Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

How likely am I to get into medicine with mostly A grades at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering how likely I am to be accepted into universities such as Cardiff for example to study medicine with mostly A grades and hopefully one or two A*s? I haven't officially had my results back yet however I'm starting to panic that I'm not good enough even though it's my dream👩🏻*🔬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niadavies123)
    I'm just wondering how likely I am to be accepted into universities such as Cardiff for example to study medicine with mostly A grades and hopefully one or two A*s? I haven't officially had my results back yet however I'm starting to panic that I'm not good enough even though it's my dream👩🏻*🔬
    I had a thread just like this, Im doing the same level as you (mines is national 5, equivalent to GCSE) people who replied said universities dont penalize you that much when its GCSEs, its mainly A levels / highers that they are interested in, as long as you have the minimum grade it shouldnt matter.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on where you apply, some places want 8/9/10 A*s (Cardiff being one of them, i think their cut off has been around 8/9 A*s the past few years), others just want As in the core subjects and some don't care at all.

Focus on getting as many A*s as you can, it gives you more choice as to where you can apply but there are many aspects to a medicine application with GCSE's only being one.

This is also pretty useful if you wanna find out a bit more
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relentas)
    I had a thread just like this, Im doing the same level as you (mines is national 5, equivalent to GCSE) people who replied said universities dont penalize you that much when its GCSEs, its mainly A levels / highers that they are interested in, as long as you have the minimum grade it shouldnt matter.
    Thanks so much! Are you interested in studying medicine too? ive been stressing out so much recently as I've read that there's not point in applying to medical school she unless you have A*s across the board, which I don't... however I'm totally motivate do to smash my a levels, hope it's enough haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    It depends on where you apply, some places want 8/9/10 A*s (Cardiff being one of them, i think their cut off has been around 8/9 A*s the past few years), others just want As in the core subjects and some don't care at all.
    Focus on getting as many A*s as you can, it gives you more choice as to where you can apply but there are many aspects to a medicine application with GCSE's only being one.

This is also pretty useful if you wanna find out a bit more
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
    thanks so much, I'm currently in the middle of my exams right now so I'm trying really hard to win as many A*s as possible hopefully it'll be okay

ReputationRep:
    thanks so much, I'm currently in the middle of my exams right now so I'm trying really hard to win as many A*s as possible hopefully it'll be okay
    Focus on your GCSE's for now, leave worrying about medicine applications till year 12

Although it is a good idea to try and begin arranging work experience this summer, some hospitals can have huge waiting lists ( over a year) for placements.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much! Are you interested in studying medicine too? ive been stressing out so much recently as I've read that there's not point in applying to medical school she unless you have A*s across the board, which I don't... however I'm totally motivate do to smash my a levels, hope it's enough haha
    I was told that as long as you get the minimum then you should be able to get in, sometimes you may get let in even if you are a little below what they want, they want you to show an interesting in medicine and also they want to show how you can be a leader apparently, and yes I am wanting to study medicine too, Im doing the same work as you atm, just in Scotland :P

ReputationRep:
    My best friend got 7As Bs and Cs at GCSE and AAA at Alevel and now studies medicine at UEA. Do not worry this early on, im sure you did great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relentas)
    I was told that as long as you get the minimum then you should be able to get in, sometimes you may get let in even if you are a little below what they want, they want you to show an interesting in medicine and also they want to show how you can be a leader apparently, and yes I am wanting to study medicine too, Im doing the same work as you atm, just in Scotland :P
    Oh cool! This has boosted my confidence! Good luck to you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nobodycarescarla)
    My best friend got 7As Bs and Cs at GCSE and AAA at Alevel and now studies medicine at UEA. Do not worry this early on, im sure you did great!
    Thanks so much! That's amazing! Il try not to haha!

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.