The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Piers Morgan asking whether he could identify as an elephant

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Det.Hartigan
:lolz:

So for thousands, maybe even millions of years (depending on who you believe) we had male and female and in some cases, other.

Yet these are now not good enough for us all?

Well for a small minority of people, no.

I'm not sure the "we got on fine for thousands of years" argument really works.

And this doesn't strike you as odd? Really this makes the DSM diagnosis for this seem like it makes perfect sense...

Sorry, you've lost me here, could you elaborate.
Original post by Manuster
Woah woah woah. Brains are not discernible by gender. There's no "female" brain and there's no "male" brain.

A difference in hormones can cause the brain to act differently, and over time that may cause some sort of variations, but those are not due to males having a completely different brain type as females.

Males produce far more testosterone than women so can tend to be more violent, this may lead to an increase in whatever part of the brain deals with violence,but it is NOT an effect of them being male.

A women who tends to be more violent than average is still a woman and although she may have a similar tendency to the average male does not mean she is not a woman.

The same way a man who tends to be more gentle than the average women is still a man.

Men have bigger, rougher, uglier hands than women. But there is no "man" hand and "woman" hand. They're still the exact same, they've just been used, treated and influenced differently. The same applies for brains,

And besides, a transgender individual takes hormone pills (a good majority at least, I believe). This will lead to their body functioning the way the opposite's gender does...their body including their brain.

There are only 2 genders, a brain scan of a woman taking testosterone pills will simply show a brain that has spent alot of time being used the by a woman transitioning into a brain used by a man. It's the same brain, a human brain. There's no gender to it.

Like I said, early stages...

I never said that brains are male and female, I said that studies have suggest ed some common areas of difference, whether genetic in nature or due to hormonal differences or whatever else, and that there may be some connection her to gender identity. Or it gender identity may purely be psychological and relating to social and cultural factors.

You don't actually know whether brains differ according to sex, or by gender identity. That's why there are studies ongoing on this subject...

It's fair to say that I, you and pretty much everyone on here are fairly ignorant when it comes to this, because so little is known. But there's a big difference between enlightened ignorance and arrogant ignorance.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
And transgenders are just people who think what the society thinks is indeed true. Transgenderism exists entirely because the idea that girls and boys have a certain "look" exists.

In the future, the LGBT movement will likely be a conservative one. There's currently a mismatch between liberalism and mainstream LGBT movements - liberals are supposed to want equality and so different genders should not have any inherent differences, yet trans people stress on those social constructs and package them as inherent differences.

Yes yes yes yes. Everything about this is true.

Males are males because of their chromosomes. The easiest physical manifestation of this is their genitals. Hormones produced as a result of the chromosomes lead to a very vague and broad similarity in behavior, physical appearance and mentality.

These similarities become exaggerated (particularly the really good/really bad ones) and hence stereotypes are born; men are violent, sex driven, prefer Science/Maths subjects, play games, like sports.

The entire idea of transgenderism is that a WOMAN may fit in with 1 or 2 or 3 or most of those stereotypes and therefore, IGNORING the fact that she is indeed a woman, she undergoes surgery and 'becomes' a man.

A 12 year old boy who wears high heels is a 12 year old boy who wears high heels. Not a 12 year old girl.

Just because females often wear high heels doesn't mean you have to be a female to enjoy them...the whole idea of that train of thought seems so absurd.

Ofc he's going to get mocked and called a girl or a sissy or even gay for it. But he's still a 12 year old boy in high heels. He can be perfectly straight and perfectly male. I don't understand where the connection comes from.

And besides.

Feminism: "Females can be muscly without being a man! Men can wear high heels without being a woman!"

Funny thing is, there's absolutely nothing wrong with whole idea of feminism.
It just seems ironic that the transgender community is it's biggest competitor....

A 12 year old boy who wears high heels is a 12 year old boy who wears high heels. Not a 12 year old girl.

So true. Yet why is this so difficult to understand by some?
Yes yes yes yes. Everything about this is true.

Males are males because of their chromosomes. The easiest physical manifestation of this is their genitals. Hormones produced as a result of the chromosomes lead to a very vague and broad similarity in behavior, physical appearance and mentality.

These similarities become exaggerated (particularly the really good/really bad ones) and hence stereotypes are born; men are violent, sex driven, prefer Science/Maths subjects, play games, like sports.

The entire idea of transgenderism is that a WOMAN may fit in with 1 or 2 or 3 or most of those stereotypes and therefore, IGNORING the fact that she is indeed a woman, she undergoes surgery and 'becomes' a man.

Just because females often wear high heels doesn't mean you have to be a female to enjoy them...the whole idea of that train of thought seems so absurd.

Ofc he's going to get mocked and called a girl or a sissy or even gay for it. But he's still a 12 year old boy in high heels. He can be perfectly straight and perfectly male. I don't understand where the connection comes from.

And besides.

Feminism: "Females can be muscly without being a man! Men can wear high heels without being a woman!"

Funny thing is, there's absolutely nothing wrong with whole idea of feminism.
It just seems ironic that the transgender community is it's biggest competitor....

Like what I said, there is a mismatch between the political ideologies and LGBT movements. Your example with feminism just highlighted my point - if women, other than the obvious biological differences, could do and be anything and there is no behavioural difference between men and women, transgenders should only exist for people who for whatever reason want a different set of genitals or body parts (not dissimilar to someone having extensions for longer hair, or dying their hair, or having a boob job). And I do believe sooner or later they will align just like how sooner or later Islam will lose the flavour of the left just like Christianity has. The turning point will be when these things became actually somewhat mainstream. In fact, among certain university students' circles, there are already talks of gay white men not being a minority and being excluded from the conversation.

And your 12-year-old example is also just an illustration of what I'm talking about. However, the "people" who need to understand that are not just people on the left, but everyone. The right may like to say that 12-year-old is still a boy, but they will no doubt also say that boy isn't normal, is sick, and that heels are for girls only. The left enabled transgenderism in this sense, but the right created it.

Regardless, I don't see what the fuss is. I don't care whether someone identifies as what since their personal identity. It's no different from people asking to be called a certain name.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
The turning point will be when these things became actually somewhat mainstream.

Very difficult to imagine a day when this will be the case. It is just much too unusual and this will not change unless something more unusual comes along.
Original post by Det.Hartigan
Very difficult to imagine a day when this will be the case. It is just much too unusual and this will not change unless something more unusual comes along.

If the world is like the Capitol in The Hunger Games.

Quick Reply

Latest