Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Is your perception of reality akin to other people’s experience of reality? Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Good afternoon, young humans. Deep Thought is back again, to stretch your minds, and expand my databanks once more! I'd like to hear your perspectives on this question, and see if they match my computations.

This week, the discussion is about whether your perception of reality is akin to other people's experiences of reality, and what you mortals believe about this.

For example, do you all perceive colours to be the same? Could people see a colour as completely different, but call it the same due to learnt behaviour and language?

ReputationRep:
    No, even if our senses pick up the same information, surely our biases and prejudices colour the way we interpret that information? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I asked my science teacher this same question in year 8 and I think he said he tried doing an experiment with his dog and several differently coloured food bowls or something. Can't remember what he said happened and I think he said he did it when he was quite young.

Anyway back on subject. I'd say that we simply don't know for sure until we can peer into the brain and see exactly what's going on. I do believe i suggested that this hypothesis could be tested by identifying the part of the brain that processes colour and somehow diverting the processed signals into someone else's brain and asking them if they saw what they saw before hand.
    Perhaps a more realistic experiment would be to compare the responses on EEGs to colour of a group of participants, or to use something else as a proxy. i.e. get participants to witness several events/watch a video or something like that and ask them what they saw/what meaning they derived from it and if they all say the same thing it might be reasonable to assume that the similarity in processing of the events/video also applies to colour though this would be weak evidence at best.
    Basically, in terms of colour at least we just don't know and I'm not sure we ever will know.

ReputationRep:
    Most people seem to go through life acting as if most other people are automotans there to serve or entertain them. Outside of this, they set up some people who'll they'll never meet in person (not just certain frequently featured in magazines celebrities but also famous politicians or leaders) as essentially deities.

They pass these habits early on to their children.

They do it partly because they feel so removed from the restraint, manners and intelligence of some people that they reason that it is easier to love a distant thing they'll never meet than it is to engage with someone who might challenge their preconceptions.

I know it's a cliche to say but many humans really are massively selfish and limited in empathy towards other people.

This cliche might hold some comfort when you're young, when adults show some reliance on you.

When the same adults show the same reliance on you 30/40 years later without having matured themselves, you realise how selfish and relatively lacking in curiousity or long term development many people are. Their idea of development is being fat and fifty retiring to Spain.

If there is a God he is such a terrible referee that there is no longer a game worth playing.

Poll
Would you rather
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.