Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. Just curious about something, I have been playing with the student loan calculator. I will be 27 when starting University. Does my parents income still come into the situation? Surely not? These are the figures its showing based on my parents income, would this maintenance loan be enough for my accommodation on campus and for me to buy food and stuff each month?

There isn't alot of information regarding older people and loans etc, so any advice would be great, I just don't see how at 27 they can still expect my parents to help out lol or even take there income into consideration.

Thanks for your time.

ReputationRep:
    It's based on your income x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexsor)
    Hi guys. Just curious about something, I have been playing with the student loan calculator. I will be 27 when starting University. Does my parents income still come into the situation? Surely not? These are the figures its showing based on my parents income, would this maintenance loan be enough for my accommodation on campus and for me to buy food and stuff each month?

There isn't alot of information regarding older people and loans etc, so any advice would be great, I just don't see how at 27 they can still expect my parents to help out lol or even take there income into consideration.

Thanks for your time.
    You're entitled to the full maintenance loan. There are no grants from SFE any more. Your parents income is ignored once you reach 25.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexsor)

Thanks for your time.
    As Tiger says above, over the age of 24 you are considered independent. Your parents are not expected to help you out - you are an adult and your decision to go to uni must be based on your own circumstances. Your SF is not based on your parents' income. If you are giving up full-time work to go to uni, you will be assessed based on having zero income from wages.

If the maximum SF Maintenance Loan doesn't give you enough to live on, you will maybe need to do what I did, and save up for a few years before going to uni. Bear in mind that SF is calculated to help a school leaver applicant rent a room in a shared house. If you have a mortgage or you rent a larger property, you're right that you are likely to struggle with SF alone. It is only intended to be a contribution towards your living costs whilst a student, not to cover all of them.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.