Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Not living at home with my parents, but not paying for rent either... Watch

ReputationRep:
    The situation is that next year, I will be living with my grandparents while in Uni, just because it's a bit better for transport to the city centre and I will have a quieter place to study as I have younger siblings at home. It's only about 2 miles away from my parents' home. I'm not going to be paying rent (at least not nearly as much as I would if I was living in private accommodation/halls) so I'm not sure if I should put on my SFE application that I will be living at home or not?
    I'm not trying to cheat the system or anything, it's just how things have worked out for me, so I'd appreciate any advice
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tda)
    The situation is that next year, I will be living with my grandparents while in Uni, just because it's a bit better for transport to the city centre and I will have a quieter place to study as I have younger siblings at home. It's only about 2 miles away from my parents' home. I'm not going to be paying rent (at least not nearly as much as I would if I was living in private accommodation/halls) so I'm not sure if I should put on my SFE application that I will be living at home or not?
    I'm not trying to cheat the system or anything, it's just how things have worked out for me, so I'd appreciate any advice
    I think you can count that as living away technically
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I think you can count that as living away technically
    I would have said this too - because you're not actually living at home.

Going to move this one to Student Financial Support.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how you've applied for finance
    I know someone in your situation who did this but said living at home and used their grandparents information for income.
    They were better off.
    Perhaps calculate what you can borrow first either way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tda)
    You are definitely "not living at home" under SF regs.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies everyone

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.