Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

I can't choose a course! Politics vs Korean Watch

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I'm having a bit of an identity crisis at the moment - I'd always wanted to be a vet until the start of this year and now I've decided it's not what I want to do, I'm struggling to decide on anything. Wanting to be a vet was always such a big part of who I was. Anyway, my new aim is to work in the civil service. I have a real love for politics and the inner workings of government, but I'm not really interested in the public exposure that comes along with being an MP or the need to suck up to a party to get anywhere in your job. The thing that's making me think twice about university is that you can apply for the civil service with a degree in any subject.

A politics degree would make the most sense for me to do because I'm currently taking A Level government and politics, and I'm well on track for an A or even A* if I work hard enough. A lot of the courses interest me and I have a wide range of universities to choose from. The only thing is, if I end up with a career in politics anyway, I kind of feel like I should try to branch out and do something a bit different in university. Not only that, if I don't end up in the civil service then I'm stuck with a degree that in some ways binds me to the politics route, when I'm not that interested in research, journalism or some of the other associated careers.

This is where Korean comes in. It's a bit of a wildcard but recently I'm become absolutely fascinated with Korean culture and history, and in particular the language. I've always wanted to be fluent in at least one other language and the fact that the degree also has a focus on history and culture seems perfect for me. The year abroad is a massive bonus as well. But, I haven't taken a language since GCSE (not that an A Level language is a requirement, but it makes me doubt my language learning skills a little bit) and I'm concerned that if the civil service didn't work out I'd be left with a 'useless' degree. Teaching English in Korea interests me but I wouldn't want it to be long term. Not only that, but there are only 2 or 3 courses I'd want to apply for out of the 5 spaces on UCAS and I'm not sure if that's a safe gamble considering that the application to offer rate is about 60%.

If you have any advice at all it would be much appreciated! Any experiences from people that have studied Korean would be particularly helpful, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellasansom30)
    I feel like I'm having a bit of an identity crisis at the moment - I'd always wanted to be a vet until the start of this year and now I've decided it's not what I want to do, I'm struggling to decide on anything. Wanting to be a vet was always such a big part of who I was. Anyway, my new aim is to work in the civil service. I have a real love for politics and the inner workings of government, but I'm not really interested in the public exposure that comes along with being an MP or the need to suck up to a party to get anywhere in your job. The thing that's making me think twice about university is that you can apply for the civil service with a degree in any subject.

A politics degree would make the most sense for me to do because I'm currently taking A Level government and politics, and I'm well on track for an A or even A* if I work hard enough. A lot of the courses interest me and I have a wide range of universities to choose from. The only thing is, if I end up with a career in politics anyway, I kind of feel like I should try to branch out and do something a bit different in university. Not only that, if I don't end up in the civil service then I'm stuck with a degree that in some ways binds me to the politics route, when I'm not that interested in research, journalism or some of the other associated careers.

This is where Korean comes in. It's a bit of a wildcard but recently I'm become absolutely fascinated with Korean culture and history, and in particular the language. I've always wanted to be fluent in at least one other language and the fact that the degree also has a focus on history and culture seems perfect for me. The year abroad is a massive bonus as well. But, I haven't taken a language since GCSE (not that an A Level language is a requirement, but it makes me doubt my language learning skills a little bit) and I'm concerned that if the civil service didn't work out I'd be left with a 'useless' degree. Teaching English in Korea interests me but I wouldn't want it to be long term. Not only that, but there are only 2 or 3 courses I'd want to apply for out of the 5 spaces on UCAS and I'm not sure if that's a safe gamble considering that the application to offer rate is about 60%.

If you have any advice at all it would be much appreciated! Any experiences from people that have studied Korean would be particularly helpful, thanks
    Korean sounds more badass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomSheep)
    Korean sounds more badass
    That's very true haha

ReputationRep:
    I also wanted to be a vet (for most of my life) but decided maybe it wasn't the course for me, I'm also trying to self teach myself Korean as I'm also interested in the culture! You don't necessarily need a degree to learn a language, though It would be pretty cool!

Have you looked to see if there might be a combined degree for politics and Korean as I know it's available for other languages or see if you can do a study abroad year durimg your politics degree and possibly go to Korea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsokamix)
    I also wanted to be a vet (for most of my life) but decided maybe it wasn't the course for me, I'm also trying to self teach myself Korean as I'm also interested in the culture! You don't necessarily need a degree to learn a language, though It would be pretty cool!

Have you looked to see if there might be a combined degree for politics and Korean as I know it's available for other languages or see if you can do a study abroad year durimg your politics degree and possibly go to Korea?
    I have had a quick look and from what I can see SOAS is the only university that runs a combined honours, unfortunately since Korean is such a rare degree it's really hard to find a good combination. Idk about a year abroad in Korea for a separate politics degree but I feel like that wouldn't be very common?? I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it if I couldn't speak the language, but I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You could always just self-study! There's lots of online resources which you can use to learn Korean

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.