Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the work load for these A levels manageable? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to do RS, politics, English lit, and art. I've been told by several people that it would be far too much work, especially because of the new specs that are being introduced. I'm predicted A* in all my GCSE subjects except maths, in which I'm predicted a 7. I think the most likely alternative would be to swap art for an EPQ, but I'd rather not as I really really love art. I'm absolutely definitely doing RS and politics, but I have no idea what to do about English and art. Again, I really love English. What do you think I should do ???

ReputationRep:
    It would be manageable, yes, if you're committed. I don't know about the new spec but I have friends who do art who spend most of their frees in there. But if you're very good at time management I don't see why you wouldn't be able to handle it

ReputationRep:
    You can do art for an EPQ, if you love it so much. You'll be able to express you art way better than A-level I think. English is pretty fundamental for essay skills. I'm not sure about RS and politics, but I don't see this being too much of a work load, just keep going over your notes occasionally throughout the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boriapple)
    You can do art for an EPQ, if you love it so much. You'll be able to express you art way better than A-level I think. English is pretty fundamental for essay skills. I'm not sure about RS and politics, but I don't see this being too much of a work load, just keep going over your notes occasionally throughout the year.
    Ngl I disagree with you regarding art, my friend who currently does it says that she's personally improved in both her respect for art and also her attitude to producing work, she totally was able to express herself, you just have to be able to link it to the topics given, she related really odd food-related fetishes to indulgence in todays societies, it was pretty odd...

RS and politics, I feel politics is the lowest workload and RS is just below English for workload, Art is by far the most work-demanding.

(this aint biased I do science :3)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lungtree)
    I want to do RS, politics, English lit, and art. I've been told by several people that it would be far too much work, especially because of the new specs that are being introduced. I'm predicted A* in all my GCSE subjects except maths, in which I'm predicted a 7. I think the most likely alternative would be to swap art for an EPQ, but I'd rather not as I really really love art. I'm absolutely definitely doing RS and politics, but I have no idea what to do about English and art. Again, I really love English. What do you think I should do ???
    To answer your question; if you're actually confident in your ability to keep up with deadlines and dedicate yourself to literally hours of work straight out of the gate, you'll enjoy it. If you really enjoy art and would do it as a 'cool down' from the other subjects, feel free to use it that way, just try not to get burnt out on them!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Having put three kids through A levels and now uni - you are doing 3 essay subjects which is fine if you like writing.

I think it depends on what you want to do at uni - can you swap one subject for a science or a language or perhaps geography - it will give you more options

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertTaylorUK)
    Ngl I disagree with you regarding art, my friend who currently does it says that she's personally improved in both her respect for art and also her attitude to producing work, she totally was able to express herself, you just have to be able to link it to the topics given, she related really odd food-related fetishes to indulgence in todays societies, it was pretty odd...

RS and politics, I feel politics is the lowest workload and RS is just below English for workload, Art is by far the most work-demanding.

(this aint biased I do science :3)
    I guess I forgot to mention if you feel you can handle it, you should just do it. See if your school/college allows you to drop out of your subjects in case you feel they are too hard, or be prepared to put in a lot more effort. A-levels are only demanding if you don't put in extra effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boriapple)
    I guess I forgot to mention if you feel you can handle it, you should just do it. See if your school/college allows you to drop out of your subjects in case you feel they are too hard, or be prepared to put in a lot more effort. A-levels are only demanding if you don't put in extra effort.
    I agree!

ReputationRep:
    I do RS, History and Politics and I find it ok, I did do English at the beginning of the year, but i dropped it, not because of workload but purely because i found it the most boring thing i've ever studied in y life

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.