Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Unbelievably depressed about A2 exams :( Watch

So my exams start in just under 3 weeks and despite the work I've put in I see no results

I'm revising solidly everyday and I do past paper questions during the weekend to make sure I understand everything but nothing seems to be going well. I did a politics essay, that was *awful* and all three of my most recent history essays have been substandard.

I need A*AA but I think I will only get ACD. Everything is just completely **** at the moment and I have never felt like such a failure. I've put in so so so much work over the past few months but I don't think any of it will be worth it.

I'm finding history overwhelming because it's AS and A2 all in one year, and there's just so much. My essays are too short and not expansive enough. Everything atm is just a total disaster, I just want this year to end and then reevaluate

I just feel like giving up, at the very last moment.

And before you say getting A*AA is maybe unrealistic, I got AAAB last year but then I felt way more confident

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I just feel like giving up, at the very last moment.
    I was in Washington D.C. for a business trip, it was a Sunday and it was raining. I was walking in downtown D.C. If you haven't seen downtown D.C., seeing groups of homeless people isn't an unfamiliar sight. All desperate people. Some were literally high off the crack they probably sold a bit of their body for, others seeing who would pass them a dollar.

But one guy who was on the street got my attention who was around your age. He could have been no older than a 17 year old boy - but I'll call him a man - and he was hustled into a corner, with the rain pouring onto what belongings he had left, scraping notes down with a used pencil on an old notebook beside his maths textbook. This was around March, exam season around the corner and I can only assume he was studying for an exam.

Here he was, surrounded by bums and washouts, studying for his exam in the pouring rain. Not a second thought for his surroundings, the man was studying for his life to get himself off the ground, literally.

I will never forget that 17 year old and I regularly remind people on my team at work when we're going through a crisis about working through adversity and never giving up.

Giving up is an unfortunate luxury that has been afforded to you. Giving up for that 17 year old would mean a slow descent into a situation where his days on this planet would be in a delicate balance between life and death. Giving up wasn't an option. I hope he passed his exam because that tenacity, that determination, that never-say-die and never give up attitude will propel him past his peers when all things in education are equal.

Let me tell you now, if you give up now, you'll give up for the rest of your life. It is comfortable to give up. But I can tell you're ambitious. And I don't think you will settle for second best. Because I guarantee that, when results day happens, whatever your grades will be, you'll look at the evening of May 18th as a turning point for you. And I can assure that you if you give up this evening, you won't be able to look in the mirror because you'll know deep down you didn't give it your all.

Because whatever grades you get, you're set up for success. Those grades will get you places, they'll get you opportunities.

So get your head space out of the future, out of results day, and concentrate on what you can control right now - at this very moment in time - and give it all your all. And don't worry about failure, failure isn't defined on results day. Failure is defined at moments like this where you want to give up. Success is pushing through that. Because if you give up tonight, you'll give up for the rest of your life.

(Original post by VeniViciVidi)
    I was in Washington D.C. for a business trip, it was a Sunday and it was raining. I was walking in downtown D.C. If you haven't seen downtown D.C., seeing groups of homeless people isn't an unfamiliar sight. All desperate people. Some were literally high off the crack they probably sold a bit of their body for, others seeing who would pass them a dollar.

But one guy who was on the street got my attention who was around your age. He could have been no older than a 17 year old boy - but I'll call him a man - and he was hustled into a corner, with the rain pouring onto what belongings he had left, scraping notes down with a used pencil on an old notebook beside his maths textbook. This was around March, exam season around the corner and I can only assume he was studying for an exam.

Here he was, surrounded by bums and washouts, studying for his exam in the pouring rain. Not a second thought for his surroundings, the man was studying for his life to get himself off the ground, literally.

I will never forget that 17 year old and I regularly remind people on my team at work when we're going through a crisis about working through adversity and never giving up.

Giving up is an unfortunate luxury that has been afforded to you. Giving up for that 17 year old would mean a slow descent into a situation where his days on this planet would be in a delicate balance between life and death. Giving up wasn't an option. I hope he passed his exam because that tenacity, that determination, that never-say-die and never give up attitude will propel him past his peers when all things in education are equal.

Let me tell you now, if you give up now, you'll give up for the rest of your life. It is comfortable to give up. But I can tell you're ambitious. And I don't think you will settle for second best. Because I guarantee that, when results day happens, whatever your grades will be, you'll look at the evening of May 18th as a turning point for you. And I can assure that you if you give up this evening, you won't be able to look in the mirror because you'll know deep down you didn't give it your all.

Because whatever grades you get, you're set up for success. Those grades will get you places, they'll get you opportunities.

So get your head space out of the future, out of results day, and concentrate on what you can control right now - at this very moment in time - and give it all your all. And don't worry about failure, failure isn't defined on results day. Failure is defined at moments like this where you want to give up. Success is pushing through that. Because if you give up tonight, you'll give up for the rest of your life.
    Thank you so so much for those incredibly motivating words, I haven't been able to talk to friends/teachers/family at all about this and so coming here anonymously has helped a lot to get things off my chest.

You're right, I can change the future by acting now and I will regret giving up at the last moment. I hope you have a wonderful day
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I feel exactly the same, I got AAAA last year but this year I would be lucky to get BBB. So much information to learn.
    Just power through, you still have 3 weeks, im sure you will do great!

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, i have had similar feelings, and not just for A-Levels, you are talking university degree level.

Here is how i got through despite this:

1. I reassured myself that the work i had put in going through things was not lost into air. In my brain somewhere, it was registered, and for my brain tto properly store it i had to essentially ensure i play smart, rather than merely work hard.

2. Playing smart means, you now look at what exactly the pit-falls are in the exam. Do you struggle with re-call? Perhaps it is time to make flash cards. You could make 60 per subject, double sided, with the key names of enzymes, processes and facts you seem to be able to totally understand but not re-call.

3. Teach it to an imaginary class! If you take the book and begin to speak outloud and pretend you are in love with the subjects, somehow, this registers in your brain and as you speak out loud and with emotion, you will be able to retain it better and even perhaps understand it.

4. Joined up thinking is key. Remember to try your best to connect different topics together [where appropriate]

5. Keep practising and keep reflecting on where your exam answers and essays are going wrong, do past papers, find the flaw, go and study the section again, and improve retention [above] and examine technique.

3 weeks is a long time, believe me. It is 21 days, and if you studied for 15 hours a day, sleeping for 8, and having 1 hour for other things, that's over 300 hours worth of revision time.

You have to keep going and keep fighting and keep learning, writing, evaluating, reflecting.

Trust me, you are *not* alone feeling like this. Follow this advice and what you think you should do and trust that everything will come together eventually. Keep pressing foward, day by day, don't think about the exams to come but about making the most of the day.

Give me a PM if you need soneone to talk to.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 19, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.