casts about £2,000 (which I can afford) and the masters costs about £6,000 (which I can't).

With regards to the postgrad loan could I pay for the certificate myself, then get a loan for the masters? Or does the certificate count as an advanced qualification and exclude me from qualifying for the postgrad loan?

Thank you for the help, I couldn't really tell from the info available (and sorry if i]a similar question has been asked before, I had a scroll through the postgrad loan forum that's closed now and I couldn't find anything).
    If you do the certificate you won't be able to qualify for postgraduate funding for a masters. On the Student Finance website, it says you won't be able to get a loan if you already have a masters or equivalent. A postgrad certificate is listed on student finance as a level 7 qualification which is the same as a masters.
    • Very Important Poster

I believe this is the answer

You can only get a Postgraduate Loan if you don’t already have a Master’s qualification or a higher level qualification such as a PhD. If you already hold a qualification which is equivalent or a higher level than a Master’s level qualification you won’t be able to get a Postgraduate Loan.
    I dont believe your PG cert is equivalent to or higher than a Masters, so you should be fine paying for it yourself and then taking the PG loan, which is for Masters level qualifications. Ask on the Ask SFE sub forum to confirm that or ring them.

update.

Looks like only SGE can give you a definitive answer, so ask or ring them.

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Thank you both, this is why I wanted to ask - it's clear that a pg certificate isn't a masters, but unclear whether it counts re: the loan because on the GOV website it includes it and on the SFE website it doesn't. Ugh, I'll have to ring them I guess
    • Very Important Poster

Haha! Thank you both, this is why I wanted to ask - it's clear that a pg certificate isn't a masters, but unclear whether it counts re: the loan because on the GOV website it includes it and on the SFE website it doesn't. Ugh, I'll have to ring them I guess
    You can only rely on them confirming in writing imo. I cant see how its equivalent to a masters f its 1/3 the cost and not even a degree. Its more like a 6.5, but ask them.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rebecca, I completed a Postgraduate Certificate (self-funded) and am now studying a full masters in a different subject funded by a Postgraduate loan.

So you can definitely get the loan, a PCert or PDip does not make you ineligible as they are not considered equivalent for this purpose

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.