Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Asking for extra paper in the GCSE exam? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have my first ever GCSE exam next week, Geography, and I am in Year 10
    Our teacher say that we cannot write outside the box for our answers (the lines allocated) but it doesn't say not to write on that section like it does on the sides. Also, if I ask for paper how am I going to know that they will count that as part of my question because my teacher also said different examiners mark different questions.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was told by a teacher (who used to be an examiner) that all examiners simply get your exam booklet answers scanned onto their computers which is why they ask you not to write outside the lines. She said to avoid asking for extra paper because the examiner will probably not see it. In order for the answers written on extra paper to be credited it must be "matched up" via the chief examiner, and most simply don't do it. I'd avoid. Of course if you mess up a sheet then you're going to have to, but try to make use of the space provided, it should be enough.

Hope I've helped

ReputationRep:
    You fill in your details and the question number on the extra sheet. They match it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poetic_Innocence)
    Hi, I was told by a teacher (who used to be an examiner) that all examiners simply get your exam booklet answers scanned onto their computers which is why they ask you not to write outside the lines. She said to avoid asking for extra paper because the examiner will probably not see it. In order for the answers written on extra paper to be credited it must be "matched up" via the chief examiner, and most simply don't do it. I'd avoid. Of course if you mess up a sheet then you're going to have to, but try to make use of the space provided, it should be enough.

Hope I've helped

Ah thankyou for telling me, that is actually quite worrisome
    Well for 2, 3, 4, mark questions etc. the space is enough for me
    however depending on the question sometimes I need extra space for the 6 mark questions and most likely for the 8 mark questions.

ReputationRep:
    If you need extra paper, definitely ask for it. It's better to do that than miss out on marks because you didn't make all the points you wanted to. On the extra piece, make sure you write which question you are answering and put your candidate number, name, paper number, date etc (basically copy out what you wrote on the front of the exam paper). It's also probably a good idea to make it obvious on the actual question paper that you have used extra paper. What I did in my exams was use up all the given space and then when I ran out just write 'extra paper' in brackets at the end and continue writing as normal on your spare piece.

ReputationRep:
    do what the above said ^ and normally they thread it to ur exam paper through the hole punches..

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.