Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

How to find the length of time for which the lift is travelling at constant speed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Dear TSR people,

I am currently stuck on part iii) of the question you can see below. The answer to part ii) is 0.8ms-2. However I have no idea how to approach part iii), other then establish that the constant speed = 10ms-1 and find the total distance and total time left after reaching the constant speed.

That does not help me get any closer to figuring out what to do next though. Could somebody please clarify this for me?

Name:  IMAG0057.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  237.7 KB

Thank you in advance for your time and patience,

Pat

ReputationRep:
    So you know that in total it takes 1 minute, of which 12.5s is for the first part which is the acceleration.

You can use the speed-time graph that you have to determine the middle phase which is constant velocity, so a = 0, which will tell you the time, if you have the right equations in hand.

(Original post by DeadManProp)
    So, you can work out the constant speed.

Suppose it travels t seconds at the constant speed.
    How long does it decelerate for in the final stage, as a function of t?

Then express the area under the velocity time graph as a function of t (it will be a quadratic), equate to 500 and solve for t.

You'll get 2 values, one of which can't be true....

Edit: Yep, you found a better method below.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh, thank you, I forgot to consider the fact that the area under the graph represents the distance.

This made me realise something obvious. The graph is a trapezium with parallel sides of lengths 60 and t, and height 10. The area under it equals 500. Therefore 500=0.5(60+t)*10. => t=40

From there I can calculate the rest.

Thanks a lot ;] Sometimes it's the simple fact that unlocks the way.

Poll
Should schools shut at lunch to save money?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.