Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Further Pure 1 Answers May 2017 Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toby Clements)
    I feel really thick, for the 3x3 matrix one i got two values for a, one being 5 and the other being 2, will i lose marks for this? Really wasn't my exam today :/
    You should have obtained 2a^2-8a-8=0 and this only has one solution so yes you will lose marks.

The question also says "Find THE value ...".

ReputationRep:
    Mr M,

For 6 i) I put z1-z2 in the wrong place

For 6 ii) I calculated the mod correctly but got the arg as -3/20 Pi instead of 7/20 Pi. I guess I forgot to add Pi or something

For 6 iii) I said that it was the line y= tan(-3/20 pi) X or y = -0.510x. This is the equation of the perpendicular bisector I believe, but I didn't say it was the perp bisector I just gave those equations

How many marks will I lose overall do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nareshr100)
    Mr M,

For 6 ii) I calculated the mod correctly but got the arg as -3/20 Pi instead of 7/20 Pi. I guess I forgot to add Pi or something

For 6 iii) I said that it was the line y= tan(-3/20 pi) X or y = -0.510x. This is the equation of the perpendicular bisector I believe, but I didn't say it was the perp bisector I just gave those equations

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Drop 1
    Drop 2
    Drop 1

ReputationRep:
    Mr M,

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i) I don't remember that being as question. Oops. -1 probably.
    ii) -2/3 I would guess. Depends on your working/markscheme.
    iii) Not sure to be honest. Quite possibly none if correct. But also maybe -1 or -2 idk :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britishtf2)
    i) I don't remember that being as question. Oops. -1 probably.
    ii) -2/3 I would guess. Depends on your working/markscheme.
    iii) Not sure to be honest. Quite possibly none if correct. But also maybe -1 or -2 idk :s
    Thanks. What do you reckon the 100 UMS, 90 UMS and A grade boundaries will be? Also what did you and your school think of the paper?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. What do you reckon the 100 UMS, 90 UMS and A grade boundaries will be? Also what did you and your school think of the paper?
    100UMS likely to be 70-72.
    90UMS is hard to tell, but 65-67~ maybe.
    80UMS 58-60~ maybe.

These are hard to guess to be honest so I wouldn't care about them until results day. As for my thoughts, I thought it was easier than last year's but I don't know about what my school thinks [not that it would make much difference as only a few take FM at my school].

ReputationRep:
    Can I get 32 extra marks from them if I tell them that I nearly cried?! I cannot believe how much I ruined that paper, a years work and sod all to show for it. :ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    Mr M,

1: If on the drawing the argand diagram I plotted all points correctly but didn't draw the line connecting them to the origin would I lose any marks?
    2: I found the correct modulus and had some working for the argument but did not get the right answer for the argument part, how many marks would I drop?
    3: How many marks would I drop for not putting down plus or minus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatthewMcColl)
    Can I get 32 extra marks from them if I tell them that I nearly cried?! I cannot believe how much I ruined that paper, a years work and sod all to show for it. :ashamed:
    It'll be all right. Right now you've just got to forget about it and focus on your other exams. Try your hardest and you can give it another go next year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bossman7984)
    Mr M,

1: If on the drawing the argand diagram I plotted all points correctly but didn't draw the line connecting them to the origin would I lose any marks?
    2: I found the correct modulus and had some working for the argument but did not get the right answer for the argument part, how many marks would I drop?
    1) you don't need lines

2) drop 2

3) drop 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bossman7984)
    Mr M,

1: I *think* it's OK to just plot the points; Mr M please confirm/deny this.
    2: -2/-3 most likely
    3: -1 most likely

EDIT: Mr M too speedy
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    1: I *think* it's OK to just plot the points; Mr M please confirm/deny this.
    Complex numbers can be represented by points or vectors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    1) you don't need lines

2) drop 2

3) drop 1
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Complex numbers can be represented by points or vectors.
    Thought as much.

ReputationRep:
    When drawing z1 - z2 on the Argand diagram, can it be a line going from z2 to z1 (going through the real axis from the second to the third quadrant) or does it have to be in the first quadrant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pepperriddim)
    When drawing z1 - z2 on the Argand diagram, can it be a line going from z2 to z1 (going through the real axis from the second to the third quadrant) or does it have to be in the first quadrant?
    Must be a point at/line to (z2-z1)
    i.e. 1st quad - diagram on a previous page (2 or 3 I think)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pepperriddim)
    It needs to be in first quadant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    It needs to be in first quadant.
    Ah okay. I basically drew a line from z2 to z1 which would have the same argument and modulus as the line drawn in the diagram shown on a previous page (parallel to it), so I was able to get the correct values for the modulus and argument. How many marks would I drop for having z1 - z2 in the wrong place? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Must be a point at/line to (z2-z1)
    i.e. 1st quad - diagram on a previous page (2 or 3 I think)
    Thanks! I am slightly confused because I thought z1 - z2 meant a line going from z2 to z1?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatthewMcColl)
    I feel exactly the same way, after I got home I realised all the stupid mistakes I made! (I even messed up the first question)

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.