Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Further Pure 1 Answers May 2017 Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pepperriddim)
    Ah okay. I basically drew a line from z2 to z1 which would have the same argument and modulus as the line drawn in the diagram shown on a previous page (parallel to it), so I was able to get the correct values for the modulus and argument. How many marks would I drop for having z1 - z2 in the wrong place? Thanks!
    Just drop one mark.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I am slightly confused because I thought z1 - z2 meant a line going from z2 to z1?!
    z1 and z2 were define as complex numbers. Hence z1-z2 is a different complex number. You are thinking of vectors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britishtf2)
    z1 and z2 were define as complex numbers. Hence z1-z2 is a different complex number. You are thinking of vectors.
    That makes more sense, thanks

ReputationRep:
    That makes more sense, thanks
    No problem, glad to help.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone rmember the p question as i got -1/2 for p

ReputationRep:
    i acc wanna cry after that exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GugG)
    Simultaneous equations given by C*{x, y, z} = {p, p-1, p-2}

I don't remember what C was.
    You had to find the value of p for which the simultaneous equations were consistent.

ReputationRep:
    How many marks would I lose if I didnt put +/- a/sqrt3 for the last question and also, I accidently eliminated 1/7 in the summation by elimination question but the rest of the question was correct, how many marks do you think I would have lost in that particular question as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GugG)
    when a=2

\begin{pmatrix} a & 1 & 1 \\3 & a & 1 \\5 & 3 & 2 \end{pmatrix}

Thanks Mr M
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. H)
    when a=2

\begin{pmatrix} a & 1 & 1 \\3 & a & 1 \\5 & 3 & 2 \end{pmatrix}

a=2
    FTFY.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nima Karshenas)
    How many marks would I lose if I didnt put +/- a/sqrt3 for the last question and also, I accidently eliminated 1/7 in the summation by elimination question but the rest of the question was correct, how many marks do you think I would have lost in that particular question as well.
    If you just forgot +/- drop 1 mark.

Drop two for the sum.

ReputationRep:
    What sort of grade boundaries are people expecting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    If you just forgot +/- drop 1 mark.

Drop two for the sum.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Mr M,

Could I get some marks for reading part 9iii) as asking for the answer from ii) instead of part i)? I wrote a=0 for part ii), and I solved for P with a=0 rather than checking consistency with a=2.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Mr M,

How many method marks would Q6 (ii) have? Since I worked out incorrect values for z1 and z2, my values for the modulus and arg are wrong. Would I get any working marks?

And how would the marks for Q6 (i) be awarded? Will they just look for the point being in the correct quadrant?

ReputationRep:
    Dear Mr. M,

For the summing from 2 to 30 one i got the sum of the series right, but somehow messed up my working for the actual numerical sum and put the wrong working (as in I did the sum from 1 to 30 minus the sum from 1 to 2) - but somehow got the right answer. How many would i lose?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ucalyptas)
    Mr M,

Could I get some marks for reading part 9iii) as asking for the answer from ii) instead of part i)? I wrote a=0 for part ii), and I solved for P with a=0 rather than checking consistency with a=2.

Thanks
    I bet you won't be the only person to do this. If you are lucky, the Chief Examiner might allow one mark.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jojos bizaro)
    Mr M,

How many method marks would Q6 (ii) have? Since I worked out incorrect values for z1 and z2, my values for the modulus and arg are wrong. Would I get any working marks?

And how would the marks for Q6 (i) be awarded? Will they just look for the point being in the correct quadrant?
    6i) One mark for each of the three points in the right place.

6ii) You'll get a couple of marks I expect.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shreys)
    Dear Mr. M,

For the summing from 2 to 30 one i got the sum of the series right, but somehow messed up my working for the actual numerical sum and put the wrong working (as in I did the sum from 1 to 30 minus the sum from 1 to 2) - but somehow got the right answer. How many would i lose?
    If the examiner notices the mistake, you'll lose one or two marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)

6. (i) Sketch (3 marks)

(ii) \sqrt{18} and \frac{7\pi}{20} (5 marks)

(iii) Perpendicular bisector of line segment joining z_1 and z_2 (2 marks)

Thanks to Mr K and Mr H for their work on this.
    If I put 'angle bisector through the mid point of Z1 and Z2 and through the origin' , will I get the marks for 6)iii).

Any response is much appreciated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.